NFL 2019

Aye I thought the Browns were poor, Mayfield looks a bit lost. But they got the win, and we were an absolute rabble
I didn't stay up to watch it. Browns will need to improve. Ideal opportunity for them to at least get a wild card with Big Ben out for the season and the Bengals being shite.

The Premier League / NFL wage paradox is interesting.

Teams in the Premier League struggling to compete due to the ridiculous high wages being paid by the top clubs.
In the NFL you have teams struggling to compete with New England due to the low wages the Patriots are able to pay top players and thus build stronger roster depth. Look at what Brady gets paid (in year cap hit) compared to the likes of Stafford, Cousins, Rodgers, Newton, etc.... This is prevalent across the roster.

Teams in the Premier League struggling to compete due to the ridiculous high wages being paid by the top clubs.
In the NFL you have teams struggling to compete with New England due to the low wages the Patriots are able to pay top players and thus build stronger roster depth. Look at what Brady gets paid (in year cap hit) compared to the likes of Stafford, Cousins, Rodgers, Newton, etc.... This is prevalent across the roster.

No doubt they're an outstandingly ran organisation but they've literally traded away any decent draft picks for the next 2/3 years. It's very much a short term model.

There's more to the story than pure numbers with this though so he's probably not the best example to use tbh buddy. His final years have always included huge cap hits but they've always negotiated way before it comes into play thus allowing the Pats to spread the money around more. Plus he's been open that his wife probably makes more than him so he's open to be a bit more flexible than if that was the case. This year his cap hit is just shy of $30m which is highest of career but no doubt it will be re-worked to free money up.

@ChrisAshley whats your thoughts on the trade? From a rivals point of view I couldn't be happier tbh. Such the wrong move to make with bigger issues at hand. Think you'll trade someone to reclaim the first?

Last edited:
@ChrisAshley whats your thoughts on the trade? From a rivals point of view I couldn't be happier tbh. Such the wrong move to make with bigger issues at hand. Think you'll trade someone to reclaim the first?
I don't mind the move but that's based on hoping they have faith in Rudolph, if Rudolph is shit not only do we most likely get a top 10 maybe 5 pick but also we'll need a young QB and the draft is apparently a good one for QBs but I don't mind us using a first round pick on a proven 22 year old no guarantees that we would draft a good player especially with our recent history of trying to find good secondary players also we do have plenty of picks after the 1st round and a comp pick for Bell to come too. I have zero faith in Keith Butler putting together a good defence though, IMO we have one of the best front 7's in the league there's plenty of talent in the defence but still we have the same old issues which is down to coaching, poor tackling, having our linebackers cover the best WR, 3rd and 16 and we'll not bother to put a QB spy on Russell Wilson and let him have all the yards to the first down marker because as if Russell Wilson would run with it! So I don't see Fitzpatrick changing much until Keith Butler does go so it might feel like a wasted pick until then.

Using a 1st on a player and trading up in the first round is definitely not Pittsburgh like things to do so I don't know if that's down to desperation or catching up with the times.

Last edited:
I don't mind the move but that's based on hoping they have faith in Rudolph, if Rudolph is shit not only do we most likely get a top 10 maybe 5 pick but also we'll need a young QB and the draft is apparently a good one for QBs but I don't mind us using a first round pick on a proven 22 year old no guarantees that we would draft a good player especially with our recent history of trying to find good secondary players also we do have plenty of picks after the 1st round and a comp pick for Bell to come too. I have zero faith in Keith Butler putting together a good defence though, IMO we have one of the best front 7's in the league there's plenty of talent in the defence but still we have the same old issues which is down to coaching, poor tackling, having our linebackers cover the best WR, 3rd and 16 and we'll not bother to put a QB spy on Russell Wilson and let him have all the yards to the first down marker because as if Russell Wilson would run with it! So I don't see Fitzpatrick changing much until Keith Butler does go so it might feel like a wasted pick until then.

Using a 1st on a player and trading up in the first round is definitely not Pittsburgh like things to do so I don't know if that's down to desperation or catching up with the times.

I personally think you's are tilting in terms of where the rest of our division are going which isn't like yous but needs must I guess when you lose AB and Bell. If you look at whats happened the division has become very passing based unlike recent history. Got us with Hollywood, Andrews, Boykin, Hill (out the backfield), Browns with OBJ, Landry, Njoku and Bengals with AJG, Boyd and Ross (surprisingly) this season. I think you's are trying to counter act that.

Agree though i'm surprised they didn't want to hang fire to see how Rudolph gets on but guess they're showing him complete faith. Mind the way the draft is setting up you're going to need a top 3 pick to get any of the top QB in class this year. Don't think you'll tank that much anyway so maybe you see MF as better than the draft options available in the secondary

No doubt they're an outstandingly ran organisation but they've literally traded away any decent draft picks for the next 2/3 years. It's very much a short term model.

