ND Filter shots

• Thread starter clockstand pie chuka
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

did the camera also reduce the shutter speed, as it looks like it was quite dark when you took these?

none the less, it's given you a nice gel-like effect on the water. I think you would see a much better cotton-wool effect on a clear bright day using this filter.

top one has given you an especially nice result.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're 15 second exposure shots.Was down early at 7:30 trying to catch some sun rise but no such luck.Hence the murky look but it adds to the mood for me.I'll try some in better light at the weekend.;)

That's what I'm using.A lot easier than having to change filters tbh.Range is from 1-8 stops.£30 is Chas Eagles.

That's what I'm using.A lot easier than having to change filters tbh.Range is from 1-8 stops.£30 is Chas Eagles.

guaranteed to be totally f***ing awful

You take one filter out and put another in. With practice you can do it quite quickly ;)

Anyone used a variable ND filter? Didn't know such a thing existed until I saw this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/62mm-Fade...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item3a6b857d1a might give it a go.

I've got one. Problem that I find is that it adds a horrible vignette when you use it at less than focal length 25mm or so. Seems alright otherwise, however for those wider landscapes better to use slide in filters. Also, easier to stack them up this way, i.e. soft and hard grad ND's.

Speaking of which, I noticed some people I follow on flicker use Lee filters. Yowser, expensive! :eek:

I've got one. Problem that I find is that it adds a horrible vignette when you use it at less than focal length 25mm or so. Seems alright otherwise, however for those wider landscapes better to use slide in filters. Also, easier to stack them up this way, i.e. soft and hard grad ND's.

Speaking of which, I noticed some people I follow on flicker use Lee filters. Yowser, expensive! :eek:

Noticed that on a couple of shots today.Early days for me so I'll see how it goes.I'll switch if it becomes too problematic.

got one ages ago, waste of money to be honest....well i thought so anyway.

Seen your longer exposures on seaham beach :eek: you clearly know the crack when it comes to density marra...

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed that on a couple of shots today.Early days for me so I'll see how it goes.I'll switch if it becomes too problematic.

Alright in lower light and smaller ND stops, but seems to get worse the brighter the light and the higher the stops. Zooming in past 25mm seems to fix mine. Just experiment a wee bit and you'll see what works.

Got a b&w 10 stop for Christmas, tbh I got sick of waiting for the lee 10 stop filter, I cancelled my order that I've been waiting for months for. Anyway, only taken a few, but it's class. This picture was taken nigh on midday... Exposure was about 4 mins I think :cool:

Logon or register to see this image

Pier by David John Harris, on Flickr

Got a b&w 10 stop for Christmas, tbh I got sick of waiting for the lee 10 stop filter, I cancelled my order that I've been waiting for months for. Anyway, only taken a few, but it's class. This picture was taken nigh on midday... Exposure was about 4 mins I think :cool:

Lee halted production on the 10 stopper because the quality was not good enough. Dunno if they have restarted yet

Seen your longer exposures on seaham beach :eek: you clearly know the crack when it comes to density marra...

aye, go out when its dark and there's nee need for filters :lol:

actually the only filter i really use is this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-Neutral-Density-NDx400-Filter/dp/B00111UX40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327053478&sr=8-1

but i only have one for my kit lens (with 52mm thread), just got a sigma 10-20mm lens and dont have any filters for it yet, the one i linked to is the one i need for this new lens, cant afford it right now though.

I have the same 10 stop and it gives great results.

Need to get my arse in to gear as my camera has barely been out the bag this past year. Keep seeing these cracking sunrises when i am walking the bairn to school wishing I was on the coast.

clyde said:
aye, go out when its dark and there's nee need for filters :lol:

actually the only filter i really use is this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-Neutral-Density-NDx400-Filter/dp/B00111UX40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327053478&sr=8-1

but i only have one for my kit lens (with 52mm thread), just got a sigma 10-20mm lens and dont have any filters for it yet, the one i linked to is the one i need for this new lens, cant afford it right now though.

That's the same filter that I use and also with the 52mm thread. Did you ever get any problems with vignette and if so how do you overcome them? Is it just a focal length problem, I.e vignette problems at lower than around 25mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back