NASA & The Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Elon musk reckons he's landing there next year :lol: absolute fantasist. Still though if it does happen it should put to bed a few conspiracy theories as they are planning on going to find the lunar rover.

Not sure the resident mining alien workforce will be best please mind.
Not landing. In fact they strap you to the top of a rocket and fire you on a trajectory that sends you round the back of the moon and straight back again. You have no control at all. Still, I'd do it I think.

Any copper, paramedic or A&E nurse/doctor will tell you they are always busier during a full moon.
Anecdotal evidence which doesn't stand up to the briefest analysis.

Ah cheers, I hadn't seen that one. Still, you may mock Elon but he's pushing back the boundaries with recovering rocket stages, cool names for drone ships, and some enormous unexpected bangs. It's still noit him lkanding on the Moon mind.

Last edited:
Mate. Most of them are in low earth orbit.

The rest look too good to be true.

Jury is still out. ;)
It's pointless discussing the facts on here anymore. No single unedited photo of earth, in its entirety exists. I can't wait for Space X to fly its first mission around the moon to show actual photographs (or even better, a live video feed) of the earth in outer orbit. The earth could well be a sphere, flat and on the back of a turtle, or shaped like a potato.

Last edited:
Trump has signed a 'bill' (I guess it's a bill) finding NASA for an eventual manned mission to Mars.

Any copper, paramedic or A&E nurse/doctor will tell you they are always busier during a full moon.

Yeah but that's bollocks though

cognitive biases and communal reinforcement

Many believe in lunar myths because they have heard them repeated many times by members of the mass media, by police officers, nurses, doctors, social workers, and other people with influence. Once many people believe something and enjoy a significant amount of communal reinforcement, they get very selective about the type of data they pay attention to in the future. If one believes that during a full moon there is an increase in accidents, one will notice when accidents occur during a full moon, but be inattentive to the moon when accidents occur at other times. If something strange happens and there is a full moon at the time, a causal connection will be assumed. If something strange happens and there is no full moon, no connection is made, but the event is not seen as counterevidence to the belief in full moon causality. Memories get selective, and perhaps even distorted, to favor a full moon hypothesis. A tendency to do this over time strengthens one's belief in the relationship between the full moon and a host of unrelated effects.

http://skepdic.com/fullmoon.html

Many believe in lunar myths because they have heard them repeated many times by members of the mass media, by police officers, nurses, doctors, social workers, and other people with influence. Once many people believe something and enjoy a significant amount of communal reinforcement, they get very selective about the type of data they pay attention to in the future. If one believes that during a full moon there is an increase in accidents, one will notice when accidents occur during a full moon, but be inattentive to the moon when accidents occur at other times. If something strange happens and there is a full moon at the time, a causal connection will be assumed. If something strange happens and there is no full moon, no connection is made, but the event is not seen as counterevidence to the belief in full moon causality. Memories get selective, and perhaps even distorted, to favor a full moon hypothesis. A tendency to do this over time strengthens one's belief in the relationship between the full moon and a host of unrelated effects.

A mate of mine is terrified of a full moon!

Trump has signed a 'bill' (I guess it's a bill) finding NASA for an eventual manned mission to Mars.
Not just a bill. A wonderful bill. The greatest bill in the world.

If one believes that during a full moon there is an increase in accidents, one will notice when accidents occur during a full moon, but be inattentive to the moon when accidents occur at other times.
Or possibly just ignore those accidents.

Last edited:
It's pointless discussing the facts on here anymore. No single unedited photo of earth, in its entirety exists. I can't wait for Space X to fly its first mission around the moon to show actual photographs (or even better, a live video feed) of the earth in outer orbit. The earth could well be a sphere, flat and on the back of a turtle, or shaped like a potato.
Found the edge yet?

Comes down to whether you believe a boffin sat in a lab/office crunching numbers or people on the front line.

Sounds like a geek justifying their own existence and selectively ignoring first hand evidence.

I really couldn't give a toss.. I'm not that interested TBH.

Last edited:

You mean like this 24/7 live feed of the International Space Station - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-iss-stream

Logon or register to see this image

Comes down to whether you believe a boffin sat in a lab/office crunching numbers or people on the front line.

Sounds like a geek justifying their own existence and selectively ignoring first hand evidence.

I really couldn't give a toss.. I'm not that interested TBH.

No, no, no, always crunch the real data, never rely on human perception which has been studied extensively and been shown time and again to be a terrible "witness" to the truth - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back