Not sure where to start with that. They've dominated for nearly 20 years now. Nobody else can sustain a year or two and this plan is ongoing.

Regards draft picks the exact opposite is true and they've actually built up a collection for the next few years. Antonio Brown cost them nothing in draft picks and they agreed a deal which was a fraction of what he was getting in Oakland. In the 202 draft for example the Patriots have a 1st round, 2nd round, 3x 3rd round, 2x 4th, 2x 6th and 3x 7th. These lower round picks are what they've used to do some tweaking to the bottom end of the roster in the last week or so and bring in some linemen to fill the gaps due to injuries. But in terms of overall picks they are loaded at the top of the draft and have loads of collateral at the bottom.
There's more to the story than pure numbers with this though so he's probably not the best example to use tbh buddy. His final years have always included huge cap hits but they've always negotiated way before it comes into play thus allowing the Pats to spread the money around more. Plus he's been open that his wife probably makes more than him so he's open to be a bit more flexible than if that was the case. This year his cap hit is just shy of $30m which is highest of career but no doubt it will be re-worked to free money up.

Brady's cap hit this year is only $21.5mil. He's always structured team friendly deals even before he was married to Gisele. That's not really a factor. What

Last edited:
Not sure where to start with that. They've dominated for nearly 20 years now. Nobody else can sustain a year or two and this plan is ongoing.

Regards draft picks the exact opposite is true and they've actually built up a collection for the next few years. Antonio Brown cost them nothing in draft picks and they agreed a deal which was a fraction of what he was getting in Oakland. In the 202 draft for example the Patriots have a 1st round, 2nd round, 3x 3rd round, 2x 4th, 2x 6th and 3x 7th. These lower round picks are what they've used to do some tweaking to the bottom end of the roster in the last week or so and bring in some linemen to fill the gaps due to injuries. But in terms of overall picks they are loaded at the top of the draft and have loads of collateral at the bottom.

They've been the best team but they haven't 'dominated' the entire NFL at all. They dominate a reasonably poor conference and a very poor division. The odds are already stacked for the Pats before a play is called.

You have Brady on very low cap value when in reality he has 1-3 years left. Even with a rookie or backup QB after him they are either gonna demand top money or you'll need elite WR and RB moving forward to compensate. AB will not last the year with the Pats and your organisation has a habit of trading draft picks away instead of using them anyway. There's not a lot to trade with even with what you've quoted.

My Saints are in a very similar position and we have 1-2 years max now to win the Superbowl imo before a wilderness period.

They've been the best team but they haven't 'dominated' the entire NFL at all. They dominate a reasonably poor conference and a very poor division. The odds are already stacked for the Pats before a play is called.

You have Brady on very low cap value when in reality he has 1-3 years left. Even with a rookie or backup QB after him they are either gonna demand top money or you'll need elite WR and RB moving forward to compensate. AB will not last the year with the Pats and your organisation has a habit of trading draft picks away instead of using them anyway. There's not a lot to trade with even with what you've quoted.

My Saints are in a very similar position and we have 1-2 years max now to win the Superbowl imo before a wilderness period.

I hate the Pats as much as anyone....but I think your underestimating just how clever and well-run they are.

Aye, they're in a piss-poor division which has undoubtedly helped them over the years. But they're just seem so far ahead of the league - the fact they seem so savvy to the compo pick system, or how they switch their game/strategy for each opponent, or how they seem to always make clever pick-swap trades. Jesus, they've just robbed a sixth rounder for us for an over the hill, injured WR.

Bellichik is a bellend, but he's also an absolute genius. Does my f***ing head in :lol: :lol: :lol:

As per the post above. New England actually has a better record against the NFC than AFC during this period and also has a better record against the rest of the NFL than the other teams in the AFC East, so your first paragraph can be ignored. As for the AFC being a reasonably poor conference, the AFC has a 5-3 record in Superbowl that the Patriots weren't in since 2003.

Theres not really much history of trading away draft picks. You can cite the 2017 draft where they only had 4 picks but if you look back through the Belichick era you'll see they actually acquire and stockpile draft picks consistently more than almost every other team. They are also more than happy to lose players as they reach a period in their career where they want overpaying. When a player leaves and sets the market in free agency for his position like Nate Solder, Trent Brown, Trey Flowers, etc did in recent years they receive high round compensatory draft picks which they use as collateral to move around the draft board and/or acquire veterans via trade like Kyle Van Noy recently from Detroit.

Then you mention needing elite WR/RBs to continue to compete. They currently have Antonio Brown, Josh Gordon, Julian Edeleman, Philip Dorsett, Sony Michel, Rex Burkhead and James White. There aren't many teams in the NFL that can match that. The entire Patriots RB group gets paid less than Zeke Elliott on his own. They manage their cap better than anyone. They don't need to trade for star players because they can pick up free agents and pay them less due to the fact that many players want to come to New England to win. See Darrelle Revis, Antonio Brown, Chris Long, Marty & Michael Bennett. These players may just stay for a year or two, but when we are picking up 2/3 of these players every year its not important that there is high turnover.

