New signings for the 2021 season

Haha. Hope this doesn't apply to 2nd and 3rd team mind. Why should the average local cricketer looking to play recreationally have to wait for 1st team overseas.

Why should first teamers who (mostly) play for the pleasure wait for a pro too?

If you started the 2s and 3s before first teams you’d get a load of ringers playing, it’d be crap.

Durham Uni are due to play a Northumberland Dev side in 2 T20 games at the Big Meeting fie
Durham Uni are due to play a Northumberland Dev side in 2 T20 games at the Big Meeting field on Sunday 11th April at 11:00 and 14:30.The Colonel is down to umpire .

Last edited:
Likewise mate. Was hoping they would be. Good set of lads
I love that phase ‘good set of lads’. It’s always reserved for a team who generally get turned over, bottom of the league and a club struggling, or on hard times. It never gets rolled out for a competitive, or an ‘in your face’ successful team winning things. Strange that !!

Last edited:
I love that phase ‘good set of lads’. It’s always reserved for a team who generally get turned over, bottom of the league and a club struggling, or on hard times. It never gets rolled out for a competitive, or an ‘in your face’ successful team winning things. Strange that !!
Tbf mate, Kibblesworth were a competitive side in 2019. Had a running battle with them all season for the NEDCL 2 title, and came down to the last (very close) game. So definetly not bottom of the league strugglers, just a good set of lads that I'm glad to see playing this season.
Any preseason friendlies provisionally pencilled in yet 🤔
ERCC vs Littletown @Rainton 17th April
ERCC vs Belmont @Rainton 18th April

Last edited:
Tbf mate, Kibblesworth were a competitive side in 2019. Had a running battle with them all season for the NEDCL 2 title, and came down to the last (very close) game. So definetly not bottom of the league strugglers, just a good set of lads that I'm glad to see playing this season.

ERCC vs Littletown @Rainton 17th April
ERCC vs Belmont @Rainton 18th April
i never referred to any club specifically (just generally), but I’ve been involved in cricket long enough to see how opinions change about clubs based on their league standing. But I note your point regarding Kibblesworth.

i never referred to any club specifically (just generally), but I’ve been involved in cricket long enough to see how opinions change about clubs based on their league standing. But I note your point regarding Kibblesworth.
Very true, and I agree with the observation. Luckily Kibblesworth are both. Just glad to see them playing again.

Very true, and I agree with the observation. Luckily Kibblesworth are both. Just glad to see them playing again.
Yes it’s really good Kibblesworth are playing next year. I hope that post COVID-19 we don’t see players ‘not bothering’ or teams not turning out. In the history of sport (without sounding melodramatic) this next year is the most important year in grass roots sport.

Yes it’s really good Kibblesworth are playing next year. I hope that post COVID-19 we don’t see players ‘not bothering’ or teams not turning out. In the history of sport (without sounding melodramatic) this next year is the most important year in grass roots sport.

Rugby Union should be the most worried - no games from March 20 ‘til Sep 21 by my reckoning. That’s a lot of people out of the habit.

Most cricket clubs turned sides out last year thankfully. Those 7-8 weeks were massive imo.

Never been the same since the disgraceful betrayal of the best and ongest lasting league in NE cricket.
Began the demise of NE cricket.

Last edited:
I know should never have let the North East Durham League fold!
1895 - 2019.
I said 'the best'

Peter Crane believes that the seeds for Durham becoming a first-class county and joining the County Championship were sown during the most successful period in their history.

Between 1976 and 1982 Durham went 65 games unbeaten – a record that remains unbeaten.

They also won the Minor Counties Championship in 1976, 1980, 1981 and then a record-equalling seventh time in 1984.

Five years later Durham began the process that would see them take their place as the newest first class county for 70 years and make their Championship debut in 1992.

Crane, a Durham batting mainstay between 1973-83, said: “There was always talk about us joining the County Championship and it was a big thing when it happened.

“Our record run in the Minor Counties Championship sowed the seeds. Staffordshire beat us at Stockton one day to end that incredible run. We played a lot of attacking cricket.

“We always declared after 55 overs and went into nearly every game thinking we were going to win.

“After going 60 odd games without losing we were a very confident side and also the side didn’t change much in terms of players being available. It was very rare that we put out a weakened side. Even if someone wasn’t available we always had a strong player to bring in.”

Crane believes it was the strong league scene around the North-East that helped the County become so successful.

He says most of the side were drawn from the Durham Senior League which has long been one of the strongest in the country.

The reputation of the league is such that they found it easy to attract top class overseas stars – which also aided Durham’s quest for honours.

“We had a very, very strong league system in our area in the Durham Senior League and the North Yorkshire & South Durham League,” he said.

“Certainly during a large part of the successful run the Durham Senior League supplied the majority of the team.

“Neil Riddell who became the captain was from the North Yorkshire League, but the majority of this side were from the Durham Senior League.
I said 'the best'

Peter Crane believes that the seeds for Durham becoming a first-class county and joining the County Championship were sown during the most successful period in their history.

Between 1976 and 1982 Durham went 65 games unbeaten – a record that remains unbeaten.

They also won the Minor Counties Championship in 1976, 1980, 1981 and then a record-equalling seventh time in 1984.

Five years later Durham began the process that would see them take their place as the newest first class county for 70 years and make their Championship debut in 1992.

Crane, a Durham batting mainstay between 1973-83, said: “There was always talk about us joining the County Championship and it was a big thing when it happened.

“Our record run in the Minor Counties Championship sowed the seeds. Staffordshire beat us at Stockton one day to end that incredible run. We played a lot of attacking cricket.

“We always declared after 55 overs and went into nearly every game thinking we were going to win.

“After going 60 odd games without losing we were a very confident side and also the side didn’t change much in terms of players being available. It was very rare that we put out a weakened side. Even if someone wasn’t available we always had a strong player to bring in.”

Crane believes it was the strong league scene around the North-East that helped the County become so successful.

He says most of the side were drawn from the Durham Senior League which has long been one of the strongest in the country.

The reputation of the league is such that they found it easy to attract top class overseas stars – which also aided Durham’s quest for honours.

“We had a very, very strong league system in our area in the Durham Senior League and the North Yorkshire & South Durham League,” he said.

“Certainly during a large part of the successful run the Durham Senior League supplied the majority of the team.

“Neil Riddell who became the captain was from the North Yorkshire League, but the majority of this side were from the Durham Senior League.
Ironic the League most responsble for Durham becoming a first class county betrayed by it.

Last edited:
I said 'the best'

Ironic the League most responsble for Durham becoming a first class county betrayed by it.
Not this shit again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BORING - they shot themselves in the foot and as a result dont exist anymore - deal with it.

I said 'the best'

I'm good friends with PC. We were teachers in the same school for along time before he retired and we still play golf a few times a year together. Good to hear old Durham stories.

Back