New neighbour

Sounds like he’s trying it on, would YOU buy a house suffering from damp in the living room due to the people next door ???

Have you spoken to him? If not, pop round, introduce yourself and ask him to show you where the damp is and where the problem is coming from/ what’s causing it.He has a survey so that should tell you straight away.

Only then can you decide if you feel you’re ‘responsible’ for any part of it and where you go from there.

Last edited:
I'd make sure my gutters were clear and not touch his. He sounds like the type of prick who would claim damages against you.
When he next comes round, open the door and say it's not a convenient time and tell him to come back, when you are in. I'd look to out"arrogant tosser" him.
If he bangs on about it, later, as said, ask for sight of the proof. Then say it's a house buyers report and the bloke won't have gone up a ladder to look, so he's guessing.

Had our new neighbour come round earlier and already it seems like they are going to be a nightmare. He spoke to my wife and she said he came across as very condescending and a bit of a mysoginist.

Anyway he said there was a ‘problem’ as his survey had shown up damp in his living room caused by our gutters. He didn’t say what he was looking for - us to sort it for him to put right or just ensure they were cleared to stop it in the future.

Two things? Surely he knew this before he decided to proceed with the purchase so has little recourse to expect us to pay to fix it?

Secondly I’ve got no idea how his surveyor has determined we are the ones solely responsible for this. Where I think it’s come from is we both have conservatories which are side by side and nearly touching. Their house was a rental and although well looked after had been empty for 18 months as the owner died and it was in probate before the family could sell. When it was a rental it had Ivy in their garden that climbed along the fence and into both gutters as we frequently cut it back/removed it. The roots were cut out 2 years ago but it probably damaged both gutters and was from their side.

So 2 questions does he have any recourse to try and make us pay (I don’t know if he does yet) for something that happened before he lived there and he knew from the survey before he decided to go ahead and buy? And being that it was likely caused by a historical plant on their side how could we be blamed for that?

With the amount of rain recently I also don’t know how much it may have overflown their side and or how well their gutters were cleared whilst it was empty.

I have no issues ensuring the gutters are clear going forward. We try and do that anyway.
If you have no issue of damp you don’t have a problem.
Just tell him to get a roofer to take a look then decide what to do. You ain’t got damp so it’s up to him. If the roofer says it’s a joint issue then sort it. If he says it’s yours tell him you will get your roofer to sort it.
Just had similar down seaburn with two conservatories.

Had our new neighbour come round earlier and already it seems like they are going to be a nightmare. He spoke to my wife and she said he came across as very condescending and a bit of a mysoginist.

Anyway he said there was a ‘problem’ as his survey had shown up damp in his living room caused by our gutters. He didn’t say what he was looking for - us to sort it for him to put right or just ensure they were cleared to stop it in the future.

Two things? Surely he knew this before he decided to proceed with the purchase so has little recourse to expect us to pay to fix it?

Secondly I’ve got no idea how his surveyor has determined we are the ones solely responsible for this. Where I think it’s come from is we both have conservatories which are side by side and nearly touching. Their house was a rental and although well looked after had been empty for 18 months as the owner died and it was in probate before the family could sell. When it was a rental it had Ivy in their garden that climbed along the fence and into both gutters as we frequently cut it back/removed it. The roots were cut out 2 years ago but it probably damaged both gutters and was from their side.

So 2 questions does he have any recourse to try and make us pay (I don’t know if he does yet) for something that happened before he lived there and he knew from the survey before he decided to go ahead and buy? And being that it was likely caused by a historical plant on their side how could we be blamed for that?

With the amount of rain recently I also don’t know how much it may have overflown their side and or how well their gutters were cleared whilst it was empty.

I have no issues ensuring the gutters are clear going forward. We try and do that anyway.
I would completely renew my guttering, facias and soffits with brand new shiny stuff if I was you. Do it yourself (it’s a piece of piss) While you’re doing it you can flirt like fuck with his lass over the garden fence saying shit like ‘we can’t have you all damp now can we’ ;) This little peacocking fest will leave you and your house looking magnificent, his guttering looking old and feeble and his lass fizzing like an alka-seltzer. ML 1 - 0 Bellend neighbour 👍:lol:

If I had to put my boring legal cap on, I would ask him to produce evidence of his claims.

Then tell him to feckk off if he doesn't.
Agree. Previous occupant is brown bread. Tell him whatever you want, he can't disprove it. Blame it on the dead bloke.

Edit. Poor start though. We've got great neighbours, though not sure they'd say the same thing.
Just had a look at his gutter and it’s also full of moss and dead leaves
Clean your gutters, take a photo of your clean gutters and his manky ones and it's game over.

I'm a tad curious why your wife thinks he's a bit Misogynist.

Last edited:
Agree. Previous occupant is brown bread. Tell him whatever you want, he can't disprove it. Blame it on the dead bloke.

Edit. Poor start though. We've got great neighbours, though not sure they'd say the same thing.

Clean your gutters, take a photo of your clean gutters and his manky ones and it's game over.

I'm a tad curious why your wife thinks he's a bit Misogynist.

Because he was very condescending but distinctly said stuff like. I’ll speak to your husband, your husbands car etc…

Because he was very condescending but distinctly said stuff like. I’ll speak to your husband, your husbands car etc…
When he knocks again, get your missus to dismiss him and tell him to come back later. He'll hate being told to do one by her.

I had an issue with a "man" who thought it was ok to bully my missus. He was meek and mild and grovelling when I got in his face about it.

Wouldn’t it be easier for you to move to a detached house when interest rates fall?

Got same problem with my gutter, there's flows into mine, there's has nee downpipe, but since renewing mine I put a blocker in. Water pisses over his side
It's common for 2 houses have a shared down pipe. On terraced houses you usually get a down pipe on every second house.

Back