Last edited:
As per the post above. New England actually has a better record against the NFC than AFC during this period and also has a better record against the rest of the NFL than the other teams in the AFC East, so your first paragraph can be ignored. As for the AFC being a reasonably poor conference, the AFC has a 5-3 record in Superbowl that the Patriots weren't in since 2003.

Theres not really much history of trading away draft picks. You can cite the 2017 draft where they only had 4 picks but if you look back through the Belichick era you'll see they actually acquire and stockpile draft picks consistently more than almost every other team. They are also more than happy to lose players as they reach a period in their career where they want overpaying. When a player leaves and sets the market in free agency for his position like Nate Solder, Trent Brown, Trey Flowers, etc did in recent years they receive high round compensatory draft picks which they use as collateral to move around the draft board and/or acquire veterans via trade like Kyle Van Noy recently from Detroit.

Then you mention needing elite WR/RBs to continue to compete. They currently have Antonio Brown, Josh Gordon, Julian Edeleman, Philip Dorsett, Sony Michel, Rex Burkhead and James White. There aren't many teams in the NFL that can match that. The entire Patriots RB group gets paid less than Zeke Elliott on his own. They manage their cap better than anyone. They don't need to trade for star players because they can pick up free agents and pay them less due to the fact that many players want to come to New England to win. See Darrelle Revis, Antonio Brown, Chris Long, Marty & Michael Bennett. These players may just stay for a year or two, but when we are picking up 2/3 of these players every year its not important that there is high turnover.

Ignored? Bit arrogant. The division you find yourselves in means you are absolutely guaranteed the play offs every single season, irrespective of your records against non-divisional teams. I'm also referring to the AFC as a whole. The 2 outstanding teams look like being the Chiefs and the Patriots, but the rest of the AFC are very much bang average. (I think the Ravens can be contenders this year)

The NFC this year has the Saints, Rams, Cowboys as outstanding candidates, not to mention the Eagles, Vikings, Packers who are all strong. Then you get onto Carolina, Atlanta and maybe even San Francisco and Seattle who are decent outside bets.

By my reckoning there are only 5 genuinely poor teams in the NFC and they are literally spread over 4 divisions.

My argument to your 5-3 argument AFC/NFC would be that the path to the Superbowl for NFC teams is a lot tougher. All in my opinion of course.

Brady's cap hit this year is only $21.5mil. He's always structured team friendly deals even before he was married to Gisele. That's not really a factor. What

Don't the Patriots also pay to use TB12 sports therapy, owned partially by Tom Brady?
Ignored? Bit arrogant. The division you find yourselves in means you are absolutely guaranteed the play offs every single season, irrespective of your records against non-divisional teams. I'm also referring to the AFC as a whole. The 2 outstanding teams look like being the Chiefs and the Patriots, but the rest of the AFC are very much bang average. (I think the Ravens can be contenders this year)

The NFC this year has the Saints, Rams, Cowboys as outstanding candidates, not to mention the Eagles, Vikings, Packers who are all strong. Then you get onto Carolina, Atlanta and maybe even San Francisco and Seattle who are decent outside bets.

By my reckoning there are only 5 genuinely poor teams in the NFC and they are literally spread over 4 divisions.

My argument to your 5-3 argument AFC/NFC would be that the path to the Superbowl for NFC teams is a lot tougher. All in my opinion of course.

I would say the Chargers, Bills, Ravens and Steelers could equal the Vikings, Falcons, Packers and Saints minus Brees. Not to mention the Panthers are already 0-2 and Cam is now out for at least 1 week.

Pats, Chiefs, Cowboys looking the strongest 3 teams in my opinion.

Last edited:
Don't the Patriots also pay to use TB12 sports therapy, owned partially by Tom Brady?

I would say the Chargers, Bills, Ravens and Steelers could equal the Vikings, Falcons, Packers and Saints minus Brees. Not to mention the Panthers are already 0-2 and Cam is now out for at least 1 week.

Pats, Chiefs, Cowboys looking the strongest 3 teams in my opinion.

TB12 has a facility at Patriot Place but the Patriots don't use (or endorse) TB12 methods. In fact, there is a big fallout where Belichick banned Alex Guerrero (TB12's guru) from working at the Patriots practice facility or being on the sideline during games. Belichick flat out doesn't like the guy.

TB12 has a facility at Patriot Place but the Patriots don't use (or endorse) TB12 methods. In fact, there is a big fallout where Belichick banned Alex Guerrero (TB12's guru) from working at the Patriots practice facility or being on the sideline during games. Belichick flat out doesn't like the guy.

Tbf the bloke’s methods are mental, so it’s not surprising BB has little time for him.

Back