New Music Releases Thread

The Jason Isbell album is weird. I like the two REM covers and 2 or 3 other tracks but a lot of it is quite pub covers band and the 12 minute instrumental jam is completely unneccessary.
Agree with you on that, half of it is a good listen and half sounds like something that would get croaked out by a novelty collaboration on Jools Holland

Glok is superb, even better than his last one. The vocals help and hes picked amazing artists such as C.A.R and Sinead O'Brien to work with. Certainly up there with album of the year for me

Any of the London (ish) contingent at the Barbican tonight? That was some line up - Speakers Corner Quartet (first gig in ten years) with guests including Kae Tempest, Lafawndah, Mica Levi, Sampha, Shabaka Hutchings, Tirzah, Wu-Lu, Joe Armon Jones, etc.

Any of the London (ish) contingent at the Barbican tonight? That was some line up - Speakers Corner Quartet (first gig in ten years) with guests including Kae Tempest, Lafawndah, Mica Levi, Sampha, Shabaka Hutchings, Tirzah, Wu-Lu, Joe Armon Jones, etc.
Any good?

I was at that Climate Blowout gig at Earth on Sunday with Porridge Radio, Steam Down and Black Country, New Road. The latter did some bizarre improv set that involved a cover of Hey Jude. It was definitely...interesting.

For Those I Love tonight. I'm expecting this one to be a cracker.

Any good?

I was at that Climate Blowout gig at Earth on Sunday with Porridge Radio, Steam Down and Black Country, New Road. The latter did some bizarre improv set that involved a cover of Hey Jude. It was definitely...interesting.

For Those I Love tonight. I'm expecting this one to be a cracker.

It was excellent - Lea Sen is a one to watch, Shabaka and Oren Marshall with Confucius MC stole the show, great hearing Sampha’s voice live, enjoyed Tirzah (harp at first then did a duet with Coby Sey) and Mica Levi (on violin). Did lose its way a touch in the second act, after interval - was at least 2 hrs long without a piss or a pint. I had to leave during Kae Tempest.

All standing on one leg or something? I wasn’t there but someone I went to Speakers Corner with was. She said it was “a bit too intense for a Sunday” :lol:

It was excellent - Lea Sen is a one to watch, Shabaka and Oren Marshall with Confucius MC stole the show, great hearing Sampha’s voice live, enjoyed Tirzah (harp at first then did a duet with Coby Sey) and Mica Levi (on violin). Did lose its way a touch in the second act, after interval - was at least 2 hrs long without a piss or a pint. I had to leave during Kae Tempest.

All standing on one leg or something? I wasn’t there but someone I went to Speakers Corner with was. She said it was “a bit too intense for a Sunday” :lol:
I think a lot of people left like. :lol: Lewis from BCNR was acting as conductor and had a list of ten different options to use, from drone, stab, pop song, a capella etc. He was holding up bits of paper and changing it every 30 seconds or so.

It was the most art school thing I've ever witnessed.

I usually try to stay away from the “preview”/pre-order tracks from albums because I like to listen to the whole thing as one work, but I’ve been listening to the 5 available tracks from the new Dave Hause album and it’s very good. Looking forward to Friday now - that and LDR should take up most of my day.

Quite a lot of new albums this week. There are releases from Angel Dust, Biffy Clyro, Black Marble, Deerhoof, Duran Duran, Elton John, Every Time I Die, Grouper, Hand Habits, Halado Negro, Ian Miles, Jarvis Cocker, JPEGMAFIA, La Luz, Lana Del Rey, Lone, Lonely Guest, My Morning Jacket, Parquet Courts, Ross From Friends, Said The Whale, Self Esteem, Wale, Wet, The Surfing Magazines, Orquesta Akokan, Jackson & Sellers, Guided By Voices, Nubya Garcia (remix album), Pop Psychedelique (a compilation of French psychedelia), Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (B-sides and rareities pt 2), Omar Sosa & Seckou Keita, Mildred Maude, Clinic and Circuit des Yeux.

Quite a lot of new albums this week. There are releases from Angel Dust, Biffy Clyro, Black Marble, Deerhoof, Duran Duran, Elton John, Every Time I Die, Grouper, Hand Habits, Halado Negro, Ian Miles, Jarvis Cocker, JPEGMAFIA, La Luz, Lana Del Rey, Lone, Lonely Guest, My Morning Jacket, Parquet Courts, Ross From Friends, Said The Whale, Self Esteem, Wale, Wet, The Surfing Magazines, Orquesta Akokan, Jackson & Sellers, Guided By Voices, Nubya Garcia (remix album), Pop Psychedelique (a compilation of French psychedelia), Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (B-sides and rareities pt 2), Omar Sosa & Seckou Keita, Mildred Maude, Clinic and Circuit des Yeux.
Biffy, LDR, Jackson+Sellers and Dave Hause (not on your list) for me this week.

Maybe Jarvis and Parquet Courts if I get a chance.

Last edited:
Self Esteem top of my list.

For Those I Love last night was absolutely outstanding. Incredibly emotional gig as well. If anyone skipped this record earlier in the year I'd recommend going back and listening. Comfortably album of the year.

Self Esteem top of my list.

For Those I Love last night was absolutely outstanding. Incredibly emotional gig as well. If anyone skipped this record earlier in the year I'd recommend going back and listening. Comfortably album of the year.
Couldn’t get away with the vocals when I tried it, might give it another go.

It’s all about Parquet Courts

but will listen to Self Esteem, Surfing Magazines, Jarvis, My Morning Jackets, Grouper, Guided by Voices and Nick Cave as well

Back