New Music Releases Thread

Right, let's see whether me being next to post lifts this to the top of the thread or not. My summing up of new and not so new albums I've listened to this week:

Molchat Doma - starting off obscure with some Belarussian synthpop. It's a bit earlyish Depeche Mode, quite good!

just got around to the Molchat Doma album and I’m liking it. Their previous record was decent aswel

Go on then, part 1 of my potted review of new and newish stuff I've listened to this week. I think I'm tackling too much this time, not got to some big releases yet. Anyway:

Helen Love - I'd like to say that they're moving in a new post-rock related direction but it's more of the same. 100mph retro culture referencing indiepop. Good fun TBH!
CCR Headcleaner - this is fab! F A B! Fab... stoner indie rock, sort of combining Dead Meadow with Pavement.
Josephine Foster - really nice, folky Americana. She has an old timie voice which some won't like but I do.
Sam Burton - debut album from a singer-songwriter who's part of Jess Williamson's touring band. This has a nice laidback way about it. Enjoyable!
Cabaret Voltaire - with Stephen Mallinder gone (taking his vocals with him), this is basically a Richard H Kirk record, as @mad cyril sayid earlier. Industrial electronica with sampled dialogue. Pretty good.
The Cribs - it's fundamentally The Cribs with slightly more production sheen. Enjoyable but I wish they'd diversify a bit, add some marimba or something.
Phoebe Bridgers - an EP of alternate versions of tracks from Punisher. Nice enough but probably not needed. I haven't listened to both alongside each other to see what's changed.
Lindstrom & Prins Thomas - more cosmic electronica from the Norwegian pair. Quite laidback, quite summery, all lovely!
La Locura de Machura - this is a compilation of Colombian music from the late 70s (well 1975-80). There's a story behind it involving an eccentric businessman turned producer who got local bands to recreate Afrobeat with a Latin twist. Utterly ace if a tad bonkers in the nut.
Luluc - this crept out 3 weeks or so back and escaped my notice. Their records are lovely! This sounds like Low if Mimi did 90% of the singing. (I suspect I made that comment about their last album also)
Tristan Perich - modern classical. A lot of violins (50 seemingly) combined with electronic music. Engaging!
Larkin Poe - covers done in their country blues style. I like it a lot. Some quite mainstream choices to cover.
Babeheaven - kind of triphoppy indie-pop. Breathy female vocals. Enjoyable enough.
Grandaddy - essentially beautiful. The Sophtware Slump on a piano. Great!

Go on then, part 1 of my potted review of new and newish stuff I've listened to this week. I think I'm tackling too much this time, not got to some big releases yet. Anyway:

Helen Love - I'd like to say that they're moving in a new post-rock related direction but it's more of the same. 100mph retro culture referencing indiepop. Good fun TBH!
CCR Headcleaner - this is fab! F A B! Fab... stoner indie rock, sort of combining Dead Meadow with Pavement.
Josephine Foster - really nice, folky Americana. She has an old timie voice which some won't like but I do.
Sam Burton - debut album from a singer-songwriter who's part of Jess Williamson's touring band. This has a nice laidback way about it. Enjoyable!
Cabaret Voltaire - with Stephen Mallinder gone (taking his vocals with him), this is basically a Richard H Kirk record, as @mad cyril sayid earlier. Industrial electronica with sampled dialogue. Pretty good.
The Cribs - it's fundamentally The Cribs with slightly more production sheen. Enjoyable but I wish they'd diversify a bit, add some marimba or something.
Phoebe Bridgers - an EP of alternate versions of tracks from Punisher. Nice enough but probably not needed. I haven't listened to both alongside each other to see what's changed.
Lindstrom & Prins Thomas - more cosmic electronica from the Norwegian pair. Quite laidback, quite summery, all lovely!
La Locura de Machura - this is a compilation of Colombian music from the late 70s (well 1975-80). There's a story behind it involving an eccentric businessman turned producer who got local bands to recreate Afrobeat with a Latin twist. Utterly ace if a tad bonkers in the nut.
Luluc - this crept out 3 weeks or so back and escaped my notice. Their records are lovely! This sounds like Low if Mimi did 90% of the singing. (I suspect I made that comment about their last album also)
Tristan Perich - modern classical. A lot of violins (50 seemingly) combined with electronic music. Engaging!
Larkin Poe - covers done in their country blues style. I like it a lot. Some quite mainstream choices to cover.
Babeheaven - kind of triphoppy indie-pop. Breathy female vocals. Enjoyable enough.

somehow missed the Lindstrom new one.Cheers mate

Not a fan of Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Marimba then?

Ghostlawns - Motorik

I missed this debut release a couple of weeks back but Steve Lamacq played a track from it the other day and it was great.
Young band from Cardiff and the album title tells you what it’s like.

if you liked Working Men’s Club you may like this. It’s great imo

Cheers for this shout mate. Had a couple of listens to it today and I think I prefer this to Working Men’s Club.

