New Music Releases Thread

It's Modern English - saw the announcement at the time but NJ/NY were both nights I couldn't do. If memory serves, it's just one of the versions of GLJ - it was 2 brothers and they each reformed their own version :lol:

I've not followed his solo stuff or any new Alarm output since Change, but I did get Live at McCabes a couple of years back and the recent-ish re-dos Declaration and Strength
James Stevenson who plays guitar in 'The Alarm' also plays in GLJ. I've followed Peters in a disinterested way since Change and been to see him solo or with the band occasionally since 2002 ish after a ten year gap. A number of times I've said never again unless .... but nostalgia keeps dragging me back.

I like it but I don't love it (amongst other things, I think the single version of bmbmbm is far better than the album version). The lad has a cracking voice though!
I like the music but the voice is bordering on the preposterous for me tbh - can't get away with it.

Liked the Raconteurs and actually didn't think TA was bad, on first listen, unless I was just comparing it to Productive Cough, which only makes it a relative return to form, I suppose

I like the music but the voice is bordering on the preposterous for me tbh - can't get away with it.

Liked the Raconteurs and actually didn't think TA was bad, on first listen, unless I was just comparing it to Productive Cough, which only makes it a relative return to form, I suppose

Oh, it's better than Productive Cough but so are so many other things...

Everybody seems to be wanking themselves silly about them lately.
It is a good wank, though.

I like it but I don't love it (amongst other things, I think the single version of bmbmbm is far better than the album version). The lad has a cracking voice though!

Didn't post much about last week's releases when Hot Chip, Black Pumas, The Band of Holy Joy, Bedouine, Chris Brokaw and Bamboo all released proper crackers. Enjoying The Raconteurs album as well and Jane Weaver, although as it's reworkings of old tracks, it's all familiar to a degree. Titus Andronicus very ho hum!

Amongst non-new things, Norma Tanega's debut from 1966 (Walkin' My Cat Named Dog) is magnificent. Had a timely vinyl re-release due to "You're Dead" being used as the theme tune to the year's best sitcom.
The Black Pumas is really, really good.

Been enjoying these few lately, great year for new releases...
Springsteen, great to see him back on top form, my favourite album of the year.
Hot chip another toppa album their best I reckon.
Fruit bats latest, likewise.
The National, finally clicked, quality as usual.

Thom Yorke - good bleeps, bad bleeps. Couple of brilliant tracks.
Body Type - not new. Tough Trade shops love them. Aussie indie band. Two Eps. Promising.
Carwyn Ellis & Rio 18 - bloody lovely, one of the best albums of the year. Welsh tropicalia. Listen and enjoy!
Daughter of Swords - singery songwritery female stuff. Very good!
75 Dollar Bill - North African blues as played by a middle aged American and a Vietnamese chap. Really well worth a listen.
TheTallest Man on Earth - simply lovely!
The Black Keys - drab, perfunctory, contract obliging bag of shite.
Jade Jackson - well written, well performed, a bit drab. Think I might be bored with country rock unless it's special.
Mega Bog - this is really, really, really very good. Think I need to investigate the back catalogue.
Molly - name sounds dubious punk, album sounds shoegazey, post rock with a Sigur Ros voice. Excellent!
Night Moves - good songs, well performed. An 8/10 album.
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - good, very good, maybe not as good as the 5/5 reviews suggest.

Thom Yorke - good bleeps, bad bleeps. Couple of brilliant tracks.
Body Type - not new. Tough Trade shops love them. Aussie indie band. Two Eps. Promising.
Carwyn Ellis & Rio 18 - bloody lovely, one of the best albums of the year. Welsh tropicalia. Listen and enjoy!
Daughter of Swords - singery songwritery female stuff. Very good!
75 Dollar Bill - North African blues as played by a middle aged American and a Vietnamese chap. Really well worth a listen.
TheTallest Man on Earth - simply lovely!
The Black Keys - drab, perfunctory, contract obliging bag of shite.
Jade Jackson - well written, well performed, a bit drab. Think I might be bored with country rock unless it's special.
Mega Bog - this is really, really, really very good. Think I need to investigate the back catalogue.
Molly - name sounds dubious punk, album sounds shoegazey, post rock with a Sigur Ros voice. Excellent!
Night Moves - good songs, well performed. An 8/10 album.
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - good, very good, maybe not as good as the 5/5 reviews suggest.
Strangely, an hour earlier I had downloaded Molly to listen to. You’re right!

Back