Non-League this saturday

Wearside League Division One

Ferryhill Athletic 4-0 Birtley Town Development

Attendance: 34

Had planned to go to Silksworth but due to an unforeseen delay I decided last minute to go to the above match.

Arrived on time for the 2.30 p.m. kick-off (as stated on the Wearside League website) only to find out the match had started early at 2.00 p.m. and Ferryhill were already winning 2-0.

Another goal shortly after I arrived so that was game over after watching for five minutes! (Oh and a 70-mile round trip to attend!). Finished 4-0.

Walking out the ground post-match and I saw someone with a match programme (good that FAFC produced one) ... but missed out on one due to the early start!

I've been to numerous non-league games this season but this is the second time this has happened to me recently (the other match was in the North Riding Premier Division where a match kicked-off 15 minutes ahead of the website stated time).

I'm mentioning it here so others don't fall into the same trap as me. Probably best contacting the Club Secretary of the home team to check the k.o. time before setting off for my next match!

international weekend and half decent weather forecast can only mean one thing. not that much on offer round sunderland and the north east though here's a selection:

League 1 - Carlisle v Stevenage

League 2 - Harrogate Town v Bradford

National League - nowt. pools and gateshead both away

National League North - Spennymoor v Gloucester

evo stik Northern League Premier - nowt

evo stik Northern League East:
Ashington v Grimsby
Consett v Stocksbridge
Dunston v Carlton
Newton Aycliffe v Winterton

Northern League:
Seaham Red Star (17th) v Boro Rangers (7th)
Shildon v Crook
West Allotment Celtic v North Shields
Boldon CA v Blyth Town (who are top by a mile)
Chester-le-street v Billingham
Newcastle Blue Star (3rd) v Sunderland West End (20th)

probably Seaham Red Star for us, but the Newcastle Blue Star v Sunderland West End game could be good. pity about Sunderland RCA, played 30 games this season and accumulated only 4 points
I like to go to local teams like Sunderland RCA and West End when SAFC are not playing to support non-League football but they have really struggled for the last couple of seasons. West End have been crap for two seasons in Div 2 now but RCA were doing well in Div 1 until about halfway through last year and then dropped like a stone due to money issues. Lost a lot of players and the management team and had to play a lot of their reserve side so haven’t recovered.

This season they appointed the manger who was at Billingham Synthonia last season who brought in a load of new players but only got one point before he left. They then put the reserve manager in charge who was doing ok, steadied the ship but not brilliant and then got rid of him after he won their first game against Tow Law. New bloke who can’t be more than 25 seems clueless to me. Shouts a lot and has all his coaches miked up but they now concede about 5-7 goals a game. Ironically they had a young lad in goal who had come through the junior section who was brilliant but as soon as this new manger came in he hasn’t been seen since. The two they have in goal now are seriously shite, hence the number of goals they concede each game.

I went through to the match last night and they got beat by Heaton Stanington - it’s looking like relegation to Div 2 for them. I heard who I think was the Chairman being interviewed on social media and he said everything was ok and they had just been unlucky! Being in the position you are now in financially after finishing top half for the last few seasons, having a shite squad and conceding a handful each game being watched by about 40 people isn’t unlucky mate, that’s bad management so you need to step aside and let someone else run the club cos you are obviously out of your depth.

Occasionally go to watch Red Star as well and they have struggled this season.

Wearside League Division One

Ferryhill Athletic 4-0 Birtley Town Development

Attendance: 34

Had planned to go to Silksworth but due to an unforeseen delay I decided last minute to go to the above match.

Arrived on time for the 2.30 p.m. kick-off (as stated on the Wearside League website) only to find out the match had started early at 2.00 p.m. and Ferryhill were already winning 2-0.

Another goal shortly after I arrived so that was game over after watching for five minutes! (Oh and a 70-mile round trip to attend!). Finished 4-0.

Walking out the ground post-match and I saw someone with a match programme (good that FAFC produced one) ... but missed out on one due to the early start!

I've been to numerous non-league games this season but this is the second time this has happened to me recently (the other match was in the North Riding Premier Division where a match kicked-off 15 minutes ahead of the website stated time).

I'm mentioning it here so others don't fall into the same trap as me. Probably best contacting the Club Secretary of the home team to check the k.o. time before setting off for my next match!

same happened with ferryhill at home last weekend as well. a few of the locals turned up for it kicking off at 2.30pm

Went to Seaham Red Star. I was surprised at the amount of moaning to the ref from the managers and the rolling about like professional footballers of the players.

Fantastic result for Gateshead yesterday that gets their play off push back on track after a few iffy results over the last month. Yesterday was a real 6 pointer so to bring the 3 points home will be a huge confidence booster hopefully.

Another big game coming up on Tuesday night with Hartlepool heading for the GIS.

5 of their last 7 league games are at home.

Last edited:
Went to Seaham Red Star. I was surprised at the amount of moaning to the ref from the managers and the rolling about like professional footballers of the players.

I know it's a man's game but one player just blatantly screamed at the ref 'that was a f***ing disgrace' I mean haway man, just asking for trouble. Impossible job at that level really, as you say people just moaning all the time

I know it's a man's game but one player just blatantly screamed at the ref 'that was a f***ing disgrace' I mean haway man, just asking for trouble. Impossible job at that level really, as you say people just moaning all the time
Aye I love the lack of aggro (usually) in the stands at these games but the way the players and coaches go on is ridiculous. To the point where you're thinking if it was a football league game there'd be cards getting dished out all over. Not sure why they don't at that level tbh

Aye I love the lack of aggro (usually) in the stands at these games but the way the players and coaches go on is ridiculous. To the point where you're thinking if it was a football league game there'd be cards getting dished out all over. Not sure why they don't at that level tbh

Noticed a red star coach get his marching orders. Must be a regular occurrence cos heard a couple of players discussing amongst themselves say 'Every f***ing week man, it embarrassing'

They had a legitimate reason to whinge when the lad was played through and chipped the keeper for him to tip it over when Seaham hoyed on a sub during the attack without getting the nod from the ref.

I'm surprised anyone wants to ref or do the line when all they get is grief.

The Boro manager was having a moan at @tunstallhill when he called for offside.

Not really appropriate for this thread but went to watch my mate play for his Sunday league team at Silky this morning. Keepers really poor and they lost 7-5. Some good attacking play in fairness. Managed to warm up with a coffee from the little kiosk at the bottom of the ski slope.

Back