New Music Releases Thread

One of my friends did that thing he was doing a few years back where if you paid his travel and beer he'd come and play at your house. Said it was cracking value, but that Ian did spend a lot of time trying to hit on his mate's lass!

I am old sucker for the Works though. Stumbled on an old copy of Blind a couple of weeks back and bought it because the US version seems to have a different running order and they swapped a couple of songs out (and different sleeve). Had them all but, you know, rude not to! $5 well spent!
He was on the bones of his arse about ten years ago, on the verge of house repossession etc. Apparently, Birds Fly was used by the Netflix series 'Stranger Things', then on an advert in the US and he became solvent.

He's always making a big deal that no one has ever listened to him since Merseybeast,and then attempts to shrug it off like he doesn't give a shit,ha ha.His self titled album from 2001 and the last one Our Future In Space are well worth investigating though imo..I think he has them all up on Bandcamp now,though not entirely sure..? As a live performer he's still one of the best around mind,and his voice still sounds incredible.

That voice will always be amazing. Also, to me, admittedly a heterosexual male, the young McNabb seemed to be a looker (like an early 20s McCartney but with better teeth and hair). It amazed me that The Icicle Works weren't much bigger.

That voice will always be amazing. Also, to me, admittedly a heterosexual male, the young McNabb seemed to be a looker (like an early 20s McCartney but with better teeth and hair). It amazed me that The Icicle Works weren't much bigger.
Easy tiger! :D (admits he was a good looking chap). Always thought they deserved more, too, though maybe that was because I was a fan. That said, it's hard to believe we might have ended up with no Icicle Works at all and he could've been Barry Grant instead ("I'm only in a band because I failed my own audition"), so thank heavens for small mercies.

Last edited:

best album to start with mate ? By IW not IM

Easy tiger! :D (admits he was a good looking chap). Always thought they deserved more, too, though maybe that was because I was a fan. That said, it's hard to believe we might have ended up with no Icicle Works at all and he could've been Barry Grant instead ("I'm only in a band because I failed my own audition"), so thanks heavens for small mercies.
young gordon collins on brookside wore an icicle works t shirt I seem to remember ' love is a wonderful colour ' one.

Easy tiger! :D (admits he was a good looking chap). Always thought they deserved more, too, though maybe that was because I was a fan. That said, it's hard to believe we might have ended up with no Icicle Works at all and he could've been Barry Grant instead ("I'm only in a band because I failed my own audition"), so thanks heavens for small mercies.

Ah, you always want the bands you like to become massive until they do and everyone else likes them and they're not special any more. I just find it odd that they're offiically one hit wonders in the UK (Live Is A Wonderful Colour was a top 15 hit, nothing else grazed the top 50). I still have no clue why neither Understanding Jane nor Evangeline were hit singles. They're both 3 and a little bit minutes of sublime brilliance (although I think one of them might have a bad video).

Ah, you always want the bands you like to become massive until they do and everyone else likes them and they're not special any more. I just find it odd that they're offiically one hit wonders in the UK (Live Is A Wonderful Colour was a top 15 hit, nothing else grazed the top 50). I still have no clue why neither Understanding Jane nor Evangeline were hit singles. They're both 3 and a little bit minutes of sublime brilliance (although I think one of them might have a bad video).
Understanding Jane is one of my top 5 all-timers. Inexplicable. (Yeah, rubbish video on a beach)

Oddly they're one-hit wonders here as well, but a different song (Birds Fly)

Hollow Horse, Seven Horses...even their later albums when they were on the wane, they still always had a decent catchy single with quality vocal - High Time, Motorcycle Rider

Just don't listen to the B-sides bonus disk of their greatest hits, particularly the track on which they went into the studio separately and recorded stuff and then merged what they recorded to see what occurred. Also, some less than needed Byrds covers.

Cheat and try 7 Singles Deep
That's where I started,then I quickly went back and bought the first two.Defeat Your Enemy is rammed full of all the songs that should've been hits.But I'd say the last two Blind & the under rated Permanent Damage are the most well rounded and realised...If I had to pick a favourite from his entire career though,It'd likely be Truth & Beauty.

That's where I started,then I quickly went back and bought the first two.Defeat Your Enemy is rammed full of all the songs that should've been hits.But I'd say the last two Blind & the under rated Permanent Damage are the most well rounded and realised...If I had to pick a favourite from his entire career though,It'd likely be Truth & Beauty.
Did the same. Got 7 Singles at Makro in Washington, loved it, got the first 2, then Enemy was the summer when I went to college, and it was the first one that I got in real time and started to go and see them, so it’s a special one to me - the missus got it on vinyl for me last month for my birthday.

Back