ncb style donkey jackets

I had a donkey jacket when I was 16/17. Cannot remember where I got it, one of those hand-me-down things I think.

Loved that jacket, kept me warm during the cold months as YTS painter and decorator, especially during a cold February up in Consett creosoting fences!

Why’s it called a donkey jacket?

I think it goes back to when canals were being dug out by navvies - and they wore jackets that were hard wearing and had a bit of protection for working out in all weathers.
The navvies would use steam powered donkey engines to drive winches & shovels whilst digging the canals - maybe it came from there.

Get yourself a haversack to go with it. A must for the complete early 80s retro look.
Add in Italian army combat trousers and you have my wardrobe for the first seven years of the eighties

Would never wear one with those plastic shoulder patches.

Used to be ideal for wearing outside on site, the water would just absorb into it, made it heavy as owt but didn’t drip down. The modern hiviz gortex crap just get your strides soaked in seconds

Last edited:
Add in Italian army combat trousers and you have my wardrobe for the first seven years of the eighties

Would never wear one with those plastic shoulder patches.

Used to be ideal for wearing outside on site, the water would just absorb into it, made it heavy as owt but didn’t drip down. The modern hiviz gortex crap just get your strides soaked in seconds

I used to do my paper round in a donkey jacket in my mid teens. You're right about the rain, with a sodden donkey jacket and a bag of papers on each shoulder, I could barely walk :lol:

Why’s it called a donkey jacket?

Because originally it was a wool coat with a leather patch over the shoulders front and back for people who spent their days carrying sacks of wool/cloth etc round on their shoulders, the leather was much harder wearing than the wool. They were basically performing the role of a pack animal hence terms like 'donkey jacket' and 'doing the donkey work'.

In our house we had al sorts like donkey jackets, boots etc with NCB on, but as me fatha always said 'it really stands for Not Coming Back'... :D

Because originally it was a wool coat with a leather patch over the shoulders front and back for people who spent their days carrying sacks of wool/cloth etc round on their shoulders, the leather was much harder wearing than the wool. They were basically performing the role of a pack animal hence terms like 'donkey jacket' and 'doing the donkey work'.

In our house we had al sorts like donkey jackets, boots etc with NCB on, but as me fatha always said 'it really stands for Not Coming Back'... :D

No c*nts bothered.

Was closer to the truth....

Back