The second part of the week:

Luke Abbott - his first in 6 years. There's some mighty fine, stately pastoral electronica going on here. Recommended.
Anthony Moore - a re-released obscurity from 1976. Moore is an experimental composer with his roots in prog rock. This is a very inventive and quite poppy/glam album that should undoubtedly have sold more on release. Oddly, it features a member of The Police (Andy Summers).
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - I'm not sure what the Bad Seeds do on this as it's Cave on the piano solo. As expected, it's utterly spellbinding. Maybe slightly biased to his late career but there's older stuff here as well.
Chubby and the Gang - I'm a bit behind the curve with this lot. The broadsheets reckon they're the future of British punk. It's a fiun album but hardly essential.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - I haven't bothered with the live album. The studio album is good. They seem, for now, to have settled on a middle eastern/North African influenced sound. Vaguely desert rock!
The Tibbs - old school soul from the Netherlands (the spiritual home of soul, although the Dutch call it schoul). Pretty good, gets better as it goes on TBH.
The War On Chris Rea - especially for @chunkylover53 and @mad cyril. It's a pretty good live album and summation of their work so far, although I can see why those who don't like their smooth rock undertones won't like this. Has the unfamiliar sound of audience noise on it.
Matthew Halsall - as featured on BBC4's rather decent Jazz 625 special last Friday, Halsall is a leading light in Manchester's current jazz scene. This is enjoyable, primarily instrumental, kind of spiritual.
Ai Aso - minimalist Japanese psych folk. Very fragile and very listenable indeed...
Damaged Bug - I suspect that this came out earlier in the year and I've only jsut got round to listening to it. They're John Dwyer's electronic psych pop band. As with all of his stuff, it's great fun.
Contento - salsapunk apparently so Latin music but not as MOR as some of it could be and with a lot of energy. They look like roadies in their promo photos.

Album of the week: probably CCR Headcleaner as they're new to me, although Cave, Grandaddy, Luluc, the re-release from Anthony Moore and the slightly mad La Locura comp are not far behind.

Cheers @Arkle I didn’t know there was a new Helen Love out, and you are the second person today to mention Chubby & The Gang so that’s 2 more for my list.

Think I might check out Josephine Foster too.

The second part of the week:

Luke Abbott - his first in 6 years. There's some mighty fine, stately pastoral electronica going on here. Recommended.
Anthony Moore - a re-released obscurity from 1976. Moore is an experimental composer with his roots in prog rock. This is a very inventive and quite poppy/glam album that should undoubtedly have sold more on release. Oddly, it features a member of The Police (Andy Summers).
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - I'm not sure what the Bad Seeds do on this as it's Cave on the piano solo. As expected, it's utterly spellbinding. Maybe slightly biased to his late career but there's older stuff here as well.
Chubby and the Gang - I'm a bit behind the curve with this lot. The broadsheets reckon they're the future of British punk. It's a fiun album but hardly essential.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - I haven't bothered with the live album. The studio album is good. They seem, for now, to have settled on a middle eastern/North African influenced sound. Vaguely desert rock!
The Tibbs - old school soul from the Netherlands (the spiritual home of soul, although the Dutch call it schoul). Pretty good, gets better as it goes on TBH.
The War On Chris Rea - especially for @chunkylover53 and @mad cyril. It's a pretty good live album and summation of their work so far, although I can see why those who don't like their smooth rock undertones won't like this. Has the unfamiliar sound of audience noise on it.
Matthew Halsall - as featured on BBC4's rather decent Jazz 625 special last Friday, Halsall is a leading light in Manchester's current jazz scene. This is enjoyable, primarily instrumental, kind of spiritual.
Ai Aso - minimalist Japanese psych folk. Very fragile and very listenable indeed...
Damaged Bug - I suspect that this came out earlier in the year and I've only jsut got round to listening to it. They're John Dwyer's electronic psych pop band. As with all of his stuff, it's great fun.
Contento - salsapunk apparently so Latin music but not as MOR as some of it could be and with a lot of energy. They look like roadies in their promo photos.

Album of the week: probably CCR Headcleaner as they're new to me, although Cave, Grandaddy, Luluc, the re-release from Anthony Moore and the slightly mad La Locura comp are not far behind.
No review of pg.lost?

@Arkle out

Along with topping Rough Trade’s list, Sault were also crowned 6 Music’s album of the year today. What a great record, even without all the big accolades.

Any inkling who the band actually are???

Finally a release date (5/3) for the first proper Arab Strap album since 2005. A Boiler Shop date in September 2021 follows it.
With new albums due from Mogwai and Teenage Fanclub early next year too, 2021 is shaping up well.

Back