New camera advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which lens did you get with it janie and how does it compact when switched off?

Also did you get any kind of case with it. A soft case could be useful.

The thing is it will give you more control and better results than the usual compacts I imagine.

Which lens did you get with it janie and how does it compact when switched off?

Also did you get any kind of case with it. A soft case could be useful.

The thing is it will give you more control and better results than the usual compacts I imagine.

It comes with 2 lenses, a fixed one and a zoomy one. I got the zoomy one. They're bringing out an even zoomier one, but I don't think you can get that yet. Do you like my grasp of the technical jargon :-D? You can also get a ring thing to fit other lenses on. The zoomy one doesn't really compact that much but it's still handbagable, just.

I haven't got a case yet as the only place I've found them in stock is on the Sony website, so need to order one from there. I'm not taking it out and about till I've got a case, so don't expect too much from me just yet. Until then, I've only got my blackberry to take pics on, as with this month's "the Sun" entry from me.

It comes with 2 lenses, a fixed one and a zoomy one. I got the zoomy one. They're bringing out an even zoomier one, but I don't think you can get that yet. Do you like my grasp of the technical jargon :-D? You can also get a ring thing to fit other lenses on. The zoomy one doesn't really compact that much but it's still handbagable, just.

I haven't got a case yet as the only place I've found them in stock is on the Sony website, so need to order one from there. I'm not taking it out and about till I've got a case, so don't expect too much from me just yet. Until then, I've only got my blackberry to take pics on, as with this month's "the Sun" entry from me.

I think the fixed one is wide angle and the zoomy one around 18-55mm or so which is the more useful for general photography. Most DLSRs supply that range of zoom as the kit lens.

The zoom you've got is wide angle to standard lens size anyway and the better choice.

Yes, you're certainly picking up the lingo and think you will love the step up in camera but read the manual fully is my advice rather than just working out how to take a pic on auto and not much else.

Wise not to take it out until you get a case for it, although the back garden aint too far away I suppose.

Did you get the flash also with the kit?

Did you get the flash also with the kit?

Yes, that came with it. The optical viewfinder is extra though (didn't get one). And the bloody case is expensive - £45! As far as I can make out, only Sony are making cases. Strange, I thought lots of companies would have piled in by now making ones of the right size.

Update: even the online Sony store are saying the cases deliver in 2-4 weeks. Seems a long time.

It might be worth looking on ebay for some of the fake cases from Hong Kong.

I got a couple of excellent compact cases from this seller for silly money (something like £1.50 including airmail postage) and they arrived within a few days.

Doesn't look like he has anything suitable at the moment but I am sure a search will reveal plenty similar sellers. Obviously won't be as good as the genuine case, but should let you get out and about.

Cracking them like. The colours on the Wembley arch are great.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm particularly thrilled with the flower shots on macro: being something of a gardener I like to take pics of the garden at all times of the year so I'm looking forward to using it.

I've just been playing with the NEX3 & 5 in the shop. Looks and feels very good, I'm currently in the market for one of these cameras too. I want something smaller to take to Thailand for Christmas and think I'd get more use out of one of these than I would my D90.

Hmmmmm decisions decisions :confused::lol:

I've just been playing with the NEX3 & 5 in the shop. Looks and feels very good, I'm currently in the market for one of these cameras too. I want something smaller to take to Thailand for Christmas and think I'd get more use out of one of these than I would my D90.

Hmmmmm decisions decisions :confused::lol:

Have a gander at the Canon G11 too - had a go of one the other day and it was ace.

Have a gander at the Canon G11 too - had a go of one the other day and it was ace.
Yeah I will do mate, seen one in action and looked very very good. the only thing I'm wary of is being restricted with range... any idea what that's like?

Yeah I will do mate, seen one in action and looked very very good. the only thing I'm wary of is being restricted with range... any idea what that's like?

Pretty good - 5 x optical zoom, equivalent to 28-140mm.

It's very pricey though, that's the only downside as far as I see.

The Panosonic Lumix with the Leica lenses look great too, could be work checking them all out including the Sony.

The Panosonic Lumix with the Leica lenses look great too, could be work checking them all out including the Sony.
Just bought the G11 - I'll report back later once i've had a play about with it, first impressions are good!

I have two thoughts, put your camera away until January 2011 and just use your old blackberry camera.

Or

Go and do some gardening until January 2011 and forget the competition.

Some of the best pictures posted in the Photography Corner.

I wish I'd entered the berries in byegone times now under the theme of "where has the summer gone" or the like.

Lumix LX5 is just released and is an awesome camera. I also recently bought the Lumix TZ10 which is a great camera, slightly smaller than the LX5 and with an optical zoom to 300mm

I'm a Canon SLR user myself, but for point and shoot camera, Lumix is really leading the way at the moment, and I've chosen them over Canon the last couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back