Night Photography in reet scary places..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah... That's where it is :) seen a few of these popping up on Flickr and the likes...

It's the local yoofs that put me off going to places like this. Had some smack heads following me around the Quayside in Newcastle during the day once, even though it was very busy. They would have been wearing my tripod for headware before they got my camera, but it still makes you think, when your out with expensive gear on show.

I was up Penshaw monument in the dark once and all I could hear was a rumble of cows hooves behind me. Fecking shat meesel

They ran harmlessly about 5m to the right of me

It's the local yoofs that put me off going to places like this. Had some smack heads following me around the Quayside in Newcastle during the day once, even though it was very busy. They would have been wearing my tripod for headware before they got my camera, but it still makes you think, when your out with expensive gear on show.

Curiously the only place I've ever had bother was on the quayside. I had to leg it down the hill and cower in the pub at the bottom behind the bouncer. But that was during the day

Last edited by a moderator:
don't know how you dare Mr 'gun capital of the universe'. :lol:

Still not as scary as your average British town.

I'd only been away a couple of years and went to Sunderland, couldn't believe the level of malevolence on the streets.

Edit: Of course if it had been here and some chav had had a pop, I'd have shot him.

I'm in Beirut now and I must say it does have an edge to it with what's happening in Syria. Lots of military in the streets with machine guns that kind of thing. Mrs exile woke me up at about 3am because she thought she could hear explosions :lol: I'm still in bed like so it could of been but were right amongst it in the Hamra district so it was probably a car backfiring.

Such a facinating place and I'm hoping to get out with my camera one day/night. lonely planet sumarise Beirut brilliantly:

What Beirut is depends entirely on where you are. If you’re gazing at the beautifully reconstructed colonial relics and mosques of central Beirut’s Downtown, the city is a triumph of rejuvenation over disaster. If you’re in the young, vibrant neighbourhoods of Gemmayzeh or Achrafiye, Beirut is about living for the moment: partying, eating and drinking as if there’s no tomorrow. If you’re standing in the shadow of buildings still peppered with bullet holes, or walking the Green Line with an elderly resident, it’s a city of bitter memories and a dark past. If you’re with Beirut’s Armenians, Beirut is about salvation; if you’re with its handful of Jews, it’s about hiding your true identity. Here you’ll find the freest gay scene in the Arab Middle East, yet homosexuality is still illegal. If you’re in one of Beirut’s southern refugee camps, Beirut is about sorrow and displacement; other southern districts are considered a base for paramilitary operations and south Beirut is home to infamous Hezbollah secretary general, Hassan Nasrallah. For some, it’s a city of fear; for others, freedom.

Throw in maniacal drivers, air pollution from old, smoking Mercedes taxis, world-class universities, bars to rival Soho and coffee thicker than mud, political demonstrations, and swimming pools awash with more silicone than Miami. Add people so friendly you’ll swear it can’t be true, a political situation existing on a knife-edge, internationally renowned museums and gallery openings that continue in the face of explosions, assassinations and power cuts, and you’ll find that you’ve never experienced a capital city quite so alive and kicking – despite its frequent volatility.

And you bastards would have me go here by my self at midnight!

ffs.. http://ghostystuff.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/seaton-delaval-hall-mausoleum-and.html

chicken :lol: I still really fancy a trip up there though...

I think THIS place would take some beating like!

...if it's still there, that is.

Cherry Knowle has been secure for a long time, demolition started a few months ago. Would have been nice to get in - http://www.contaminationzone.com/Gallery52.php
What's a real shame, is that it was a gorgeous building, not just another crappy abandoned site.

I was up Penshaw monument in the dark once and all I could hear was a rumble of cows hooves behind me. Fecking shat meesel
:-D I got stalked by one solitary f***ing mad cow one Sunday morning up there. The cows on that hill are crackers.

Scariest place I ever went on my own was the abandoned Cerebos/Sharwoods place at Hartlepool http://www.davidharrisphotography.co.uk/hidden_spaces/photo/15 When you're on your own, you scare yourself though - when I went back with a few others, it was fine - till we were turfed out of the place by the Armed Nuclear Police (it's close to the power station)

The most 'danger' you probably find yourself in is from charver/smack heeds though. On occasion I've shoved my ipod headphones in (bright white so they stand out) but don't play anything, so you can still hear everything going on around you. Nine times out of ten, if its a bunch of chavs they shout at you to show off and 'impress' their mates. If they think you can't hear them, they don't bother - or they'll do it once and get no reaction from me - so it doesn't escalate. Give it a go - it works.

oh, about tonight, don't think i can make it, not free till about 10.30 :neutral:

That's OK mate will give you a shout if out else gets organised. :cool:

I just meant you would open a can of whoop-ass if any zombies or ghosts tried it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's OK mate will give you a shout if out else gets organised. :cool:

I just meant you would open a can of whoop-ass if any zombies or ghosts tried it on.
i'd be off like a shot! don't need to outrun the ghosts, just you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back