NEPL T20 Finals Day

I see the Brandon Globetrotters weren’t able to get past the reigning National champions.

Great day at Benwell Hill - some good cricket on show and impressive performances from what I saw. Pringle a talented, strong lad but Trevaskis for South North played a great knock in the chase.

Good luck to South North representing the league in the national stages, hope they win it all again, great to see the region do well in National comps.

Looking at that Brandon team yesterday and it must be the biggest mis match of all time. Half the team is made up of outstanding proven players, with the other half made up of bang average players. The money spent down there this year will be frightening and at the moment they don't look like getting promotion (I think they will but got a lot to do still). If they can sustain it then great, but I always fear that clubs in that situation will go tits up at some point.

Looking at that Brandon team yesterday and it must be the biggest mis match of all time. Half the team is made up of outstanding proven players, with the other half made up of bang average players. The money spent down there this year will be frightening and at the moment they don't look like getting promotion (I think they will but got a lot to do still). If they can sustain it then great, but I always fear that clubs in that situation will go tits up at some point.

They’ve got a pretty solid business model at present in fairness.

As for the mismatch of talent, isn’t that the case with most club sides? Shit, it’s even true of some professional clubs isn’t it?!

Not sure what Brandon have done to deserve your ire, but I doubt they’ll lose any sleep over it.

Thought that might get more than just an eye roll!

Yesterday there were 5 serious cricketers in that Brandon side, 2 others who have a small role to play and 4 lads that are just there to watch and throw the ball back occasionally. Would be surprised if they were the 4 next best players at the club but actually just lads available... shame they weren’t available to fill in for the second round of the National Knockout after beating Benwell Hill - never great to see a side concede, let alone in a national, but Brandon could have had a chance to do okay in that comp with the 4/5 match winners depending on whether Pringle was playing.

Be an interesting end to the season for them as to whether they can get promotion - more than capable of it but a competitive league. Be interesting to see whether they can keep hold of all the big names next year whatever league they’re in - all will have clubs interested every winter no doubt.

Thought that might get more than just an eye roll!

Yesterday there were 5 serious cricketers in that Brandon side, 2 others who have a small role to play and 4 lads that are just there to watch and throw the ball back occasionally. Would be surprised if they were the 4 next best players at the club but actually just lads available... shame they weren’t available to fill in for the second round of the National Knockout after beating Benwell Hill - never great to see a side concede, let alone in a national, but Brandon could have had a chance to do okay in that comp with the 4/5 match winners depending on whether Pringle was playing.

Be an interesting end to the season for them as to whether they can get promotion - more than capable of it but a competitive league. Be interesting to see whether they can keep hold of all the big names next year whatever league they’re in - all will have clubs interested every winter no doubt.

It was more the superlatives you used, thought perhaps you wrote for The S*n with crack like that.

Yesterday wasn’t the strongest 11, but most clubs have 3/4 players who are just there to field don’t they? I suspect even the clubs at the top end of the Premier Division have a couple of lads like that.

To be fair to Brandon they do have a bit of depth and their 2s got promoted to the top division last year. Not sure how many local lads have come through the ranks to play a big role in the 1st team but that's not always possible. I get the bloke's point in that the big test of a club is what happens when the money dries up, but sadly these days, only a select few clubs would survive at the top level without any cash.

It was more the superlatives you used, thought perhaps you wrote for The S*n with crack like that.

Yesterday wasn’t the strongest 11, but most clubs have 3/4 players who are just there to field don’t they? I suspect even the clubs at the top end of the Premier Division have a couple of lads like that.

Most clubs will have 1/2 there in a bit-part role I fully agree, especially on a Sunday after playing a Saturday (don’t need to start the double header/bank holiday debate again - it was boring enough a couple of weeks ago). Was more a comment linking to it being disappointing to see them pull out the National due to not having 11 in a comp where I think those 4/5 players would give them a great chance to go far; 4 fielders would have been fine to get the game on and then hope those all-stars (maybe more appropriate than globetrotters) won the game for you to reach the next round where hopefully everyone is available.

Most clubs will have 1/2 there in a bit-part role I fully agree, especially on a Sunday after playing a Saturday (don’t need to start the double header/bank holiday debate again - it was boring enough a couple of weeks ago). Was more a comment linking to it being disappointing to see them pull out the National due to not having 11 in a comp where I think those 4/5 players would give them a great chance to go far; 4 fielders would have been fine to get the game on and then hope those all-stars (maybe more appropriate than globetrotters) won the game for you to reach the next round where hopefully everyone is available.

I’m not aware of the reasons as to why they couldn’t get a side - but seeing any side concede is a shame, when it’s a team going for promotion it’s quite embarassing.

Back