Newborn baby sleeping advice..

Doesnt get any better imo.. My lad is nearly 5, gets up at half 5 on the dot every day and often wakes me up in the middle of the night to get into our bed. Ive not had a decent nights sleep since the day he was born. Roll on puberty.

My 5 year old comes into our room every now & again asking can he sleep in our bed. I'm always too sleepy to care, but my wife will not allow it. I kind of admire her will power. It's so much easier to have him come in for a cuddle, but she reckons if we start leaving him in, he'll try it more and more.

Utter shite mate. I’ve spent many an hour watching my kids are safe and fall back to sleep naturally. It’s not natural to pander to every cry they make. Indeed, it encourages this as the child receives more attention the more they cry and both the child and the parents suffer.
Sounds like you need more sleep iirc

Congrats to the OP

My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 5 1/2 years old and at 9 usually still doesn't, so I am not one to offer advice :lol:

Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Now do we just try to get her to settle into our routine or do we go with hers?

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

Don't know what to do for the best...

Trying to make sure we all get plenty of sleep..
They advise not to do this now, something to do with hip problems.

Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Congratulations on your new baby daughter.

She is two weeks old so just go with what she needs for the next few weeks. Sleep when she does, try and maybe share the care so maybe one night you sleep and the next your partner does. Don't worry about a tidy house. Commandeer friends and relatives into tea making, shopping etc.

Are you demand feeding, just feed her when she needs it. After about six weeks you can start trying to establish some kind of routine if you prefer.

Definitely get her working to your routine - don't let her dictate the hours - you dictate the feeds, the awake time, the sleeping time. It will be a hellish few weeks but worth it in the end. We let my son dictate his own hours and we suffered for 3 years. My daughter was put in her own room from 6 weeks and even now, 8 years later is a slave to her routine.

Look into ‘Swaddling’.

Basically, wrap the baby so his/her arms are close to their body and they feel enclosed. It is representative of being in the womb.

If he/ she wakes up during the night, re swaddle and emphasise getting them back to sleep, not attention or feeding.

I had my kids sleeping for eight hours plus within a few months by being a strong parent, not a concerned one.
100% This. Great advice

First of all mate congratulations on your new arrival, I can't give you any advise as me and the wife (no) tried almost everything. I even bought a camp bed and put it next my daughters bed and that didn't work. We went 1 month short of 5 years before the little one went through the night. Best of luck mate !

I’m of the opinion that the more you pander to every noise or movement the more they get used to get the attention they want at ridiculous times. Ive had a fair bit of experience with premature twins (now 5) and my partners daughter who is still under 2.
As stated though, every situation is different and sometimes there’s no right or wrong answer. Just keep doing what’s right for you mate and you’ll come out the other side a stronger man. Character building n all that!
We went on the non pandering sleep in your own room route. Granted it was 30 years ago but they never had bother sleeping.

It’s almost like those who have walked the more difficult path have reaped the reward.
Aye We had a really rough start tbh mate. New parents with twins, I didn’t know me arse from me elbow some days :lol: . Really strict routine and not believing the fake cries were key in the end and it didn’t take too long for everything to settle down.

By the way, congratulations to the op if I haven’t already said it somewhere else ! Good luck with everything.

I feel for you. My two slept right through after only a couple of months.
One bit of advice i was told and i give is routine. Bath same time everyday. Put to bed the same time everyday. Even if that means you have to come home from events. We did in order the night time routine was exact. Before long they fed at same time everyday which made everything easy as we could plan around this

It took my daughter until she was 7 to sleep properly. All the best mate, she’s worth all the hard work and sleepless nights.

As a father of kids aged 11 and 8 I can't imagine having to do the newborn baby thing again. The feeling of constant fatigue, the spirit crushing feeling when that baby wakes AGAIN
Good luck to you all

Is she on the tit? If so she’ll take less food, bottling will give you more time between feeds.

2 weeks old is too early for controlled crying, the kid has barely opened their eyes.

I’d advise going with their routine until about 3 months then gradually enforce yours i.e. cut out night feeds by timing daytime ones better. Cut out daytime naps by about 6 months, no need then their knackered come bedtime. Give them a dark, quiet, temperate room etc.

Swaddling, never did this. Never had to.

I say this with a 3 and half year old who has slept 12 hours a night since 12 weeks and a second on the way.

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

Don't know what to do for the best...

Trying to make sure we all get plenty of sleep..
Keep persisting with a routine, it’ll pay off in the long run. Mine are 15 months old and sleep 7 till 7

Got a 20 month old. He can nap in the daytime anytime up until 13.30 ish (often he doesn't nap at all), then no napping allowed as he won't go down to sleep at night. If the routine is followed he sleeps from about 19.30 - 07.30

My 5 and 3 year olds have a strict routine, up to bed by 7 and asleep by what ever the duck time they decide to turn over, then they get up every single day before me and drag me down the stairs for either a game of football out building train sets, so I have no advice for the op apart from enjoy then when there young as time flys mate

Back