NUFC thread 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Correct. We often went to Sid James's when the Lads were away, but mainly to see great early 60s top division sides like Spurs, Wolves and ManU in action. Also, I knew a lad from The Lane, Colin Clish, who was a youth player for the Mags and he got a few games for the first team, so I had an interest in that. I vividly remember going with my mates to Ayresome to watch him play a in cup replay one freezing night. At the time a little gang of us were footy mad, and would never miss a game at Roker. I would guess your uncle was the same.
Different times.
Just looked him up.He was captain when the mugs won the Youth Cup in 1962 and went on to play 20 first team games.

Aye even all those years ago the scum got the easy draws. Third Division North York City. We got Man City in the other semi, got beat 0-1 on a quagmire of a pitch which many thought should not of been played.
TBF they got Man City on the final.

I was just reading the other day we played Middlesbrough at St James' Park back in 1905 (iirc) because we were banned from playing at Roker Park because of crowd trouble. A smidge before my time but something I'd never heard of before.
Newcastle v Sunderland was abandoned in 1901 because of crowd trouble (probably caused by the Mags)

Good chance my grandad would have been there. Born in 1933, he would go to watch Sunderland / Newcastle play play throughout the season. That only changed when my dad was born in 57 and my grandma made him pick between the two as she didn’t want him away every weekend watching football! He picked Sunderland and the rest they say is history.

Loads of blokes in hats smerking pipes, in suits, running down the streets with rolled up papers.

The game was a replay. First game ended 1-1 at Sheffield and one of the players I played with at Annfield Plain , Norman Wilkinson , had a header that hit the bar in the last minute that would have won it for York. He spent many a time reflecting on what if. The mags were even jammy in the fifties. Some things never change.
Of the three cups they won in the fifties they had the fortune of playing against 10 men for two of the Wembley finals.
Arsenal were down to 10 men after half an hour and well before the end of the game had sustained other injuries that left them the walking wounded.

Aye even all those years ago the scum got the easy draws. Third Division North York City. We got Man City in the other semi, got beat 0-1 on a quagmire of a pitch which many thought should not of been played.

The fact we actually beat Man City in final doesnt help your reasoning. Butyeah muddy pitch and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back