need urgent advice from the builders on here please.

Long story short I have been conned out of a large sum of money with regards some building work and the builder has buggered off and isnt replying to my texts, but thats a different issue.

The advice I need, it seems some of the work he did isnt up to standard.

I got a chimney breast wall removed, he told us we didn't need any planning permission or needed the council involved in anyway, it was a simple job, he quote us for steel, removal and making good of wall.

Well after he buggered off with our money leaving most jobs unfinished, I posted on another forum for advice and it was brought to my attention it is in fact needing to be signed off by building control.

The problem is while he was doing the job he said "ohh this job doesn't need steel at all" so didn't fit it, said something about how the bricks are interlocking and the beams above are strong enough, I was a little worried and he said to give me peace of mind he would add extra wood beams, not being a builder I trusted his advice and let him go ahead.

My questions are, could that be true, I have the building control booked to come out and take a look tomorrow, should I expect to be told its no good? does it always need steel added?

If it does what sort of cost are we looking at to just add steel to make it safe, he took everything I had ( I borrowed money to do the jobs ) the chimney is in the middle between two houses on the party wall, the upstairs part of the stack was not removed.

what's my options moving forward, I only have my credit card available, but I have to make it safe ( if its unsafe ) if the stack upstairs was removed would that mean we dont need steel, would that be cheaper?

Any advice on how to move forward would be great, this has been a nightmare and I feel really stupid to have been conned out of so much money with such little return.

Long story short I have been conned out of a large sum of money with regards some building work and the builder has buggered off and isnt replying to my texts, but thats a different issue.

I got a chimney breast wall removed, he told us we didn't need any planning permission or needed the council involved in anyway, it was a simple job, he quote us for steel, removal and making good of wall.

Well after he buggered off with our money leaving most jobs unfinished, I posted on another forum for advice and it was brought to my attention it is in fact needing to be signed off by building control.

The problem is while he was doing the job he said "ohh this job doesn't need steel at all" so didn't fit it, said something about how the bricks are interlocking and the beams above are strong enough, I was a little worried and he said to give me peace of mind he would add extra wood beams, not being a builder I trusted his advice and let him go ahead.

My questions are, could that be true, I have the building control booked to come out and take a look tomorrow, should I expect to be told its no good? does it always need steel added?

If it does what sort of cost are we looking at to just add steel to make it safe, he took everything I had ( I borrowed money to do the jobs ) the chimney is in the middle between two houses on the party wall, the upstairs part of the stack was not removed.

what's my options moving forward, I only have my credit card available, but I have to make it safe ( if its unsafe ) if the stack upstairs was removed would that mean we dont need steel, would that be cheaper?

Any advice on how to move forward would be great, this has been a nightmare and I feel really stupid to have been conned out of so much money with such little return.
So sorry mate

It’s rare you don’t need some form of gallows bracket when removing the lower section of chimney, certainly when it’s a party wall.

I’d engage with Building Control and advise them of your predicament.

You will need a structural survey and someone to do the work if it’s needed.

If this person/ company have such scruples they are happy to rip you off, then it’s most likely they couldn’t give a shit about what standard of work they’ve left.

Where do you live?

thank you, my wife is in bits atm like, not eating, sleeping, throwing up. Its a complete mess, I blame myself for being too bloody trusting, was done up like a kipper, must have seen me coming :(

Happened to a mate of mine who employed a mate of his.
It's horrible.
I'm his case he paid most of it back then the builder died of a heart attack.

Keep you chin up mate. I know it's hard but it's only money in the end.
I'm sure everyone on here is supporting you.

thank you, my wife is in bits atm like, not eating, sleeping, throwing up. Its a complete mess, I blame myself for being too bloody trusting, was done up like a kipper, must have seen me coming :(
The horrible bastard who has done it and not your fault at all mate I just wonder how many years he been doing the exact same thing to others. Hope you both get sorted and is no way you can take him to court ( probably been before and just started trading under a different name )

It’s rare you don’t need some form of gallows bracket when removing the lower section of chimney, certainly when it’s a party wall.

I’d engage with Building Control and advise them of your predicament.

You will need a structural survey and someone to do the work if it’s needed.

If this person/ company have such scruples they are happy to rip you off, then it’s most likely they couldn’t give a shit about what standard of work they’ve left.

Where do you live?
building control is coming out tomorrow to check the work, I live in north shields.

We have posted on check-a-trade to try and find someone to check the work and get a quote to put it right.

There is a old fireplace / chimney wall in my sons bedroom ( all blocked in years ago I guess ) its an ex council house. I guess the weight of what's remaining is going to be the issue?
Happened to a mate of mine who employed a mate of his.
It's horrible.
I'm his case he paid most of it back then the builder died of a heart attack.

Keep you chin up mate. I know it's hard but it's only money in the end.
I'm sure everyone on here is supporting you.
thank you.

Bloody hell. What a bastard. I know it's too late but for others do the Council provide a service which will identify the work to be done before you employ a builder? Anyone know? Structural engineer?

Last edited:

Where do you live mate.

I don’t mind helping out if need be. Don’t worry about the money side of it.

In the short term let BC do his visit and take it from there.

building control is coming out tomorrow to check the work, I live in north shields.

Sorry, I’d missed this part when I first read your post.
The building control officer will not be able to undertake any structural design work, but should be able to advise if it’s unsafe.
There is a old fireplace / chimney wall in my sons bedroom ( all blocked in years ago I guess ) its an ex council house. I guess the weight of what's remaining is going to be the issue?

thank you.

Okay, you have a two storey house and they’ve removed the masonry from the ground floor only? The builder has said the first floor joists are sufficiently strong enough to take the load of the masonry with timber reinforcement only.

Is my understanding correct?

Back