New build houses

Don’t forget to double check the lease and any covenants attached to the development!

I’ve been in my new build almost 2 years now, was wary at first after reading threads on here but I love it. big windows, lots of space and I’ve never heard anything from the neighbouring flats. It sounds like them upstairs are stomping around in doc martins though :evil:

only problem I’ve had is some balcony doors must have been put in by the apprentice and I’ve had nothing but bother with them since moving in. Every time someone comes out they find another problem with them and it’s never ending.

my Builder was Robertsons and the developer was the Scottish government so not very relevant to you mate, sorry.
The law changed in 2019. All new build houses are freehold now after the issues with escalating ground rents.

If you buy an old house it will potentially be full of shit needing attention, some things very serious and costly. A new build with a desnag list that gets fixed under warranty sounds better imo. Never bought a new build however.

Yep, bought an old house a few years back and had quite a few problems, some serious, some not so, but even the little stuff is a pain in the arse I could do without. Which is why I'm considering a new build

Bought a keepmoat (formerly Aslam iirc)one a few year ago. No real problems, other then initial snags. Wife ower the road had big issues with leaks which they've fucked her about with. They still sell sharp like, one round the corner went on the market and went within 3 weeks.

That was before all this like.

Seems to be pot luck. Main problem is sub contractors don't give a fuck. If the building companies employed more tradesmen directly they would have more control over quality but they don't give a shit either. My first house was a new build and we only had them out once to replace a window pain where the decorative trim was damaged. That was a smaller builder who has since been bought by one of the big companies.
The main problem is having lads on stupid unrealistic prices where cutting corners are encouraged.

its been 20 year since I was on a big housing site and I hope I don't see another in the next 20 year either.

Yep, bought an old house a few years back and had quite a few problems, some serious, some not so, but even the little stuff is a pain in the arse I could do without. Which is why I'm considering a new build

That’s the thing for me. People will buy and old house and hoying thousands at issues is just seen as the way it is. Some buy a new build and need to chase up a de snag list but at least it’s all done under warranty.

If you buy an old house it will potentially be full of shit needing attention, some things very serious and costly. A new build with a desnag list that gets fixed under warranty sounds better imo. Never bought a new build however.
f***ing money pits thats what old houses are.

Ive just finished a part renovation on a big old house thats come in at £80k and its not even scratched the surface.

The main problem is having lads on stupid unrealistic prices where cutting corners are encouraged.

its been 20 year since I was on a big housing site and I hope I don't see another in the next 20 year either.

You will know more about it than me mate but part of the problem is surely that the best tradesmen work for themselves and don't need to do subbie work for the big builders which means you have mediocre tradesmen trying to graft faster than they should be meaning it is an all round shit show.
That’s the thing for me. People will buy and old house and hoying thousands at issues is just seen as the way it is. Some buy a new build and need to chase up a de snag list but at least it’s all done under warranty.

You can't win really. New house builds have been shite for 40-50 years so buying a quality house with no issues is very difficult these days. Our lasses gran lives in a lovely 1950s house but it still needs 20-30k spent on it (new roof and kitchen for a start) to get it up to modern standard. Still tempted to buy it when she dies like.

Last edited:
You will know more about it than me mate but part of the problem is surely that the best tradesmen work for themselves and don't need to do subbie work for the big builders which means you have mediocre tradesmen trying to graft faster than they should be meaning it is an all round shit show.
that doesn't apply really.

I know canny joiners/bricklayers etc who are house bashers and I know loads of lads who work for themselves who are absolutely f***ing useless at best.Infact I think loads start for themselves as they are possibly forced into it because they can't hold a job down for more than 5 mins.

You can't win really. New house builds have been shite for 40-50 years so buying a quality house with no issues is very difficult these days. Our lasses gran lives in a lovely 1950s house but it still needs 20-30k spent on it (new roof and kitchen for a start) to get it up to modern standard. Still tempted to buy it when she dies like.

That’s true like, any house is a pain in the arse to some degree. Old or new there’s a load of luck of the draw in play.

Bought a keepmoat (formerly Aslam iirc)one a few year ago. No real problems, other then initial snags. Wife ower the road had big issues with leaks which they've fucked her about with. They still sell sharp like, one round the corner went on the market and went within 3 weeks.

