New Music Releases Thread

Already listened to it a few times when it was released but gone back to it a fair bit over the past few weeks and the more I hear it, the more I really like the Mastersystem album.

Better than any Frabbit record other than Midnight Organ Fight.

So, from last week's releases, I'll point out that the Luluc album really is excellent. Imagine Low if all they did was the quiet Mimi Parker sung songs....

This week's motley crew of releases include albums from: Buddy, Forma, Jan Hammer, Lori McKenna, Meg Myers, Pram, Punch Brothers, Skeletonwitch, The Internet, Ty Segall & White Fence, We Are Muffy and Nathan Salsburg.

Ty Segall's album has fifteen songs on but it appears to only be about half an hour long. His first album this year was about seven hours long.

Looking forward to that and The Internet.

Ty Segall's album has fifteen songs on but it appears to only be about half an hour long. His first album this year was about seven hours long.

Looking forward to that and The Internet.

Yeah. He goes two ways with his albums, big long things or short and snappy. Looking forward(ish) to that plus Forma (analogue electronica), We Are Muffy (slightly weird acousticy pop) and Nathan Salsburg (folky serial collaborator gone solo).

Meant to mention the really rather excellent Don Kipper album that came out a week or three back as well. They claim to play the traditional music of north east London, which basically means a mix of Greek, Turkish, Romani and Klezmer sounds. Probably not for most on the thread but I love it!

I'm a bit late to the party with regards to Heaven/Earth but, shit my pants... on first listen, that's the best thing I've had the pleasure of listening to in a long, long time!

Just been given that by my good lady wife on vinyl today, it's absolutely brilliant isn't it.

Can't remember the last time I got a quadruple album mind :D

I also bought this for myself. I was really looking forward to it arriving, but I haven't listened to it yet as I'm 5 hours into the Kamasi thing.

Mika Vainio & Joachim Nordwall - Monstrance - Boomkat

Reckon it'll scare the shit out of the neighbours:lol:

Last edited:
Why haven't I been made aware of Spare Snare prior to their latest album? It's effectively a greatest hits but songs re-recorded by Steve Albini.They seem to occupy the middle ground between Orange Juice and The Fall with a touch of Scottish post-rock thrown in.

Last releases of July today. We're in the slow season. We've got albums from Boz Scaggs, Cody Jinks, Daughtry, Dee Snider, Face to Face, Halestorm, Israel Nash, Kenny Chesney, Phantastic Ferniture (Julia Jacklin and friends), RL Grime, ShadowParty (some sort of Devo, the Verve, New Order supergroup), Tony Molina and Underworld & Iggy Pop.

I guess there are 3 or 4 interesting albums there...

Last releases of July today. We're in the slow season. We've got albums from Boz Scaggs, Cody Jinks, Daughtry, Dee Snider, Face to Face, Halestorm, Israel Nash, Kenny Chesney, Phantastic Ferniture (Julia Jacklin and friends), RL Grime, ShadowParty (some sort of Devo, the Verve, New Order supergroup), Tony Molina and Underworld & Iggy Pop.

I guess there are 3 or 4 interesting albums there...
Dreadful

anyone recommend me something newish, folkish, guitarish, wordy and gritty?

i download new albums all the time on applemusic but never seem to give any of them more than 2 listens theses days, then i just go back to what i know

quite enjoyed a Hak Baker EP i've got

i download new albums all the time on applemusic but never seem to give any of them more than 2 listens theses days, then i just go back to what i know

Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. Both albums are superb (I think I prefer the first one). She’s very gritty “outlaw country”, with blues, rock n roll and punk influences. My find of 2018 (thanks to @Arkle) can’t get enough of them!

I'm really warming to the I See Hawks in LA album that came out 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. Both albums are superb (I think I prefer the first one). She’s very gritty “outlaw country”, with blues, rock n roll and punk influences. My find of 2018 (thanks to @Arkle) can’t get enough of them!

i'll give them a go. they have 3 albums on applemusic, one self titled, on called Years and one called Sidelong

i'll give them a go. they have 3 albums on applemusic, one self titled, on called Years and one called Sidelong
The one that’s self titled is a live session for music website Audiotree. Years is the one released this year, and Sidelong was originally self-released in 2015 and re-released last year when they signed a record deal.

Years is the new one and Sidelong is their 2015 release. Not sure what the self titled release is. The only other thing I know about is a 2013 EP called Seven by Sarah Shook and the Devil (her previous band).

sound i'll give the two albums a few listens.

having the aerial snap off the top of my van in the carwash the other month has been class for my new music listening

July's been really slow hasn't it? Only thing tomorrow that interests me is the Iggy & Underworld EP.

Mercury Music Prize shortlist is a bit rubbish. I know you have to apply and a few might not have bothered but no Young Fathers, Hookworms, Jon Hopkins, LUMP, Sophie, Let's Eat Grandma and Mastersystem seems to ignore the best of British music this year.

July's been really slow hasn't it? Only thing tomorrow that interests me is the Iggy & Underworld EP.

Mercury Music Prize shortlist is a bit rubbish. I know you have to apply and a few might not have bothered but no Young Fathers, Hookworms, Jon Hopkins, LUMP, Sophie, Let's Eat Grandma and Mastersystem seems to ignore the best of British music this year.
Hadn’t realised it had been released, but it’s a shocking list

Nadine Shah must be buzzing @MackneyHackem ?

Back