NUFC thread 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the oldies here...

People often say that SAFC - NUFC rivalry wasn’t as bad in the 50s/60s/early 70s, and I seem to recall Steve Bruce when he was SAFC manager going on about his street in wallsend having red and white flags or something for our 73 final?

If it really wasn’t as bad then, then you can imagine there might have been a sentiment of wanting a fellow NE team to win.

so my question for those old enough to remember ( I was born 74 so only ever remember the hatred from the mid 80s to the present day ) ; what did SAFC fans think about the mags being in the 74 cup final? Was there any black and white flags in Sunderland, or did any Sunderland supporters want the mags to win cos they were another NE team?

Genuinely interested to know this , just occurred to me the other day when I was reading an article about 2 mags in 74 cup final who they reckon started the replica shirt trend for adults
I was 9. I wanted the mags to win. It wasn't really till the 76-77 season when we played each other that I started disliking the bastards.

I can't honestly remember what my feelings were about the game (I was 10) - I just remember that they were as comprehensively outclassed by Liverpool as we were in the 92 final, which is nice, retrospectively :) .

Was only three. My dad talks of how much he loved them losing as they thought they would replicate what we’d done the year before. Reckon the liking all north east clubs thing, which my grandad would talk about, was fading by 60s and definitely gone by the 70s.

The nasty stuff started in the 60's, as a 10 year old in 1970 with an older brother the mags were the only team my Dad wouldn't let us go to, home or away. Monty's testimonial against them (76?) turned very nasty.

All my family loved that final, the mags were completely outplayed and that game could easily have ended 7-0

I never get this feeling some people have?

I have mates who are mags and I really miss derby days as enjoy the banter and piss taking over what is after all.....a game of football.
I hate the black and white b@stards with a vengeance and hope they never win another game ever, of course they have the bragging rights at the minute us being humiliated regularly in the third tier of English football, I don’t miss the derby days at all, hopefully sometime in the future our paths will cross, preferably us going up as they slide into oblivion.

The nasty stuff started in the 60's, as a 10 year old in 1970 with an older brother the mags were the only team my Dad wouldn't let us go to, home or away. Monty's testimonial against them (76?) turned very nasty.

All my family loved that final, the mags were completely outplayed and that game could easily have ended 7-0

I'm the same age and perhaps that one of the reasons I don't like the fcukers, I wasn't allowed to go to RP to watch them, only Saturday game I missed (couldn't go to midweek fixtures during term time either).

Can't imagine it. But I'm not old enough to comment on their history since I'm mid 30s.

If you ask me I'd want to see them bankrupt and to fold. I'd take pleasure in that. Some of their fans want us back in the premier League because they 'enjoy the derby day.' That mentality is alien to me.

weird, derby day is the best day of the season and football is nothing without rivalry, our nearest derby being boro would be f***ing shit

4 of us sat under the tele in the local working men's club playing cards and never watched a minute of it. It annoyed the fuck out of the dozens watching it. We even had one of the bar maids bring beers over during the game. Watching their faces made it oh so sweet a day.
Did you get a lock in? The game kicked off at 3, when said club was closing. All day drinking brought in to law in 2005

Can't argue with that, Bruce is a useless fat bastard.
However Rafa was not much better as the stats prove.
You're right in that regard, he wasn't massively better. What I will say, and I know this isn't stats based, I genuinely had a bit of hope with Rafa. With Bruce I've no idea what comes next.

That's why I think I dislike him more than other shit managers we've had. He's supposed to be one of us, and he talks about us like we're Hartlepool. He's Souness.

Leading up to the game Mal Mouthy Mac was giving it large about tearing them a new one, f***ing Liverpool destroyed them, Mac went with a whimper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typical mag gobshite
Did you get a lock in? The game kicked off at 3, when said club was closing. All day drinking brought in to law in 2005
If you knew certain pubs you could always get all day drinking then I could anyway

plus the act well before 2005

Last edited:
I hate the black and white b@stards with a vengeance and hope they never win another game ever, of course they have the bragging rights at the minute us being humiliated regularly in the third tier of English football, I don’t miss the derby days at all, hopefully sometime in the future our paths will cross, preferably us going up as they slide into oblivion.
I really don’t get people who say they don’t miss derby days ??

So you didn’t enjoy any of the ‘six in a row’ ? Baffling

WBA 1887.

I know Newcastle also lost 3 finals before winning it. So i looked into, and before Newcastle in 1974 there has been WBA, Southampton, Newcastle, both Sheffields, Huddersfield, Sunderland and Notts County.
Twas “at Wembley” the way the saying went. Wembley was built in the 20s iirc.

I really don’t get people who say they don’t miss derby days ??

So you didn’t enjoy any of the ‘six in a row’ ? Baffling
Don't be silly, of course I enjoyed the six in a row but am also old enough to remember the times when it seemed we couldn't beat them to save our lives, the only relevance Newcastle United hold for me is that I always want whoever their opponents are to win, I want Sunderland to win every game, other than these two scenarios football doesn't matter to me.

Keegan two Heighway one Liverpool three Newcastle none. David Colemans commentary went something like that IIRC.
David Coleman - "Newcastle were undressed.....They were absolutely stripped naked!" :lol::lol:

John Helm - "Newcastle United have simply been destroyed. Liverpool 3 Newcastle United 0 in the most one sided Cup Final for years" :lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you still haven't responded to my question about your owner having ties to the middle-east. ;)
Are you confusing our owner with the Louis Dreyfuss Company (LDC) ?
If so, I suggest you look at the directors list.
If not LDC, then enlighten us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back