New camera advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 5265

As previously reported, I have lost my compact camera.

My thoughts for a replacement automatically turned to a DSLR, but while researching these, I have come across these cross-over micro-system cameras such as the Sony NEX-5. This is just one example, not necessarily the one I'd go for. I think they are also known as "four thirds" cameras.

They seem to me a good compromise in that they do a lot of what DSLRs do (e.g. interchangeable lenses) but are still small enough to carry around with you all the time, which is absolutely something I want as I love an opportunistic shot.

Does anyone have any views/advice on these please?

Thanks in advance.

this might not be much help but if i had a spare £500 i'd buy up one of those sony's NEX's in a flash!...maybe thats me being kinda loyal to sony though..there is a few alternatives out there such as the Panasonic G1, the Olympus pen ep1 and ep2.

this might not be much help but if i had a spare £500 i'd buy up one of those sony's NEX's in a flash!...maybe thats me being kinda loyal to sony though..there is a few alternatives out there such as the Panasonic G1, the Olympus pen ep1 and ep2.

Do I take it that they compare pretty well to a DSLR?

Olympus E-P1, have been reduced to about half their original cost recently and a cracking camera, am after on myself.

So these Pens etc. still have shutter lag? No shutter lag was the greatest difference I found between compacts and SLRs.

If they don't they may be a good bet. I'd also consider the Lumix range too - the LX3 is basically the same model as the entry-level Leica, and half the price.

Looks that that Lumix still has shutter lag, but nowhere near as bad as most compacts;

From here;

Timings and Shutter Lag
Although compact digital cameras are much easier to carry than a DSLR, every compact camera we have reviewed suffers from longer shutter and AF lag compared to DSLRs. While the LX3 certainly makes an attempt to rival the speeds of a high-performance DSLR, lag times were rather low in almost all categories.
When pre-focused, shutter lag (the time it takes for an image to be captured after you press the shutter button) is a rather average 0.08 seconds. Autofocus lag was a little less than impressive, as the LX3 takes 0.7 seconds to acquire autofocus in the multi-area autofocus mode. A much better 0.46 seconds for focus lock and capture can be realized in the high-speed center focus mode, however.
Continuous shooting performance again proved to be extremely impressive. The LX3 is capable of capturing four full-resolution JPEG images at 3.1 frames per second in "high speed" continuous mode. In "unlimited" continuous mode you can capture images at 2.1 fps until the memory card if full. The LX3 slows down if you switch the camera over to raw mode, as the LX3 captures three raw images at 2.3 fps in "high speed" mode. Interestingly, you can set the LX3 to capture raw images in the "unlimited" burst mode, but the camera still captures only three frames at a slower 1.7 fps.
If the LX3 has a speed weakness, it’s the rather disappointing lag between the initial power-on to the first shot being taken. Power-on to first shot was an average of 2.8 seconds: not horrible for compact camera, but slower than average for advanced point-and-shoots

The Canon G10 also gets excellent reviews.

At that level / cost, it's a trade off between portability and image quality. If you're the type who'd want a camera on you a lot so you can catch stuff you happen upon, then one of these high quality compacts may be right up your street. If you're more likely to be heading our specifically to take photos, then a DSLR will give you more features and (arguably) better imaging for the same money.

The Canon G10 also gets excellent reviews.

At that level / cost, it's a trade off between portability and image quality. If you're the type who'd want a camera on you a lot so you can catch stuff you happen upon, then one of these high quality compacts may be right up your street. If you're more likely to be heading our specifically to take photos, then a DSLR will give you more features and (arguably) better imaging for the same money.

A friend of mine bought a G11 and liked it so much he sold his 450D.

Did you decide Janiep ??

Not yet. Still really thinking about one of these microsystems but I need to get to the shops to have a proper look and feel of them I think.

For the cost of a new microsystem camera, I could get a second hand DSLR and a compact as well. At the moment that's also giving me pause for thought.

Not yet. Still really thinking about one of these microsystems but I need to get to the shops to have a proper look and feel of them I think.

For the cost of a new microsystem camera, I could get a second hand DSLR and a compact as well. At the moment that's also giving me pause for thought.

I am assuming you have looked at these microsytems in depth, which one are you swaying towards?
And have you looked at compacts also and if so same question.
:lol:

I am assuming you have looked at these microsytems in depth, which one are you swaying towards?
And have you looked at compacts also and if so same question.
:lol:

You assume too much! Not really had the time yet TBH. The compact I had was a Canon Ixus, I've forgotten the number. If I was to go for a compact, I'd go for whatever the current incarnation of my last one is.

As for the microsystem, I like the Sony NEX5 and it seems to be well-reviewed, but there are others (some of them mentioned in glowing terms on here) which are cheaper.

By the way, I went for the Canon Ixus about 2-3 years ago on the basis of a recommendation from the SMB, from Spav I think!

You assume too much! Not really had the time yet TBH. The compact I had was a Canon Ixus, I've forgotten the number. If I was to go for a compact, I'd go for whatever the current incarnation of my last one is.

As for the microsystem, I like the Sony NEX5 and it seems to be well-reviewed, but there are others (some of them mentioned in glowing terms on here) which are cheaper.

By the way, I went for the Canon Ixus about 2-3 years ago on the basis of a recommendation from the SMB, from Spav I think!

Cheers.
I am liking the look of Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF1.

But still unsure if I should just buy a compact :roll:

Complete novice from kodak instomatic technology era here:oops:

But wor lass doing some research and has narrowed down to 3 with wide price range so advice please on:-

samsung WB550
Panas Lum DHC-T25
Ricon Capilo R7

Cheers in advance

But wor lass doing some research and has narrowed down to 3 with wide price range so advice please on:-

samsung WB550
Panas Lum DHC-T25
Ricon Capilo R7

Cheers in advance

The Panasonic Lumix range has a Leica lens.

Have a look at the comparative cost of Leica compacts to see why that is such a plus.

samsung WB550
Panas Lum DHC-T25
Ricon Capilo R7

Cheers in advance

out of those i'd go for the panasonic for the exact same reasons, wouldnt really bother with samsung and that ricoh camera appears to be from 2007..if so then stay well away, technology has came on massively in cameras since then...how much you looking to spend?

out of those i'd go for the panasonic for the exact same reasons, wouldnt really bother with samsung and that ricoh camera appears to be from 2007..if so then stay well away, technology has came on massively in cameras since then...how much you looking to spend?

thanks also for response Mercia but now just been informed that shortlist has been updated :lol::oops:

not sure what she wants to spend ( i will probably fund!!) but looking for good value which is easy to operate when turned over to me!!

New shortlist
pan DMC-G2
olympus E-P1
canon powershot SX 1201S
But comments still welcome on original list!! (preferably polite ones!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back