Newcastle in tier 3

per 100k there are some parts of London higher than the North East.

London has the lowest decrease also.
This is the map of Covid tiers:
Logon or register to see this image

There is an interactive map at:

They mostly match up. The exceptions are London with some darker blue areas that are in tier 2, where as neighbouring Kent is tier 3. However swale is very high so they may be creating a buffer zone around that.

There are a few counties (Suffolk and Oxfordshire I think) that have low rates and are tier 2.

This is the map of Covid tiers:
Logon or register to see this image

There is an interactive map at:

They mostly match up. The exceptions are London with some darker blue areas that are in tier 2, where as neighbouring Kent is tier 3. However swale is very high so they may be creating a buffer zone around that.

There are a few counties (Suffolk and Oxfordshire I think) that have low rates and are tier 2.

How distinct are those boundaries man? :lol: Someone's blatantly just put their finger in the air to decide the tiers.

I feel so sorry for her :(
One of my wife's friends is still in travel (my missus lost her job/contract with the same company last month) and is earning nothing - literally nothing. Some months she owes the company money for commission that has to be returned when customers cancel holidays that she booked for them.

She lives in Cornwall in a house that costs £1000 per month to rent. Her husband is furloughed and because she cannot earn any money they have been told they are in danger of eviction in the next month or so. She does not qualify for the self-employment grants as she only went self-employed at the beginning of this year. She has tried for other benefits and got told she was eligible for £56 per month.

She is at her wits end - on the phone every day, in tears, to my missus who is equally upset because she feels so helpless and can't help.

Hospitality and Travel have been well and truly thrown under the bus.

One of my wife's friends is still in travel (my missus lost her job/contract with the same company last month) and is earning nothing - literally nothing. Some months she owes the company money for commission that has to be returned when customers cancel holidays that she booked for them.

She lives in Cornwall in a house that costs £1000 per month to rent. Her husband is furloughed and because she cannot earn any money they have been told they are in danger of eviction in the next month or so. She does not qualify for the self-employment grants as she only went self-employed at the beginning of this year. She has tried for other benefits and got told she was eligible for £56 per month.

She is at her wits end - on the phone every day, in tears, to my missus who is equally upset because she feels so helpless and can't help.

Hospitality and Travel have been well and truly thrown under the bus.
Absolutely awful stuff, its a bloody nightmare :cry:

Liverpool tier 2 as their reward for doing what the government asked straight away.
Manchester tier 3 because Burnham caused problems so they’ve put him back in his box
Or -- Liverpool tier 2 because they took advice with mass testing , which has brought the case rate down,

^ This is why you’re in T3
Exactly.
People seem to think this is some sort of 'game',
Dont get our own way and we'll rebel and break the rules.
The more people moan and refuse to adhere to restrictions, the longer this will go on, and then they'll moan again and spit out their dummys and so the cycle continues.

I don't know where she gets her numbers from, but they are wrong. I understand about being frustrated though, just seems the students are not the group to be frustrated at this time. I think it is a bit of everything. Some pubs, some schools, the Universities, house visits etc. Same as the rest of the country, only we have been lucky so far that numbers have been low down here until the last few weeks.

I was quite surprised when I looked at the figures though. 17-19% is quite high for an area, just to be students so I started looking at population numbers. The last census had the Canterbury population at 43k. UoK student numbers are 19k and 17k at CCCU. That means when the students are in residence, the population of the city swells by 83%! Or put another way, during term time, students make up 45% of the local population. That is almost every other resident you meet will be a student.

I know Canterbury is small and student numbers are high, but I was quite surprised the ratio was so high. Made me realise what a massive difference both universities make to the local economy.
You teach at Christchurch? My other half is at St Ed’s

^ This is why you’re in T3
Well I have up to now, so I think you’re full of shite pal.
Yup. The victim mentality from some posters on here is ridiculous :lol:
It’s not a victim mentality at all.

Cases are coming down, got family I want to see while still taking precautions.

If they actually provided a route out (get cases and hospitalisation under X amount for tier 2, I’d do it. Not this make it up as you go shite, though.

Last edited:
Well I have up to now, so I think you’re full of shite pal.

It’s not a victim mentality at all.

Cases are coming down, got family I want to see while still taking precautions.

If they actually provided a route out (get cases and hospitalisation under X amount for tier 2, I’d do it. Not this make it up as you go shite, though.

You may have, but there’s thousands of others who don’t follow the rules

Back