Nightingale Hospital London

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Aunty moved into a care home after her husband died in Nov 18. She had mobility issues but was perfectly healthy. She could have stayed at home with Carers popping in but it was her choice not to and she’s paid privately
Hope she's feeling in okay. I can understand why healthy, older people move there. My personal feeling is that an average care home is often better than paying a fortune for one of these brand new "retirement apartments". The social interaction is usually much higher in care homes and there's often much more structured activities going on.

As a professional working into care homes for the last 6 year, he's right. There are a lot of residents living in 24 hour care facilities that are healthy and move there as a capacitated choice without a care or medical need requiring them to be there. There's more in sheltered or warden controlled accommodation but there are privately funded people in care homes.
Of course there are exceptions to it all but the vast vast majority of people are there for care needs

Hope she's feeling in okay. I can understand why healthy, older people move there. My personal feeling is that an average care home is often better than paying a fortune for one of these brand new "retirement apartments". The social interaction is usually much higher in care homes and there's often much more structured activities going on.
She’s not good, was diagnosed with terminal cancer in Feb and has tested positive twice for covid. She’s not had any covid symptoms but has deteriorated a lot this last week, it’s horrid not being able to see her, my cousin was allowed on Sunday as they thought we might lose her, but she’s still here. (I bet you wish you’d never asked 🙈).
But that aside she didn’t want to be at home by herself and she liked the security of having people there all the time, both Carers and residents. She could have managed if she’d chosen to.

She’s not good, was diagnosed with terminal cancer in Feb and has tested positive twice for covid. She’s not had any covid symptoms but has deteriorated a lot this last week, it’s horrid not being able to see her, my cousin was allowed on Sunday as they thought we might lose her, but she’s still here. (I bet you wish you’d never asked 🙈).
But that aside she didn’t want to be at home by herself and she liked the security of having people there all the time, both Carers and residents. She could have managed if she’d chosen to.
Ah crap that's awful, in sorry to hear it. Nobody could've predicted this in December.
A lot of homes now have iPads or similar devices and you can video call on Facebook or facetime, which is a big help. I know of staff who use their own phones to do it also. E
Even though I deal with care homes must days, I still struggle to understand just how difficult it most be for families not being able to visit for so long, it must be awful for everyone involved

Last edited:
Ah crap that's awful, in sorry to hear it. Nobody could've predicted this in December.
A lot of homes now have iPads or similar devices and you can video call on Facebook or facetime, which is a big help. I know of staff who use their own phones to do it also. E
Even though I deal with care homes must days, I still struggle to understand just how difficult it most be for families not being able to visit for so long, it must be awful for everyone involved
We’ve had video calls, and they are great so that helps a lot. Its really tough it’s me mams last sibling and she’s more like a grandma than an Aunty to me, but there are 1000’s like us sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back