NUFC July 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I worked with a Mag recently. Young lad who supports them because his grandfatha does. So I asked what is it like to have to take delusional tablets every day. He never spoke to me again and left shortly after.

Newcastle aren't doing that bad - https://www.squawka.com/en/every-premier-league-club-ranked-use-academy-players/

Can't make my mind up about Leicester as it seems too good to be true when every other club is trying to do the same thing - sell Maguire get a decent replacement in, likewise Kante, Drinkwater, Chilwell, Mahrez......luck or shrewd? Remember that period for the mags under Carr when you made some shrewd buys?
I do indeed. With ASM we have, it appears, another one.
I know what you mean about Leicester. They seem to get everything right. A lot of the initial success was attributed to Walsh (I seem to recall) but I think he left for Everton a while back however they seem to have replaced him pretty seamlessly as well.

Get the train from Durham to Newcastle on a match day, the fake Geordie accents get thicker by the mile. It's like they need it to justify existing!

Interesting table.

Surely it reflects a total lack of delusion

I do indeed. With ASM we have, it appears, another one.
I know what you mean about Leicester. They seem to get everything right. A lot of the initial success was attributed to Walsh (I seem to recall) but I think he left for Everton a while back however they seem to have replaced him pretty seamlessly as well.
Its almost as if they are using data to determine which players fit into their system of play 🤔

He had a spell.of about 10-15 games where he was really good, but then just went back to his lazy, huffy best.

So, Benitez played him in loads of games when he was lazy and not really good, no better than Bruce in fact.

Obviously Benitez wasn't able to motivate him either.

Last edited:
So, Benitez played him in loads of games when he was lazy and not really good, no better than Bruce in fact.

Obviously Benitez wasn't able to motivate him either.
Not long term. He has the odd game where he looks okay, but more often then not he ambles round the pitch, then looks for a Hollywood pass if which one in 30 come off. Its often like playing with 10 men with him in the side.

I think its the reason he never made it at Liverpool and has ended up with us.

The point being that once you have had Mbappe dangled (even if it was never likely) any new owners are on a hiding to nothing. Scratch the surface and it wasn't about getting rid of Ashley, or having hope again or investment in the region - it was spending huge amounts of money like PSG, City etc....like a rewind to 1996. Take PiF away and Newcastle are way more attractive than a whole bunch of clubs such as those mentioned. The irony is that dangled carrot could set you back years - zero/to no spend by Ashley for two summers, untouchable by reasonbable buyers due to expectation levels. And even if it goes through PiF turn assets very quickly. This could be different, if you buy into the sportswashing hypothesis, but they are very shrewd investors and must see top teams valued at 3bn+ and the ability to turn a 10x is attractive and the only reason they are at the table. They don't care about the club any more than Ashley does. But a bit of strategy and investment they will be out in under 5 years and the likely only buyers will be a US hedge fund who will cripple you with debt. Fan ownership is gone if PiF buy as the scale, further down the line, will make it impossible. (I had to unblock to read your reply as you got very tedious some time ago!).

It's no great shock that you believe no good would come of PIF's ownership.

I can't speak for every Newcastle fan, but the overwhelming majority want shot of Ashley first and foremost. After tht they want the new owner to show ambition and have a little joined up thinking. The staggering wealth of PIF would have some dreaming of Haaland and Mbappe, but honestly, most just want to see the club push to be the best version of itself that it can manage. Under Ashley, under Bruce, we can't be.
Wrong.

Also victims of our own hubris? The fuck do you mean by that? Since when have SAFC fans been confident, nevermind overly confident?
Plenty of chomps, but this one tickled me.

You thought you'd piss the championship, then League 1, then League 1 again, etc.

Last edited:

I can't speak for every Newcastle fan, but the overwhelming majority want shot of Ashley first and foremost. After tht they want the new owner to show ambition and have a little joined up thinking. The staggering wealth of PIF would have some dreaming of Haaland and Mbappe, but honestly, most just want to see the club push to be the best version of itself that it can manage. Under Ashley, under Bruce, we can't be.

You thought you'd piss the championship, then League 1, then League 1 again, etc.
Finished bothering your cat I see

I think the new ownership at SAFC will get it right and be sustainable which is the best I would hope for to be honest. You just have to look at clubs like Leicester, Atletico etc to see it’s achievable. Most football fans just want to see £££ signs though which shows the state of the game.

Has anyone stopped to ask them what they are actually protesting about and to whom?

As far as I understand it, the Saudis pulled out of the takeover when they refused to provide evidence of who would own the club

So, to date, the mags are protesting against Ashley, The Government, various shops, Sky TV, the rest of the PL clubs, the FA, The Premier League and probably even themselves.
Fabulous!

Will they get any sympathy from other fans? I doubt it - "ahh didums you didn't get to sign Mbappe".

I will love it, if/when the truth comes out, and it is all because of something at the PIF end not PL end.
OR, the Saudis complete the takeover and turn out to be worse than Ashley :lol:

Has anyone stopped to ask them what they are actually protesting about and to whom?

As far as I understand it, the Saudis pulled out of the takeover when they refused to provide evidence of who would own the club

So, to date, the mags are protesting against Ashley, The Government, various shops, Sky TV, the rest of the PL clubs, the FA, The Premier League and probably even themselves.
And cats and bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back