Nackered laptop

I run both and to be honest I don't see the difference but amd seem to cost a bit less.you could always do a comparison to see what the difference is in test scores.

That laptop would be fine for the price, not sure what people are expecting in the reviews. One says loud fan? Well laptops get very hot so a fan is needed. Another says not good enough , not good enough for what? Well 4k ultra settings it obviously won't do.

I'd always get the best processor and GPU you can as they can't be replaced, hard disk and ram can easily be upgraded

Assuming its just your OS that's broken, I really wouldn't bother throwing a grand at a new one. 2070 to 4060 is a minor upgrade, and you'd probably end up with a 12/13th gen i5 vs your 10th gen i7, again, marginal upgrade. Plus, 4060 has 8GB VRAM IIRC, which is a bit of a worry these days. I think your 2070 has the same - so again, hardly a meaningful upgrade other than DLSS, which is actually really good.

Get your data backed up - that Ubuntu Live USB stick is a great idea, as it'll also be a bloody good indicator if the laptop has a hardware issue. You could even run 3dmark, prime, furmark etc on that to check the hardware out. AND it will let you connect a USB stic / portable hard drive to the machine at the same time to back up all your data.

Assuming its all ok, then just download your licenced windows version from here - Create installation media for Windows - Microsoft Support and stick a fresh install on ** OR ** there's probably a recovery system built into your laptop, so look up the instructions and activate that.

Assuming its just your OS that's broken, I really wouldn't bother throwing a grand at a new one. 2070 to 4060 is a minor upgrade, and you'd probably end up with a 12/13th gen i5 vs your 10th gen i7, again, marginal upgrade. Plus, 4060 has 8GB VRAM IIRC, which is a bit of a worry these days. I think your 2070 has the same - so again, hardly a meaningful upgrade other than DLSS, which is actually really good.

Get your data backed up - that Ubuntu Live USB stick is a great idea, as it'll also be a bloody good indicator if the laptop has a hardware issue. You could even run 3dmark, prime, furmark etc on that to check the hardware out. AND it will let you connect a USB stic / portable hard drive to the machine at the same time to back up all your data.

Assuming its all ok, then just download your licenced windows version from here - Create installation media for Windows - Microsoft Support and stick a fresh install on ** OR ** there's probably a recovery system built into your laptop, so look up the instructions and activate that.
Aye I'm only looking at replacing if I can't fix this. If I can fix it I'll start putting some extra money away to get something better.
I run both and to be honest I don't see the difference but amd seem to cost a bit less.you could always do a comparison to see what the difference is in test scores.

That laptop would be fine for the price, not sure what people are expecting in the reviews. One says loud fan? Well laptops get very hot so a fan is needed. Another says not good enough , not good enough for what? Well 4k ultra settings it obviously won't do.

I'd always get the best processor and GPU you can as they can't be replaced, hard disk and ram can easily be upgraded
I've got the hard drive out but I've lost
There's a few ways you could do that if you can't get it to boot.

First is the easiest, hopefully you logged in the laptop with a Microsoft account and the photos are backed up on your OneDrive. Just get the OneDrive app on your phone and have a look.

Failing that you could download an os like Ubuntu which can be put on a USB and booted from there, once booted in theory you should be able to see your drive and grab stuff off. You'd need a other working computer to do that.

Last if you hard drive (most likely will be a nvme card) is easily removable then you can pull it out and buy a usb reader. You'd also need another working computer for that

Looks like a grand would get you a 4060, which I suppose is low to mid level. Will still play anything just 1080/1440 and not the highest settings. Something like

I've got the hard drive out but it's an M2 drive and typically the caddy I have is an NVME one so I've had to order another one. Hope I can atleast get the data off it after this faff on.

Last edited:
Aye I'm only looking at replacing if I can't fix this. If I can fix it I'll start putting some extra money away to get something better.
I've got the hard drive out but I've lost
I've got the hard drive out but it's an M2 drive and typically the caddy I have is an NVME one so I've had to order another one. Hope I can atleast get the data off it after this faff on.
Its worth building the windows media tool tbh, you can even try to repair your existing windows install from it

I've done that on a USB. The repair didn't work unfortunately.
I have seen black screens of doom before, but it is also a sign that when the GPU tries to kick into "proper" mode, it fails entirely.
yeah, just get the data backed up first, then go for the reinstall

I have seen black screens of doom before, but it is also a sign that when the GPU tries to kick into "proper" mode, it fails entirely.
I think that a possibility to be honest as it runs so hot at times it's possibly just burnt out. I must be stricter with myself using my cooling mat if I get another.
I've managed to get what I need off the hard drive so good chance its the GPU or something else. Going to try to reinstall windows tomorrow but I'm not hopeful. Atleast ive got the unbacked up photos though.
If you can boot in safe mode, surely you can copy the photos over? Or is safe mode more limited these days?
It booted into safe mode initially but when I tried to do it again it wouldn't

Last edited:
Seems it is the GPU that's gone. I've reinstalled windows but once I install the drivers for the GPU I'm back to the same issue. Gutted.

Seems it is the GPU that's gone. I've reinstalled windows but once I install the drivers for the GPU I'm back to the same issue. Gutted.
Does it work fine for general office/general stuff until that point?

Try a really old version of the GPU drivers. Its worth a shot.

Last edited:

Back