New Music Releases Thread

There are new releases tomorrow from Bedouine (not sure of this one, Amazon suggest May 2022), Ben Barnes, Coldplay, Dave Monk, Dean Wareham (may be physical only), Finneas, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes, Gone to Color, Hayden Thorpe, Johnny Marr, Julia Shapiro, Lilly Hiatt, Remi Wolf, Santana, The Darkness, Xenia Rubinos, Young Thug, Tom Morello, Primal Scream (Demodelica, which is the demos of Screamadelica), The Charlatans (a compilation of hits and rareities), Aquaserge, Buffalo Nichols, Jerusalem In My Heart, Vanishing Twin, Pokey LaFarge and Afterlight.
Johnny Marr, Lilly Hiatt, Tom Morello, Promal Scream and Pokey Lafarge for me

There's quite a lot there for me: Dean Wareham (if digital), Hayden Thorpe, Johhny Marr, Julia Shapiro, Xenia Rubinos, most of what's listed from Primal Scream onward.
Dean Wareham should be canny. Liked 2 of the 3 three songs I've heard off it (on Spotify). Noticed Amazon have now changed release date to 29/10 so not sure if it will be released tomorrow. After getting in to Galaxie 500 off the back of a Snub TV feature a long, long time ago, I never bothered following Luna, Dean & Britta or Dean Wareham solo, but last year I picked up a couple of his solo records and they were very good.

Last edited:
My usual quick weekly review. A good week all in all:

Karen Peris: a solo album from the singer of The Innocence Mission. It's incredibly delicate, fragile indie pop (which is kind of what her band also do). Very good!
BADBADNOTGOOD: this expands their palette well beyond their usual jazz with muscles. Floating Points brings his thing to 'Signal from the Noise' and Brazilian string arranger gives later tracks an orchestral sheen. Really very good!
W.H. Lung: a very good second album. I'm not sure it's quite up there with Incidental Music though. Maybe it has a bit more of a dancefloor vibe?
Kevin Morby: four track demos of his last album. Does what it says on the tin. Good songs still but a bit more lo-fi.
April Magazine: languid, slow burning indie rock from the US. The kind of album that could have been made at any point between the late 80s and now. Recommended!
Wyndow: a collaboration between multi-instrumentalist Laura J Martin and Lavinia Blackwell (singer with Trembling Bells), this is, I guess psych-folk-rock. It reminds me a little of the excellent Smoke Faeries. Really good!
Scott Hirsch: he's a founding member of Hiss Golden Messenger and this, unsurprisingly perhaps, sounds a bit like them but maybe lacks a little in the warmth that they have. Still a good, solid album though...
S. Raekwon: promising. A little bit indie pop, a little bit R'n'B. Soft vocals. Quite brief but worth a listen.
John (Times Two): muscular indie rock which can filed alongside the likes of Metz and Idles, without the latter's pop hooks maybe. Powerful and immersive and a step up on their previous album.
Howlin Rain: epic psych rock culminating in a very long and exceptionally good title track. Ethan Miller delivers again.
Shannon Lay: a terrific album from the woman who's maybe most recognised as Ty Segall's guitarist but is making a real name as a solo artist. Unlike Segall, this is soft and largely acoustic. Excellent songs and an exceptional voice.
Sam Fender: I know he's a subject of much controversy on here because of his football allegiance but I quite like him. This is very much The Killers doing Springsteen with a geordie accent. Enjoyable.
Vera Ellen: Kiwi Courtney is go. She's a new signing to Flying Nun (New Zealand's greatest label and one of the world's finest). Excellent, literate indie rock. The obvious, but probably lazy, comparison is probably Courtney Barnett. Highly recommended.

Album of the week: ultimately it goes to Shannon Lay, although Vera Ellen, Howlin Rain, Wyndow, W.H. Lung and BABBADNOTGOOD could all have taken the prize in other weeks. I also really like Karen Peris and April Magazine (and Morbo's album is great but not really new, as such).
Doesn't mention the new We Are Scientists record so not worth the page it is typed on. More friendly, happy go lucky pop from the loveable twosome. Great set of lads.

Didn't know that was today, I think because the physical release is in November. TBH, after looking through the album reviews in the new Uncut, there's an absolute shitwizard of new releases I missed.
Have a like for 'shitwizard'.
An up-tempo single from Tori Amos' upcoming album:

Last edited:
It's been a good week for the old new and newish music, My potted review:

