NE best place to live

Borders I think would be worth a look too personally as I havnt spent any time there but presumably just like an extension of North Northumberland

I'd say the borders is better than North Northumberland in a way, dead nice scenery around the Hawick / Selkirk / Galashiels area and a right hidden gem of Scotland as all the head up to Loch Lomand etc.

Plus you have places for shopping etc rather than having to travel miles.

Google Maps - Typical of the A7 between Hawick and Selkirk, for example.

Eighton Banks :cool:

20 minutes to get to Sunderland, Newcastle or Durham. A minute to join the A1.

Some decent pubs, Good walks and nice old houses.

Might not be too bad further in land. We were looking to move in 2021 and the market was mental. Houses would sell within hours of going up for sale. As we were living in Cheshire lots of the viewings we booked in the week were gone by the weekend when we could travel up. Good luck, I hope you find somewhere you like. My only regret is that we aren't on the coast, the area (vale of York) is nice though.
Thank you. Yes, Vale of York is nice. I'd live there too with no hesitation.

Seahouses.

Great beaches, good community.

Everything you need day to day. In fact it fulfils the "15 minute city" criteria, apart from the bank that closed last year.

Some cracking pubs within a few miles.

Canny fish and chips.

And the local football team play in black and white.;)

I'd say the borders is better than North Northumberland in a way, dead nice scenery around the Hawick / Selkirk / Galashiels area and a right hidden gem of Scotland as all the c**ts head up to Loch Lomand etc.

Plus you have places for shopping etc rather than having to travel miles.

Google Maps - Typical of the A7 between Hawick and Selkirk, for example.
Stunning that mate -I take it that’s rush hour !!
Do you have a particular favorite spot /village /town ?
Durham, 30 mins to coast, 30 mins to countryside, got shopping, but sadly, nee where to eat
Nightmare traffic considering how small it is around certain times-beautiful city though

Last edited:
Stunning that mate -I take it that’s rush hour !!
Do you have a particular favorite spot /village /town ?

Nightmare traffic considering how small it is around certain times-beautiful city though

Probably like, honestly I haven't been up too much but Eyemouth and Kelso are two really lovely places, one is a little fishing village on the coast and the other is quite a historial little town, cobble streets and the lot. They're all so quiet and everyone is friendly aswell as they don't really get much tourism - or there doesn't seem to be much whenever I've been.

Galashiels and Hawick are a bit weird, quite rough tbh, quite similar to Berwick Town Centre, in a way.

Probably like, honestly I haven't been up too much but Eyemouth and Kelso are two really lovely places, one is a little fishing village on the coast and the other is quite a historial little town, cobble streets and the lot. They're all so quiet and everyone is friendly aswell as they don't really get much tourism - or there doesn't seem to be much whenever I've been.

Galashiels and Hawick are a bit weird, quite rough tbh, quite similar to Berwick Town Centre, in a way.
Eyemouth can be rough mind.

Kelso is lovely, rented a place there for a year, very tweed jacket though, didn’t really “click” with the vibe. Agree about Galashiels, lovely surrounding area but rough, Melrose much nicer (but tweedy and ruggery obviously). We ended living in Dunbar for 4 years (job in Edinburgh). Lovely town, as is North Berwick, although more pricey.

Aye could imagine in a way to be fair, only been during the day. Could imagine some of the fishermen being characters mind.
Back in the 80's, while on a diving trip, a mate of mine got a proper shoeing off 4 of them for the cheek of being a diver.

Kelso is lovely, rented a place there for a year, very tweed jacket though, didn’t really “click” with the vibe. Agree about Galashiels, lovely surrounding area but rough, Melrose much nicer (but tweedy and ruggery obviously). We ended living in Dunbar for 4 years (job in Edinburgh). Lovely town, as is North Berwick, although more pricey.

Aye nice North Berwick like, never actually been to Dunbar, somewhere I need to go to sometime actually.

Galashiels always reminds me of Dingwall and Fort William in the Highlands. Some of the nicest places on your door step but very odd places. The Scottish habit of pebble dashing every building they can doesn't help either mind especially in rougher areas for some reason.

Aye nice North Berwick like, never actually been to Dunbar, somewhere I need to go to sometime actually.

Galashiels always reminds me of Dingwall and Fort William in the Highlands. Some of the nicest places on your door step but very odd places. The Scottish habit of pebble dashing every building they can doesn't help either mind especially in rougher areas for some reason.
It's not the pebble dashing, it's the fact that tend to paint it grey! A bit more white would be nice!

It's not the pebble dashing, it's the fact that tend to paint it grey! A bit more white would be nice!

Aye your right there mind, always reminds of Eastern Europe and Russia which isn't much of a compliment. Northern Ireland is the same. I'm glad we didn't go for it across the border, places like Scotswood is miserable enough as it is, be even worse if everything was grey or even worse than orangey / brown / red colour - I don't actually know what is is, like here: Google Maps

Aye, we bought a new build in Dunbar, pebbledash of course, had a choice of white, pink or sandy colour. You got attuned to it after a while but it’s never a look you would choose, some of council estates, (always grey pebbledash) looked grim.

Aye your right there mind, always reminds of Eastern Europe and Russia which isn't much of a compliment. Northern Ireland is the same. I'm glad we didn't go for it across the border, places like Scotswood is miserable enough as it is, be even worse if everything was grey or even worse than orangey / brown / red colour - I don't actually know what is is, like here: Google Maps
I'm so glad I've been lucky enough to never having to live anywhere like that.

I lived in a pleasant village about 10 miles from Glasgow. It was surrounded by some awful looking places. And some of the parts of Glasgow were absolute eye openers.

Is Brotton fisheries still open.

We don’t go to Brotton and they don’t come to Marske.
Strange people up there, not wired up correctly. Also they can’t say the word “going ” appropriatly. They say “ Goyyngg” or something like that. Queer lot.

Back