New Champions League format

I only ever watch the semis and final, that’s if an English team are in it. Just looks like one step closer to a European super league….ridiculous the teams involved complain about the amount of domestic games they play

The Champions League has been a meaningless name for a long time so pointless taking it literally. They should rebrand it and it's changing due to threat of ESL to UEFA and also more money for the big teams with more games.

Time for Hienkeen sit back and watch Sunday Pub Football and have a laugh….

Should actually make all three European formats actual full leagues. Teams competing for the year don't play in their domestic league to avoid burnout and congestion and to give some variance to league title winners in places where on team may dominate.

Champions of the 54 leagues and 1 cup competition (Liechenstein), along with winners of the previous competitions play in a league.

Champions League, consisting of 19 teams with champions of the top 17 ranked leagues by UEFA coefficient, along with previous Champions League winner and "promoted" Europa League winner from previous year.

Europa League, consisting of 19 teams with champions of the leagues ranked 18-35 and the "promoted" Conference League winner from previous year.

Conference League consisting of 20 teams from champions of the leagues ranked 36-55.

It's never going to go back to how it was, and while my crazy nonsense of an idea excludes always having multiple entrants from the big nations all the time it could shake up football across Europe maybe generating more money and more interest in average European fixtures. Great for West Ham fans winning the Conference League, but imagine that being won by Shamrock Rovers instead? Feel like talent might spread around a bit more. Why all go to the Premier League or La Liga for a team who just can't seem to finish higher than 3rd? Maybe go to Scotland where you'll probably play in the Champions League every other year. And coefficient scores would go crazy with likely just one team contributing to it. Poor performance in the Champions League? Well you've screwed the next champions of your league by slipping the coefficient down into Europa League. But then that team will have a better chance to win that...

The changes have been done to get more games in, which will bring more cash in for the top clubs, further strengthening a few select clubs at the top of the tree. They'll expand again in 3 ot 4 years time.

Couldn't be less interested in it.

Last edited:
It’s basically the super league , the fa cup carry on is just the start of the bigger clubs devaluing the domestic game to prioritise where the money is, I get it from a purely business point of view but they or forgetting (or were never around to know) it’s the Romance of football and authenticity that has created their cash cow, now sure where it will end up but I wouldn’t care one bit if the ‘big six’ (and the mags paying to be in that) just get on with it and the EFL realise they still have what makes football special

Italy have a good chance of getting 6 Champions League places for next season
If Atalanta win it they will as they won't finish in the top 5 so they'll be 6 Italian trams.
If Roma win it and finish in the top 5 Italy will have 5 places not 6.

If Atalanta win it they will as they won't finish in the top 5 so they'll be 6 Italian trams.
If Roma win it and finish in the top 5 Italy will have 5 places not 6.
Either Roma or Atalanta win the Europa League and finishing outside the top 4 in Serie A gives Italy 6 teams in the CL

Should be exclusively for the champions of each league in a straight knock out tournament
There should be a new version.... European Cup of Champions or whatever, and UEFA should be forced to fund it out if the new CL format. I loved the old European Cup knockout games.
There should be a new version.... European Cup of Champions or whatever, and UEFA should be forced to fund it out if the new CL format. I loved the old European Cup knockout games.
Actually, let them all form a super league and fuck off to playing in Saudi and UAE so we can go back to the way it was.

Last edited:
Football is awfully complicated these days. Playoffs within playoffs ( non league ) , VAR, FFP, so many substitutions, time added on, European Mini Leagues, two or three teams from a group qualifying for Euros, difficulty in buying a ticket for a bog standard league game, have we signed him or is he on loan, changes every season in the format of the FA Cup, fixture kick off times put back or brought forward at short notice ...
Rant over ... apologies
Time for a glass of Laphroaig ...

Back