Name two underrated drummers (Not necessarily the best):

I agree he is one of the best drummers ever but wouldnt say underrated as he is one of the most famous ever really and has made millions from drumming with hundreds of other bands/solos
Agree ,prolific and rated
Cozy Powell is a legendary drummer, not underrated at all. Being dead for 23 years will often mean you slip from peoples minds though.
Cozy was always the name when even non drummers were talking drums
Ie Who does he think he is ?

Last edited:

John Bonham
Ginger Baker
he he
Aye cos these two are so under-rated I’m surprised anyone’s even heard of them. (Aye I saw the white text!)

Some good shouts in this thread - Sharrock, Buckler, Brzeziki, Zakk Starkey, Gaynor, Jansen, but not Charlie fuckin’ Watts - has to be the most boring un-creative dullard to get behind a kit with his boring 4-4 tapping - imagine what The Stones would have been like with someone with an ounce of creativity behind the kit. And I’m glad no-one has said Max fuckin Weinberg yet, he sounds like a toddler banging the pots and pans and biscuit tins. Dreadful.

Used to love watching Nigel Preston when The Cult were and actual cult band.

Also underrated cos the band were kinda cheesy but Phillip Gould from Level 42 was very creative.

Last edited:
Aye cos these two are so under-rated I’m surprised anyone’s even heard of them. (Aye I saw the white text!)

Some good shouts in this thread - Sharrock, Buckler, Brzeziki, Zakk Starkey, Gaynor, Jansen, but not Charlie fuckin’ Watts - has to be the most boring un-creative dullard to get behind a kit with his boring 4-4 tapping - imagine what The Stones would have been like with someone with an ounce of creativity behind the kit. And I’m glad no-one has said Max fuckin Weinberg yet, he sounds like a toddler banging the pots and pans and biscuit tins. Dreadful.

Also underrated cos the band were kinda cheesy but Phillip Gould from Level 42 was very creative.
Gould is a tremendous drummer

Aye cos these two are so under-rated I’m surprised anyone’s even heard of them. (Aye I saw the white text!) he he

Level 42 were (are?) fantastic live, I saw them on the early leg of the massive hit album World Machine tour, before they did a lot of power-ballads, it was the most bouncing audience I had seen (until thrash metal came along). They owe almost everything to Stanley Clarke's band, mind.

Level 42 were (are?) fantastic live, I saw them on the early leg of the massive hit album World Machine tour, before they did a lot of power-ballads, it was the most bouncing audience I had seen (until thrash metal came along). They owe almost everything to Stanley Clarke's band, mind.
Used to go to loads of gigs back then. When I lived in England but never did see Level 42. I think I have a video in me brother’s loft that I taped of their World Machine tour when Phil looks like Lofty off Eastenders!

Someone I forgot to mention in my previous post is John Blackwell who used to be in Cameo so I may have seen him in the few times I saw them live but I noticed him when he played with Prince on the ‘Musicology’ tour (2004) and he was absolutely brilliant.

Also I used to get to a few more mellow gigs when I lived in Houston - people like Rachelle Ferrell, George Benson, Anita Baker, Randy Crawford, Jill Scott, Maxwell, and they always seemed to have these amazing drummers who obviously came from a jazz background and play all over the kit with these amazing creative fills and timings but they don’t get noticed much as the drums are more in the background than in rock music.

Another shout - Manu Katche who plays with Sting and Gabriel. I heard an amusing story about when Gabriel got him in the studio (dunno what happened to Jerry Marotta his usual drummer) and they put down the drum track. Then Gabriel said he wanted Manu to do it again (PG is a perfectionist and I suppose was used to doing several takes and choosing the one he liked best). Manu just flat out refused. “I put my heart and soul into that take and you’re not gonna get anything better out of me!” I think guitarist David Rhodes said Marrotta was always on the beat and predictable but it was harder to play with Manu as he came from a Jazz background and just played what he felt like spontaneously so it was a different outcome every time!

Brian Downey - Thin Lizzy @Kingdom Bhoy - Excellent. (Superb Timing)
Bill Ward - Black Sabbath (Versatile)

Both above absolute class and made for their respective bands.
Not in the same league as Neil Peart (Rush) but at the top of their profession.
Brain Downey definitely, he has such a great swing and shuffle that no other drummer could replicate in Lizzy. I`d also add for the same reason Ian Paice of Deep Purple he has just a great groove.

Of the newer drummers Todd Sucherman of Styx and Brian Tichy who`s played with a fair few bands including Dead Daisies are always great to watch. Scott Rockenfield from Queensryche too.

They were a cracking live band. I only saw them once at some Uni gig.

I saw U2 at a uni gig too, just before they broke through. the only thing i remember was Bono climbing up on the lighting equipment

GREAT call. Loved Dreamtime and the Live at the Lyceum that came with the first copies. His drumming was great and had an almost tribal feel to it. Loved it.

GREAT call. Loved Dreamtime and the Live at the Lyceum that came with the first copies. His drumming was great and had an almost tribal feel to it. Loved it.
Yup. Them little fills in 83rd Dream, then just full-on artillery barrage on Horse Nation. Superb stuff. RIP.

I’ve seen The Cult countless times and the last several years they’ve had this fella in named John Tempesta. He’s alright but the drums are always so low in the live mix and he doesn’t even have a riser. I hung out outside a show once after it was over and got talking to him and a couple of the others in the band over a pint (Billy and Ian were off on a different bus). I asked him why he was so low in the mix and didn’t have a riser and he just shrugged and said that’s the way Ian wants it and I suppose they’re just hired guns so they have to like it or lump it.

Last edited:
Yup. Them little fills in 83rd Dream, then just full-on artillery barrage on Horse Nation. Superb stuff. RIP.
Loved the middle of Resurrection Joe, which is I think the last thing he did with them.
Phil Rudd
Alex van Halen
I never ever used to rate Phil Rudd, I thought he was so basic UNTIL, I saw him live and the way he locked in with Cliff Williams and Malcolm Young it just clicked with me. Sometimes simple is best and his groove in AC/DC is unmatchable.

Last edited:
Loved the middle of Resurrection Joe, which is I think the last thing he did with them.
That bootleg I sent you, Ian had to run upstairs before that song cos he’d left his whistle behind in the dressing room. “Yeah! get funky!” At the drum break he did this tribal dance banging two tambourines over his head. Another time I saw them NP was using a couple of Simmons pads that they swivelled around 180 degrees at that point and Ian banged about on them to add to the cacophony!

Albert Bouchard and Ringo

I'd also put Charlie Watts in there. He's a walking click track.
Great call. Love Albert`s playing and he sings too....not to mention comes out and plays guitar too
That bootleg I sent you, Ian had to run upstairs before that song cos he’d left his whistle behind in the dressing room. “Yeah! get funky!” At the drum break he did this tribal dance banging two tambourines over his head. Another time I saw them NP was using a couple of Simmons pads that they swivelled around 180 degrees at that point and Ian banged about on them to add to the cacophony!
I only saw them the once with Nigel Preston. I think the next time Les Warner was drumming for them on the Love tour.

Last edited:
I`ve just tried to PM you but your Inbox is full !!

Have seen Budgie a few times recently with John Grant and I reckon it's the only time I've watched the drummer closely, I was mesmerised
That period with McGeoch on guitar and Budgie on drums was brilliant - they were the best live band I saw in that era and I saw most around at the the time - although I’d confess to watching McGeoch more and wondering how the fk he made it look so effortless

Back