New neighbour

Had our new neighbour come round earlier and already it seems like they are going to be a nightmare. He spoke to my wife and she said he came across as very condescending and a bit of a mysoginist.

Anyway he said there was a ‘problem’ as his survey had shown up damp in his living room caused by our gutters. He didn’t say what he was looking for - us to sort it for him to put right or just ensure they were cleared to stop it in the future.

Two things? Surely he knew this before he decided to proceed with the purchase so has little recourse to expect us to pay to fix it?

Secondly I’ve got no idea how his surveyor has determined we are the ones solely responsible for this. Where I think it’s come from is we both have conservatories which are side by side and nearly touching. Their house was a rental and although well looked after had been empty for 18 months as the owner died and it was in probate before the family could sell. When it was a rental it had Ivy in their garden that climbed along the fence and into both gutters as we frequently cut it back/removed it. The roots were cut out 2 years ago but it probably damaged both gutters and was from their side.

So 2 questions does he have any recourse to try and make us pay (I don’t know if he does yet) for something that happened before he lived there and he knew from the survey before he decided to go ahead and buy? And being that it was likely caused by a historical plant on their side how could we be blamed for that?

With the amount of rain recently I also don’t know how much it may have overflown their side and or how well their gutters were cleared whilst it was empty.

I have no issues ensuring the gutters are clear going forward. We try and do that anyway.
Got same problem with my gutter, there's flows into mine, there's has nee downpipe, but since renewing mine I put a blocker in. Water pisses over his side

If it’s a leaky gutter and a bit pointing to make good not a lot at all.

Sounds like that big man. I presume we are talking a few hundred?

Does it sound like you could prove it being two adjoining conservatories with gutters that are probably both prone to overflowing in the massive rain we have had or is he trying it on?

Sounds like that big man. I presume we are talking a few hundred?

Does it sound like you could prove it being two adjoining conservatories with gutters that are probably both prone to overflowing in the massive rain we have had or is he trying it on?
Aye in the hundreds

Both are probs to blame, you and the twat next door just go out and get mucked into the removal of ivy and giving gutters.

Had an issue with ours when the downpipe came loose and it meant water would run down the wall when it rained. Knew it needed fixing but it wasn't until next door knocked on saying it was affecting them I got it sorted.

Surely you'd be able to see if the water was overflowing down the wall?

Had our new neighbour come round earlier and already it seems like they are going to be a nightmare. He spoke to my wife and she said he came across as very condescending and a bit of a mysoginist.

Anyway he said there was a ‘problem’ as his survey had shown up damp in his living room caused by our gutters. He didn’t say what he was looking for - us to sort it for him to put right or just ensure they were cleared to stop it in the future.

Two things? Surely he knew this before he decided to proceed with the purchase so has little recourse to expect us to pay to fix it?

Secondly I’ve got no idea how his surveyor has determined we are the ones solely responsible for this. Where I think it’s come from is we both have conservatories which are side by side and nearly touching. Their house was a rental and although well looked after had been empty for 18 months as the owner died and it was in probate before the family could sell. When it was a rental it had Ivy in their garden that climbed along the fence and into both gutters as we frequently cut it back/removed it. The roots were cut out 2 years ago but it probably damaged both gutters and was from their side.

So 2 questions does he have any recourse to try and make us pay (I don’t know if he does yet) for something that happened before he lived there and he knew from the survey before he decided to go ahead and buy? And being that it was likely caused by a historical plant on their side how could we be blamed for that?

With the amount of rain recently I also don’t know how much it may have overflown their side and or how well their gutters were cleared whilst it was empty.

I have no issues ensuring the gutters are clear going forward. We try and do that anyway.
Ask for a copy of his survey

If I've got this right your conservatories are side by side? Have a look at low level , are the base walls close together, and if so is there a build-up of leaves/general shite between the walls? If this is building up and gets above the damp course ( 2 bricks above ground usually) then dampness will get into the walls at low level. This space needs raking out and clearing , as well as the gutters cleared, and these 2 jobs should sort it. Good luck.

Back