North-South prices

The Butcher

Striker
Has the North caught up with the South prices for food and drink etc? Maybe not housing as much. Down sarf this week and paying less in a London pub than for a pint in Sunland. Higher prices in the North without the wage difference?

Has the North caught up with the South prices for food and drink etc? Maybe not housing as much. Down sarf this week and paying less in a London pub than for a pint in Sunland. Higher prices in the North without the wage difference?
Pint of Guinness in Colonel Porter's Newcastle- 6.20, but Guinness is a premium stout so to be expected.
It's usually in gigs and theatres where they really ramp the prices up, I've seen 8 quid for a pint in a shitty plastic cup.
But I was in the The Lake at Marsden a few weeks ago, and a pint of stella plus a pint of diesel cost 6.50, so there are still gems to be found

Not London but recently been to Paris to stay with friends. Actually found it no more expensive eating out than the North East providing you go to the right places.
We went to this place which was insanely cheap. Bottle of wine for 11 euro something. Steak frites for 12 euros something. Queue was out the door though.

The gap has definitely shortened in my experience. Obviously depends what sort of places you go but the prices in even some estate bars in the likes of Washington are London prices of a few years ago, while when I’m in London I feel like the prices haven’t climbed as steeply and quickly as up home.

Pint of Guinness in Colonel Porter's Newcastle- 6.20, but Guinness is a premium stout so to be expected.
It's usually in gigs and theatres where they really ramp the prices up, I've seen 8 quid for a pint in a shitty plastic cup.
But I was in the The Lake at Marsden a few weeks ago, and a pint of stella plus a pint of diesel cost 6.50, so there are still gems to be found

A pint of diesel. Jesus.

Guinness in a mainstay type pub never differentiates massively I've found

Spoons and the odd dregg pub excluded

Paying £50 to £75 a day more for the same role in London than up here.
Which is swallowed up in accommodation

London however once you take out the accommodation aspect you can spend as much or as little.as you want.

Loads of free events always happening and in the know you don't have to spend a fortune on food and drink

I went to that there London about 5 years ago and the f****rs tried to charge me £10 for a tube of toothpaste.

Weird folk down there, no honesty.

Guiness is a bog standard porter.
Its the John Smiths of porters

Not saying its a bad pint, I drink it. But it is what it is - bland and mass produced.
They are now pricing it in that premium bracket though. Used to be a relatively cheap pint all over the place, now it's up there with the most expensive on the bar. It's 6 quid a pint for it where I am in Manchester and you can add on another 50p to a £1 in the city centre.

Back