New Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can never be overkill. Power in watts is drawn not pushed. So if a PSU that can supply 800w and the CPU/GPU only pulls 600w, that's all that will be used. You'll often see the smoothness of the voltage fluctuate if you pull power near a PSU's rating as well as drop-outs. It gets even more complicated when you have overload on a particular rail when others have little load on them.

Took your advice and amended my order to get the CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET, better safe than sorry. I also went for a better CPU Cooler, Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans.

My build actually looks vastly different from original one I paid for, but as it's not through to the building stage, I've been able to make amendments. This is my current and hopefully final build...price is about £24.00 more expensive than original, as the saving from removing 16gb of Ram, and dropping the wireless networking card resulted in about £130.00, which was then used on the better mobo, hard disk's, psu, and cooler.

Canny few promotional items out of it as well. Should arrive in about a week.

Case
GAME MAX FALCON BLACK GAMING CASE (RGB LED)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming 7
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
M.2 SSD Drive
128GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 700MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fan
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Promotional Item
FREE VR Game Bundle
Promotional Item
FREE FOR HONOR or GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS
Promotional Item
FREE Halo Wars 2
Promotional Item
FREE Steam Voucher!

Took your advice and amended my order to get the CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET, better safe than sorry. I also went for a better CPU Cooler, Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans.

My build actually looks vastly different from original one I paid for, but as it's not through to the building stage, I've been able to make amendments. This is my current and hopefully final build...price is about £24.00 more expensive than original, as the saving from removing 16gb of Ram, and dropping the wireless networking card resulted in about £130.00, which was then used on the better mobo, hard disk's, psu, and cooler.

Canny few promotional items out of it as well. Should arrive in about a week.

Case
GAME MAX FALCON BLACK GAMING CASE (RGB LED)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming 7
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
M.2 SSD Drive
128GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 700MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fan
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Promotional Item
FREE VR Game Bundle
Promotional Item
FREE FOR HONOR or GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS
Promotional Item
FREE Halo Wars 2
Promotional Item
FREE Steam Voucher!
Nice one mate. If you still have time change it to a EVGA Gold G2 or better.
A quality PSU like a case is a good investment for the future and and can last several systems.

*PSU or case

Last edited:
Nice one mate. If you still have time change it to a EVGA Gold G2 or better.
A quality PSU like a case is a good investment for the future and and can last several systems.

*PSU or case

It moved into the building phase early afternoon, so can't make anymore amendments, but I'm happy with what I've got. I can always upgrade down the line if it doesn't perform adequately, but I think it's gonna be great. Cheers for the advice :)

PSU: My build will use a maximum of 551w, so I went with an ultra quiet 650w PSU incase I upgrade later on.
Is that enough of a margin? The quoted figures are often not what they can push out stable 24/7.

Dropped down to 16gb of Ram to save £100, which I then used to get a slightly better motherboard, an SSHD as standard instead of the HDD, and a better m.2 drive.
If the HDD/SHDD is a 3rd drive used for storage, then that's not really beneficial is it? SSDH only helps to prioritise the files you use frequently, and its only about 10Gb of actual SSD. Better off spending the money on the proper SSD(s) that you're planning to have?
Just my thoughts....

What dies delidding mean?
The top of the CPU you see isn't actually the chip. Its a metal plate that is stuck onto the chip to protect it. Some chips do this very well - with proper solder so that the heat is passed near-perfectly towards your heatsink.
Others are done quite shoddily, and the chip will run hotter than its needs to - so you can, if you are fairly brave, remove that metal plate and mount your heatsink directly on the chip.

Is that enough of a margin? The quoted figures are often not what they can push out stable 24/7.

If the HDD/SHDD is a 3rd drive used for storage, then that's not really beneficial is it? SSDH only helps to prioritise the files you use frequently, and its only about 10Gb of actual SSD. Better off spending the money on the proper SSD(s) that you're planning to have?
Just my thoughts....

The top of the CPU you see isn't actually the chip. Its a metal plate that is stuck onto the chip to protect it. Some chips do this very well - with proper solder so that the heat is passed near-perfectly towards your heatsink.
Others are done quite shoddily, and the chip will run hotter than its needs to - so you can, if you are fairly brave, remove that metal plate and mount your heatsink directly on the chip.

I already own a 1tb SSD. I've still gone for the SSHD as it still out performs a standard HDD, which means if I ever want to put the SSD in something else, I can still have something decent to replace it with.

I changed my PSU to a 750w Corsair one instead, think I mentioned it a few posts back.

Reactions: PTR
Seen there's a new Titan card just been released today...may as well put my 1080 ti in the bin...
(joking, obviously)

Are Titans considered better value for money?

Not really, no. The 1080 ti is marginally, very marginally better than the original Titan X, and marginally worse than the Titan XP, but the Titan XP costs £500 more than the 1080 ti.

This has been released out of the blue though.

The Titan's are better for rendering though, so it's better to go with the 1080 ti if you're mainly gaming.

Seen there's a new Titan card just been released today...may as well put my 1080 ti in the bin...
(joking, obviously)

Titan Xp? It's been out a while and has been slightly rebranded to show that it is using the Pascal chipset (hence the 'p') iirc.

Titan Xp? It's been out a while and has been slightly rebranded to show that it is using the Pascal chipset (hence the 'p') iirc.

The one released yesterday is actually a brand new card, albeit very similar to the Titan X, and the 1080 ti.

So this desktop arrived yesterday, and fuck me it's fast. Looks beautiful too. Playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Ultra and getting 180+ fps. Ghost Recon getting 100+ fps at Ultra. Just unreal.
What Hz?

Looks like the future (although basically we're just mostly looking at overpriced led lights) not keen on the name like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back