North-South prices

Local places haven't really. The Grange or Bell for example have been around a fiver a pint for ages. Crept up aye, but not nee massive hike.
My local is £6.50 a premium pint in seaham, paying the same in Richmond, London. Something not right. The Ivy restaurant in Richmond not much more than most places in the town. Last time I was down here 8 year ago, remember paying £6.50 a pint in Kings cross, we paying that in most pubs up our way now.

My local is £6.50 a premium pint in seaham, paying the same in Richmond, London. Something not right. The Ivy restaurant in Richmond not much more than most places in the town. Last time I was down here 8 year ago, remember paying £6.50 a pint in Kings cross, we paying that in most pubs up our way now.
As always it depends where you go and what you drink. For me £6.50 is a stupid price for any pint of anything. Whether that's in London or up here, I wouldn't pay it. I'd go elsewhere or drink something less "premium".
The price of a pint everywhere in the country has gone up 70% since 2008. A bit more than that in the pub in the link it would seem and that's two years ago

The only thing that is drastically more expensive is housing IMO.

Those southern types have the same shops, same pub chains, same eateries, petrol is around the same price, public transport appears to be far better.

They are now pricing it in that premium bracket though. Used to be a relatively cheap pint all over the place, now it's up there with the most expensive on the bar. It's 6 quid a pint for it where I am in Manchester and you can add on another 50p to a £1 in the city centre.
Ah, I didn't mean to suggest it hadn't always been priced as a premium drink. Aye.
The gap has definitely closed, price increases have been way more noticeable up here than down there.
I wonder if its because rents and wages haven't really changed much, but the wholesale price of the beer is what has shot up - and that doesn't really change across the UK?

The only thing that is drastically more expensive is housing IMO.

Those southern types have the same shops, same pub chains, same eateries, petrol is around the same price, public transport appears to be far better.
I think there are some differences - gyms, barbers / hairdressers, trades people as a few examples.

Housing is obviously the biggest one though.

More bastard bikes than China.
I found the £19 a bit hard to believe. Looking it up though that is the price. £6.50 for one hour £19 for 3 and £35 for 8 hours.
They're also introducing parking leveys for companies that have more than 10 spaces. One school is going to have to pay £22,000 a year which they will pass on to staff. People are struggling to pay bills in the current climate but still they want more off you.

Guinness is a premium stout
Really?
Guiness is a bog standard porter.
Its the John Smiths of porters
This
The way to guage it is to look at prices up here and down there in the same chain. Spoons up here is the cheapest in the country and around half of the price in London.

The spoons at primrose valley Haven is canny expensive compared to here. To be expected though, I suppose.

Last edited:

Back