NUFC July 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like we've always said, deluded, 90% of the mags I know are like this.

On my travels I've met loads of decent people from Newcastle who'll happily chat about all kinds of stuff. I always leave any mention of football until the plane is soon to board or the train pull into the station. When I do it's like Dr Jekyll vanished and My Hyde appears. The accent thickens, the voice gets louder and the deluded claims begin.

They can probably get away with it from Man Utd or Spurs fans who can't be arsed to argue or don't have any interest. But if you start to dispute what they're saying, with facts, they become loud and aggressive saying you don't know what you're talking about.

Thing is I do and they can't handle it.

Last edited:

Check out the 10,004 for the Oxford game in April 1991 and the packed terraces. You may think the video thumbnail is the few Oxford supporters scattered on the terraces but you'd be wrong as they're not jumping about at 40 secs when Oxford score ;):lol:

Andy Melville own goal FFS
Aye and there's no denying the crowds have been up there but many would sharp disappear if it goes to shit. Their worst season is 1977/78 when they were 13th highest average as the 7,986 crowd for their last home game (midweek and already relegated) didn't help.

Starting 1993/93 they finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd and 2nd so it was 4 good seasons. The last 3 seasons of the 90's they were 13th,13th and 11th. It wasn't until 2001/02 they finished 4th then 3rd and 5th. So 4 good seasons in the 90's then 3 early 2000's and single 7th in 2005/06 and 5th in 2007/08 is it. They've been no higher than 10th all the other seasons in the Premier League which is very much the norm before 1992 and since Ashley.

In the 14 seasons prior to 1992 they averaged 25th as they were only in the top division for 5 of them. Since they last won summit in 1955, they've finished top 10 just 7 times and 3 of those were in succession from 1967/68 with 4 other single seasons dotted about. I say top 10 but they finished in positions 8, 10, 9, 7, 9, 5 ,8 so it's more like lower top 10.

The delusion of grandeur some of them have due to their overspending and huge wages in the 90's has certainly ingrained into many them for life! :lol: (Hello Tw@tter RTG lurker)

Andy Melville own goal FFS

Last edited:
He had him for a while and played him out of desperation and hit on a winning formula, luck, not judgement.
This. It was obvious how good he was but Bruce persisted with Shelvey and anyone else until he finally realised he was head and shoulders above anyone else. He could and should have started a fair few more games.

This. It was obvious how good he was but Bruce persisted with Shelvey and anyone else until he finally realised he was head and shoulders above anyone else. He could and should have started a fair few more games.
A bigger boy told him to do it :lol:

"Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez says he is mystified about why Jonjo Shelvey isn't involved with England."

A bigger boy told him to do it :lol:

"Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez says he is mystified about why Jonjo Shelvey isn't involved with England."
He had a spell.of about 10-15 games where he was really good, but then just went back to his lazy, huffy best.

This is almost last year's Premier League table, give or take a few places. Leeds a bit high, Arsenal and Spurs a bit low. Palace very low after releasing half their squad this pre season and bringing in a novice manager.

The most noticeable difference by far is that the team that finished 12th last year is marooned at the bottom, miles behind the team in 19th.

This is probably the closest you will get to seeing the mags' self-pitying delusion represented in statistical form. We aren't imagining it, they really are something different.

This is almost last year's Premier League table, give or take a few places. Leeds a bit high, Arsenal and Spurs a bit low. Palace very low after releasing half their squad this pre season and bringing in a novice manager.

The most noticeable difference by far is that the team that finished 12th last year is marooned at the bottom, miles behind the team in 19th.

This is probably the closest you will get to seeing the mags' self-pitying delusion represented in statistical form. We aren't imagining it, they really are something different.
Think we should be qualifying for Europe we get stick, think we will get relegated we get stick. Right I'm saying mid table then!

What have we got to be optimistic about when the club has no other aim than survival? (Which I’d be quite happy with).
Damned if we have high aims, damned if we don’t.

Cant be, because the one that plays for us is f***ing shit.

but when Jonjo plays well the whole team seem to…..surely thats no coincidence
Think we should be qualifying for Europe we get stick, think we will get relegated we get stick. Right I'm saying mid table then!
Which is probably where you will end up again ( but near the top of the bottom half )

Last edited:
What have we got to be optimistic about when the club has no other aim than survival? (Which I’d be quite happy with).
Damned if we have high aims, damned if we don’t.
What are Crystal Palace, Watford, Norwich, Brighton, Brentford, Wolves, Aston Villa, Southampton and Burnleys aims?
What makes you unique to these?

which is where I think you will be, and would be a realistic expectation

given that they had roughly the 12th highest wage bill last year, and have finished 10th, 13th, 13th, and 12th over the last 4 years, that would seem a reasonable expectation.

What are Crystal Palace, Watford, Norwich, Brighton, Brentford, Wolves, Aston Villa, Southampton and Burnleys aims?
What makes you unique to these?
Not with you here, probably with the exception of Wolves and Villa, they’ll all want survival.
I’m not saying we’re unique at all?

They think they're sending a message to Ashley, the PL and their Arabian Messiah.

Last edited:

Interesting table.

Surely it reflects a total lack of delusion by nufc fans though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back