New Wear Bridge - Pylon arrival on the Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the decision was taken due to tide times and weather. It was pretty calm and settled this morning. Sunday looks overcast and more chance of rain.

That's fair enough and reading back through the posts some one on here knew about it a week ago, but it wasn't well publicised. If a post on the SMB is their way of informing the public that's not very good.

The building of the Wearmouth Bridge was also a Civil Engineering project, look at the ceremony for the installation of one silver rivet. I'd imaging Cllr Watson will replace the Duke of York this time around.

That's fair enough and reading back through the posts some one on here knew about it a week ago, but it wasn't well publicised. If a post on the SMB is their way of informing the public that's not very good.

The building of the Wearmouth Bridge was also a Civil Engineering project, look at the ceremony for the installation of one silver rivet. I'd imaging Cllr Watson will replace the Duke of York this time around.

They haven't opened the new bridge yet. How do you know royalty won't officially open that?

That David Allan fella has some cracking pictures on Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidm_allan.

Logon or register to see this image

It's canny big.

Is that a dent?

If he lives long enough to see it opened.
He looked a tad rough before Christmas with that cancer he's got.

No advertisement due to it happening in the dark.

Didn't want to encourage the public to the riverside in the dark incase some numpty falls in!

Bastards :evil::evil:

why was this not publicised ? fair enough the council werent going to make any money by advertising it, but would have been nice to watch a piece of history happening. i know quite a lot of people who would have liked to have watched this. twats

Because life is too short to watch a lump of metal float along a river

Surely the bit that came up on the barge (as per photos) is just the top piece of the pylon? It doesn't look like the whole thing to my admittedly untrained eye.

Actually having looked again it seems like most of the bit above the road deck, so ignore me please...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back