New Music Releases Thread

So from this week

Flaming Lips - not too bad at all actually, one of their good records
Doves - meh, got halfway through and got bored
Everything Everything - not sure why I bothered, dreadful as per
Susanna - magnificent!
The Brothers Burn Mountain - pretty good, includes him from Low I think
The Sweet Release of Death - post punky EP,

Discovery of the week: Sprain - As Lost Through Collision. Think it was out a few week ago, sounds quite a lot like Slint

I’m just a shit @Arkle

Last edited:
So from this week

Flaming Lips - not too bad at all actually, one of their good records
Doves - meh, got halfway through and got bored
Everything Everything - not sure why I bothered, dreadful as per
Susanna - magnificent!
The Brothers Burn Mountain - pretty good, includes him from Low I think
The Sweet Release of Death - post punky EP,

Discovery of the week: Sprain - As Lost Through Collision. Think it was out a few week ago, sounds quite a lot like Slint

I’m just a shit @Arkle

Coming back at you, with quite of lot of folk made by men called Joshua...

Dead Sheeran - this EP came out back in June. Imagine Sleaford Mods moved to the west country.
Joshua Burnside - folk with a vague (very vague) touch of punk. Quite impressive!
Sally Anne Morgan - more folk, not Joshua. Quite a trad folk album, pretty good.
Delta Spirit - indie-rock/Americana veterans, pretty good but not inspiring. Sounds a bit like My Morning Jacket.
Elizabeth Cook - country, very good.
The Flaming Lips - pretty good, a bit of a step back to their past. Got a right pasting in The Observer yesterday.
Everything Everything - well, I like it. Doesn't deviate from their previous album, which I also like.
Sam Prekop - instrumental post-rock. Quite enjoyable!
Joshua Burnell - folk by a Joshua. Quite theatrical at times, some of it reminds me of Bellowhead.
Brona McVittie - spectral folk type stuff. A little bit Newsom, Very good!!
Doves - it's washed over me a bit so far TBH.
Mammal Hands - jazz, the good kind!

Album of the week is probably Brona McVittie.

Dead Sheeran - this EP came out back in June. Imagine Sleaford Mods moved to the west country.
Joshua Burnside - folk with a vague (very vague) touch of punk. Quite impressive!
Sally Anne Morgan - more folk, not Joshua. Quite a trad folk album, pretty good.
Delta Spirit - indie-rock/Americana veterans, pretty good but not inspiring. Sounds a bit like My Morning Jacket.
The Flaming Lips - pretty good, a bit of a step back to their past. Got a right pasting in The Observer yesterday.
Everything Everything - well, I like it. Doesn't deviate from their previous album, which I also like.
Joshua Burnell - folk by a Joshua. Quite theatrical at times, some of it reminds me of Bellowhead.

lol, the flaming lips releasegot album of week in sunday times. return to soft bulletin , yoshi etc.

Dead Sheeran. :lol:

Keep meaning to give it a listen. 1989 is one of my favourite albums of recent years. Modern day pop doesnt really get much better than that.
I’ve never had any interest in Taylor Swift whatsoever, I only tried this one because of the write ups it was getting from the music press. It’s fantastic IMO.

I might check out Joshua Burnside, I love a bit of punky folk.

Not been that enamoured by Doves either so far (although I was never a massive fan first time around); Marilyn Manson is Manson-by-numbers; and Matt Costa is good and better than his last one but he’ll never get close to the summery pop-perfection of his debut (15 years on and it still gets a regular listen through the summer months).

Flaming Lips is next on my list, followed by a couple from your list.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's cool or not now to like stuff deemed uncool these days but that Swift record? Nah man.
The only weirder thing would be if I suddenly got into Hip-Hop!!!!

Unlikely. Most of that, truth be told, is shite.
I’ve never had any interest in Taylor Swift whatsoever, I only tried this one because of the write ups it was getting from the music press. It’s fantastic IMO.

I might check out Joshua Burnside, I love a bit of punky folk.

Not been that enamoured by Doves either so far (although I was never a massive fan first time around); Marilyn Manson is Manson-by-numbers; and Matt Costa is good and better than his last one but he’ll never get close to the summery pop-perfection of his debut (15 years on and it still gets a regular listen through the summer months).

Flaming Lips is next on my list, followed by a couple from your list.

Mansons is only Manson by numbers if you go back to the late 90s. One of the singles is pretty close to the knuckle of a Bowie song.

Last edited:
New Gizzard single has just dropped (video only on YouTube at the moment). It has Ambrose on lead vocal and is a bit like a mashup of Microtonal Banana and Paper Mache Dream Balloon.

Surprise new 4-tk EP, 2020 Dump, by Jeff Rosenstock today - not listened yet but shall do later (Laura Stevenson is also on 3 of the 4, I think)

Did anyone give the new Maximo Park a listen yesterday? I did not. Saw “mildly psychedelic” as a description...

Last edited:

Back