Das Wasteland: Berlin Vol 1 & 2: a compilation of songs set or based around Berlin. Very varied and very enjoyable.
Vanishing Twin: arthouse indie. A little bit reminiscent of Stereolab at time. Intriguing.
Tobacco City: a really good melding of country, psych and folk. Excellent from top to tail!
Bendik Giske: electronica tinged jazz. Some long tracks. Pretty good.
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes: I'm enjoying this a lot. Very listenable punk/hardcore.
Dean Wareham: I'm a fan from his days in Galaxie 500 and Luna and he's continued to make literate, enjoyable indie rock solo. Excellent!
Jerusalem in My Heart: abstract, arthouse world music type thing. Not the easiest listen really.
Pokey LaFarge: a good, solid Pokey album. Not sure whether it's his best but enjoyable.
Afterlight: the artist formerly known as Thea Gilmore. It's sophisticated singer-songwriter album.
Lilly Hiatt: a very strong album of country rock from John's daughter. A good listen.
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit: a covers album. Some of it is very good, some sounds like it was more fun to play than it is to listen to.
Julia Shapiro: very good, kind of indie rock with a shoegazey sheen. Well worth a listen!
Buffalo Nichols: an impressive, modern blues album from an artist on the rise. Very good.
Aquaserge: French, arthouse neo-classical. A little bit Yann Tiersen.
Xenia Rubinos: sort of Latin r'n'b influenced electronic stuff. Decent.
Glok: a continuation from Andy Bell's recordings both as himself under this name. He's either got a female vocalist working with him or his voice has changed. Very good anyway.
Hayden Thorpe: the voice is still excellent and the songs are better than those on his solo debut. Good.
Primal Scream: it's interesting seeing where Screamdelica developed from. Interesting, certainly.
Porches: out last week. A good solid, if somewhat short indie album.
Dos Santos: A blend of jazz, Latin music and psychedelia. I'm liking this.
Myriam Gendron: she's a Canadian who sings in both English and French. Quite traditional folk/acoustic stuff, very well played.
Space Afrika: Mancunian urban electronica. Very listenable.
Le Ren: quite lo-fi countryish folk. Well worth a listen.

Album of the week:
a tough one but I think Dean Wareham just shades Tobacco City. Julia Shapiro, Buffalo Bochols, Glok and Hayden Thorpe all also really good.

It's been a good week for the old new and newish music, My potted review:

Das Wasteland: Berlin Vol 1 & 2: a compilation of songs set or based around Berlin. Very varied and very enjoyable.
Vanishing Twin: arthouse indie. A little bit reminiscent of Stereolab at time. Intriguing.
Tobacco City: a really good melding of country, psych and folk. Excellent from top to tail!
Bendik Giske: electronica tinged jazz. Some long tracks. Pretty good.
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes: I'm enjoying this a lot. Very listenable punk/hardcore.
Dean Wareham: I'm a fan from his days in Galaxie 500 and Luna and he's continued to make literate, enjoyable indie rock solo. Excellent!
Jerusalem in My Heart: abstract, arthouse world music type thing. Not the easiest listen really.
Pokey LaFarge: a good, solid Pokey album. Not sure whether it's his best but enjoyable.
Afterlight: the artist formerly known as Thea Gilmore. It's sophisticated singer-songwriter album.
Lilly Hiatt: a very strong album of country rock from John's daughter. A good listen.
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit: a covers album. Some of it is very good, some sounds like it was more fun to play than it is to listen to.
Julia Shapiro: very good, kind of indie rock with a shoegazey sheen. Well worth a listen!
Buffalo Nichols: an impressive, modern blues album from an artist on the rise. Very good.
Aquaserge: French, arthouse neo-classical. A little bit Yann Tiersen.
Xenia Rubinos: sort of Latin r'n'b influenced electronic stuff. Decent.
Glok: a continuation from Andy Bell's recordings both as himself under this name. He's either got a female vocalist working with him or his voice has changed. Very good anyway.
Hayden Thorpe: the voice is still excellent and the songs are better than those on his solo debut. Good.
Primal Scream: it's interesting seeing where Screamdelica developed from. Interesting, certainly.
Porches: out last week. A good solid, if somewhat short indie album.
Dos Santos: A blend of jazz, Latin music and psychedelia. I'm liking this.
Myriam Gendron: she's a Canadian who sings in both English and French. Quite traditional folk/acoustic stuff, very well played.
Space Afrika: Mancunian urban electronica. Very listenable.
Le Ren: quite lo-fi countryish folk. Well worth a listen.

Album of the week: a tough one but I think Dean Wareham just shades Tobacco City. Julia Shapiro, Buffalo Bochols, Glok and Hayden Thorpe all also really good.
I’ve struggled to get into the new Pokey Lafarge album, which is a shame because the last one was probably my favourite of his (“Something in the Water” isn’t far behind). I’ll persevere with it for the next couple of days and see if it’s a grower.

I agree with you on Lilly Hiatt and Jason Isbell though.

Last edited:
I’ve struggled to get into the new Pokey Lafarge album, which is a shame because the last one was probably my favourite of his (“Something in the Water” isn’t far behind). I’ll persevere with it for the next couple of days and see if it’s a grower.

I agree with you on Lilly Hiatt and Jason Isbell though.

The Jason Isbell album is weird. I like the two REM covers and 2 or 3 other tracks but a lot of it is quite pub covers band and the 12 minute instrumental jam is completely unneccessary.

The Jason Isbell album is weird. I like the two REM covers and 2 or 3 other tracks but a lot of it is quite pub covers band and the 12 minute instrumental jam is completely unneccessary.
I got a bit tired of the whole “lockdown covers album” thing. The Molly Tuttle and Billie Joe Armstrong ones were good but everything else has been a bit meh.

I got a bit tired of the whole “lockdown covers album” thing. The Molly Tuttle and Billie Joe Armstrong ones were good but everything else has been a bit meh.

It does seem to be a thing for musicians currently. Some are good, some not so good but I prefer to either find a cover amongst original songs or have a compilation of covers themed around an artist.

Enjoyed the new Dean Wareham record. There was a time I could not stomach hearing pedal steel.
Currently listening to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless just to prove to myself I'm not ready for pipe and slippers just yet.

Back