Need to borrow 5 grand.

I urgently needed 2 or 3 grand a few months back, to help me re-locate for work. Thought it would be a breeze, walking into the bank and asking for a loan, did it plenty back in the day, but oh how times have changed, was shocked and surprised at the responses, the banks I use CO OP and Halifax not interested, and even if they were, they gave me details of a third party lender, not the bank itself, whose rates were similar to those offered by pay day loan companies. In the end I drew a blank and had to jettison the job start. A friend offered to loan me the money, but I know from experience these things tend not to end well, so turned that down, but my advice is getting the money from a friend/relative is the best option and obviously cheaper. One day they might need you to repay the favour.

Use the credit karma app. They show you exactly what you can borrow and at what rate and who will definitely lend to you without affecting your credit score. I've just done it to pay off my credit cards.

Anyone recommend a decent lender who isn't on comparison sites? Best rate I can get so far is 14.1%.

I got a good deal with a 0% balance transfer deal a while back.

I paid for what I needed on a credit card 1
Did a balance transfer for 30 months to card 2
Paid what I could afford over the 30 months and then transferred what was left to card 1 who also did 0% balance transfers.

There was a set fee for doing it both times, so you have to get your calculator out to check, but that was the cheapest for me.
I just used the money compare sites to find the cheapest credit cards with the lowest fee for 0% balance transfers.

Plus it gave me the freedom to pay off as little or as much as I wanted over the term of the deal.

Back