New Music Releases Thread

Jings, this thread slipped to page 3,,, early digest of some albums:

Keaton Henson - he's not yet done anything better than his demo of 4 track demos but this is quite, quite lovely! It seems a bit odd when he goes up tempo briefly cos he's Keaton semi-falsettoed voice of vague middle class misery.
Jeff Tweedy - it's good, it's better than most albums, it's what I expect from Tweedy. It's 8/10 again.
Ela Minus - She's Colombian but based in New York. She was in punk bands but discovered electronica. She's made a very good album. The song "Dominique" is one of the best things I've heard this year.
Laura Veirs - it's good but not great, I'm a fan but it's not her best.
Songhoy Blues - maybe my expectation was a little too much but I'm slightly disappointed. It's quite rocking but more desert Status Quo than desert blues.
Delmer Darion - well, this is the most gentle album about Satan ever. Ambient electonica, with upbeat moments but devil themed. Nice!
Bonnie Whitmore - this is utterly ace! She's worked with some big names in country and Americana and released low key solo stuff previously. Terrific songs, properly well performed!

The other half:

Bruce Springsteen - I've already posted about it. It's ace!
Sparkle Division - a combo of easy listening, drones and exotica. Pretty entertaining!
Adrienne Lenker - excellent as I expected. The Songs half is lovely, Instrumentals a bit more out there.
Malojian - if you can't wait for Grandaddy's piano version of The Sophtware Slump, give this a listen. It's enjoyable but sounds a lot like them.
Fuzz - thrashy, stoner rock fun from Ty and the gang.
Loma - I rally like this. Kind of ambient, folky, hynotic indie stuff. Brian Eno is a fan, seemingly.
The Mountain Goats - normal service resumed. Literate indie/alt pop. They were an answer on University Challenge last night.
This Is The Kit - lovely warm songs as usual. An excellent, much underrated band.
Magik Markers - noise rockers mellowed. This is energetic at times but mellow at others. Pretty good.
Sam Amidon - he's generally a folkie but is widening his remit here. It's good, reminds me a bit of Okkervil River. Also, Beth Orton's husband.
Gorillaz - started out well but sags a bit in the middle. I like the tracks with Beck, Peter Hook and Octavian more than others.
Magick Mountain - a bit of a Leeds indie-rock supergroup. Pretty good, quite grungey.
clipping. - dark, sinister, alt/industrial hiphop. If you're a fan of Death Grips, you'll also be a fan of clipping.

Album of the week: probably Bruce but there's strong competition from Ela Minus, Bonnie Whitmore, Adrienne Lenker, This Is The Kit and clipping. An excellent week, all in all!

Lucidvox album is really growing on me, Russian post punk stuff
The other half:

Bruce Springsteen - I've already posted about it. It's ace!
Sparkle Division - a combo of easy listening, drones and exotica. Pretty entertaining!
Adrienne Lenker - excellent as I expected. The Songs half is lovely, Instrumentals a bit more out there.
Malojian - if you can't wait for Grandaddy's piano version of The Sophtware Slump, give this a listen. It's enjoyable but sounds a lot like them.
Fuzz - thrashy, stoner rock fun from Ty and the gang.
Loma - I rally like this. Kind of ambient, folky, hynotic indie stuff. Brian Eno is a fan, seemingly.
The Mountain Goats - normal service resumed. Literate indie/alt pop. They were an answer on University Challenge last night.
This Is The Kit - lovely warm songs as usual. An excellent, much underrated band.
Magik Markers - noise rockers mellowed. This is energetic at times but mellow at others. Pretty good.
Sam Amidon - he's generally a folkie but is widening his remit here. It's good, reminds me a bit of Okkervil River. Also, Beth Orton's husband.
Gorillaz - started out well but sags a bit in the middle. I like the tracks with Beck, Peter Hook and Octavian more than others.
Magick Mountain - a bit of a Leeds indie-rock supergroup. Pretty good, quite grungey.
clipping. - dark, sinister, alt/industrial hiphop. If you're a fan of Death Grips, you'll also be a fan of clipping.

Album of the week: probably Bruce but there's strong competition from Ela Minus, Bonnie Whitmore, Adrienne Lenker, This Is The Kit and clipping. An excellent week, all in all!
Malojian not on Spotify?

Last edited:
Fruit Tree Foundation are putting out a covers compilation via Bandcamp (it's up for preorder - 10 quid) with proceeds going to their stage crews - Whole Lotta Roadies (yeah, that could have maybe done with some work...). Artists include Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian, Idlewild, Honeyblood, Kathryn Joseph, Twin Atlantic, Emma Pollock (Delgados), and Proclaimers + 3-4 others

Back