TK-421

Winger
Sorry if already a thread but couldn’t see anything obvious

New champions league format from next season

- 36 teams up from the 32 we have now
- now in a league format rather than the initial group stage
- each team plays 8 different opponents, 4 at home and 4 away
- teams finishing in positions 1-8 automatically qualify for the next round
- teams finishing in positions 9-24 will go into a knockout play-off round where they’ll play each other
- teams finishing 25-36 are out (I get the gist that this means they’re out of every completion and not put into, say, the europa league)

This looks like it’ll be the same format for the europa league and conference league with the only difference being that in the conference league teams will only play 6 initial games

For me I don’t think seems as if it’ll be as enjoyable as its current format but we’ll just have to see

I have no problem with any format they use but I think they should change the name as it is no longer a tournament for the previous seasons champions. That’s all I have an issue with. The fact is the old European cup was there simply for the teams that have won their respective leagues and the team that then went on to win this European cup was considered the best team in Europe. Now you can finish 4th and in some cases 5th which is no longer what can be considered a league for champions. Money is at the root of all this and we all know it. The games themselves are only interesting until the knockout stage, the irony.

Do people still watch it?
Seems a bit of an obscure competition with games hidden away on weird satellite channels.

Seems a bit unfair playing some teams at home anothers away.

100% this

The CL is absolutely chod until the Quarter Final leading up to the final

That would upset the big boys though 💴 💰
That would upset the big boys though

💴
That's correct. Next step will be.
Automatic entry whatever league position for:
Man Utd
Bayern
PSG
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Inter
AC

etc etc

- teams finishing in positions 9-24 will go into a knockout play-off round where they’ll play each other
- teams finishing 25-36 are out (I get the gist that this means they’re out of every completion and not put into, say, the europa league)

This looks like it’ll be the same format for the europa league and conference league with the only difference being that in the conference league teams will only play 6 initial games

For me I don’t think seems as if it’ll be as enjoyable as its current format but we’ll just have to see
Ffs more match threads for me to do

The original European Cup format was much more competitive and entertaining to watch .... but as we all know it's not about entertainment anymore

I’m old enough to remember it and agree it was better it was only the champions but it was easier to win in my view. You only needed to play about 6 games and the first game might be against trinity college Dublin or some shite. Now your always guaranteed to meet the other top teams. It’s a lot harder to win now

Not defending this new format by the way. Sounds garbage.

I’m old enough to remember it and agree it was better it was only the champions but it was easier to win in my view. You only needed to play about 6 games and the first game might be against trinity college Dublin or some shite. Now your always guaranteed to meet the other top teams. It’s a lot harder to win now

Not defending this new format by the way. Sounds garbage.
True. But at least them teams had a chance to play on the big stage earned by being a a champion. Now they have to play a knockout game which invariably they lose because they can’t compete financially. Where as that one time they draw Real Madrid could keep them afloat for a while.

I don’t even watch it that much now, it’s just a cock waving contest for the rich

Just like the new world cup format, you'd have to be utterly shit not to get through to the knockouts

And that's exactly what they want, more and more teams getting through and more and more games.

They are biting the hand that feeds them and I can't wait for the day viewing figures start to recede
They must already be dwindling? The complete lack of terrestrial availability has to kill it somewhat.

But money is all that will ever matter and fuck the average family who can’t afford every available subscription.

Good grief, that sounds awful

Back