Nackered laptop

My laptop won't boot up. I'm not getting an error message the screen just goes black instead of opening the log in screen. What are the most common things I should try?

My laptop won't boot up. I'm not getting an error message the screen just goes black instead of opening the log in screen. What are the most common things I should try?
you tried spamming f4 when you start the computer to try to get to the safe mode screen?

you tried spamming f4 when you start the computer to try to get to the safe mode screen?
It will let me boot up in safe mode mate. I have tried disabling all the software that automatically starts when windows does but that hasn't worked.
Goes black?
Is it not black to start with? What's the last thing you see?
It's an Acer Predator laptop. When I turn it on it shows the Acer logo as normal then goes black instead of loading up the login screen.
Does it make any noises? Can you hear the moving parts inside? Or is it completely dead?
Fans etc are still spinning.

Last edited:
How old is the machine?

I had this with an hp sleek book a while back, even after a fresh W10 reinstall it would not boot from ssd.

This machine was not suitable for W11.

Ended up installing Pop OS with KDE Desktop which runs beautifully.

It will let me boot up in safe mode mate. I have tried disabling all the software that automatically starts when windows does but that hasn't worked.

It's an Acer Predator laptop. When I turn it on it shows the Acer logo as normal then goes black instead of loading up the login screen.

Fans etc are still spinning.
OK. So looks like it's got power and trying to boot.
The logo will be shown while bios loads and then tries to load windows.

You should be able to get into the bios screen by holding a certain button just after you power it on.
Try the usual del, f1, f12 ones or Google the correct one for your laptop.

Once you get in, look to see if there's a hard disk detected as a starting point.

You should be able to get into the bios screen by holding a certain button just after you power it on.

Once you get in, look to see if there's a hard disk detected as a starting point.
Screenshot of my bios mate.

Logon or register to see this image

If it's let him boot up in safe mode then it's definitely seeing the hard drive. Probably just needs to reinstall windows.

If you've got nowt that needs saving I would reinstall windows or at least boot up and do a repair. If you are stuck and you live in Sunderland just giz a pm and I'll sort it

If you've got nowt that needs saving I would reinstall windows or at least boot up and do a repair. If you are stuck and you live in Sunderland just giz a pm and I'll sort it
I need to try and get some unbacked up photos off it then I'll try a reinstall.

Been eyeing up replacements as well like so any recommendations for gaming laptops for a grand at the most are welcome. I realise I won't get anything great for that money like.

I need to try and get some unbacked up photos off it then I'll try a reinstall.

Been eyeing up replacements as well like so any recommendations for gaming laptops for a grand at the most are welcome. I realise I won't get anything great for that money like.
There's a few ways you could do that if you can't get it to boot.

First is the easiest, hopefully you logged in the laptop with a Microsoft account and the photos are backed up on your OneDrive. Just get the OneDrive app on your phone and have a look.

Failing that you could download an os like Ubuntu which can be put on a USB and booted from there, once booted in theory you should be able to see your drive and grab stuff off. You'd need a other working computer to do that.

Last if you hard drive (most likely will be a nvme card) is easily removable then you can pull it out and buy a usb reader. You'd also need another working computer for that

Looks like a grand would get you a 4060, which I suppose is low to mid level. Will still play anything just 1080/1440 and not the highest settings. Something like

Last edited:
There's a few ways you could do that if you can't get it to boot.

First is the easiest, hopefully you logged in the laptop with a Microsoft account and the photos are backed up on your OneDrive. Just get the OneDrive app on your phone and have a look.

Failing that you could download an os like Ubuntu which can be put on a USB and booted from there, once booted in theory you should be able to see your drive and grab stuff off. You'd need a other working computer to do that.

Last if you hard drive (most likely will be a nvme card) is easily removable then you can pull it out and buy a usb reader. You'd also need another working computer for that

Looks like a grand would get you a 4060, which I suppose is low to mid level. Will still play anything just 1080/1440 and not the highest settings. Something like

Our lass has a laptop and I have a usb reader. Misplaced my little screwdriver kit so waiting on one being delivered today. I saw that laptop when browsing. Would you recommend AMD processors over intel?

I was looking at this but it has mixed reviews.

Back