New signings for 2022 local clubs

NYSD at their AGM this week voted to be "fully open" regarding paying players.
They used to restrict paying to 2 pros in Premier league only. If a club got relegated to Division 1 they were not allowed to "have a pro".
Like a previous poster said, "paying players, pro or not" has been going on for years. It could not be policed so now it is all "open".
Issue is some clubs pay players outside of their books. Job offers, paid by third parties etc. Been going on for years. HMRC will look via payroll records which I guess cricket leagues could also request, but how could you prove cash in hand payments.

For one I think if clubs have enough money coming through to pay players and are also looking at wider club interests, juniors and facilities for example, I have no problem with it

Thanks for clarifying and yes I’m not sure of NEPL regs too.
In general, there aren’t rules around payment of players. You can pay all 11 if you want. There are (complex) rules around overseas professionals which a few clubs have been found guilty of breaking. These are driven more by immigration rules rather than the overriding principle of whether there’s payment or not.
NYSD at their AGM this week voted to be "fully open" regarding paying players.
They used to restrict paying to 2 pros in Premier league only. If a club got relegated to Division 1 they were not allowed to "have a pro".
Like a previous poster said, "paying players, pro or not" has been going on for years. It could not be policed so now it is all "open".
What does fully open mean? They have to declare it to the league and other stakeholders? Or they can more or less do what they want a la NEPL?

Last edited:
Anyone heard about the possibility of mandatory negative LFT results being required prior to games this season. Will be a nightmare, administratively if so.

Anyone heard about the possibility of mandatory negative LFT results being required prior to games this season. Will be a nightmare, administratively if so.

Where has that rumour come from? Not one I’ve heard? Can’t see it working at all and with the likeliness of lat flows being scrapped shortly too it’s likely to be just a rumour (I hope)

Old news but couldn't see it anywhere....

Consett sign Afghanistan Test all-rounder Shahidullah Kamal

In non player news, planning permission is being sought to build houses on Shotley Bridge's ground. The club would move to the next field down and get £1.5m for their trouble.
Can I ask the obvious question, why not build houses in the adjacent field ?

Hopefully they get a state of the art ground out of it and it helps the club progress

Can I ask the obvious question, why not build houses in the adjacent field ?

Hopefully they get a state of the art ground out of it and it helps the club progress
No idea. It's a bit lower and closer to the River Derwent, so a flood risk maybe? It's a bigger field as well.

Back