That was before all this like.

Aye despite all the issues in our estate when they go up for sale they sell quickly and usually for above the original price. I'm a nosey kernt and check them all on zoopla.

You'd think new builds were made of paper and put up by 1st year apprentice joiners the way people on here go on. :lol:

You can have problems like anything but in the main they seem ideal imo. I've got a house from the 60s and had to spend plenty on it. Still love it. It's just the way it is. Atleast with new builds you probably have a good 5-10 year guaranteed where nothing pricey will pop up out of nowhere. Never understand the general slagging off of them.
that doesn't apply really.

I know canny joiners/bricklayers etc who are house bashers and I know loads of lads who work for themselves who are absolutely f***ing useless at best.Infact I think loads start for themselves as they are possibly forced into it because they can't hold a job down for more than 5 mins.
Some of the lads you come across working for themselves and you wonder how they ever make a living tbf. Barely know the basics and shoddy with it. :lol:

Last edited:
We bought a Taylor Wimpey new build in 2011 and the build quality was bloody terrible. By the time we moved in 2014 every house in a street of 13 had their boiler replaced. Our kitchen was effectively built as an extension to the main structure and was so poorly insulated the taps froze in winter. Endured leaks all over the place, the tiles on the kitchen floor had to be relaid and so on. Never again.

You'd think new builds were made of paper and put up by 1st year apprentice joiners the way people on here go on. :lol:

You can have problems like anything but in the main they seem ideal imo. I've got a house from the 60s and had to spend plenty on it. Still love it. It's just the way it is. Atleast with new builds you probably have a good 5-10 year guaranteed where nothing pricey will pop up out of nowhere. Never understand the general slagging off of them.

Some of the lads you come across working for themselves and you wonder how they ever make a living tbf. Barely know the basics and shoddy with it. :lol:
seen a big double extension last Saturday that had just been finished and its probs took money of the price of the house ffs.

When stuff is a mess like that its generally when people think they can get their own bricklayers /joiners etc from a mate of a cousin and nonsense like that.Ive only ever seen it end in disaster.

seen a big double extension last Saturday that had just been finished and its probs took money of the price of the house ffs.

When stuff is a mess like that its generally when people think they can get their own bricklayers /joiners etc from a mate of a cousin and nonsense like that.Ive only ever seen it end in disaster.
Yeah, little guvvy jobs is one thing but when you are getting proper work done you really should be going with the professionals imo. People trying to get jobs done on the cheap and it's mental really when you are talking about your family home. I get that money can be tight and that but what happens when things can and do go wrong? Ye fucked basically. That's before you even talk about the general standard of work.
Peace of mind is another thing. Go with proper lads and you know you are generally covered, standards will be met, job signed off, etc. It's worth the extra in the long run.

Moved into a Taylor Wimpey in December and I’ve been absolutely over the moon with it. Few snags but they sorted them pretty much immediately, even a couple of dents we put on the wall when we moved in and a few scratches on the kitchen wall that the arsehole dog artistically added.

We’re in the first ten or so people to move into the estate so they might be better given they’ll be on site for another couple of years and you ignore our lass at your peril. It might be a different story when they’re packing up and nearly ready to move on to the next job (which is what happened with my last one - a Miller).
Been in my TW since 2011 and love it
Few niggles but compared to keeping an old Victoria House warm and running it's a doddle

Bellway are f***ing shit. Absolute cowboys.
Couldn’t agree more.
The law changed in 2019. All new build houses are freehold now after the issues with escalating ground rents.
The law didn’t change in the slightest because no laws were passed. The Government got the big builders to say they wouldn’t be naughty anymore with selling leaseholds by signing a Pledge.

A bit like a burglar writing you a note saying he wouldn’t come back.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more.

The law didn’t change in the slightest because no laws were passed. The Government got the big builders to say they wouldn’t be naughty anymore with selling leaseholds by signing a Pledge.

A bit like a burglar writing you a note saying he wouldn’t come back.
They are all freehold now. I value 20 - 30 new builds each month for the banks. Which new build leasehold houses have you seen recently?

Back