Myfitness pal miscalculations on food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone scan foods and feel the calories cant be right?

My example is in Asda there are these Calzone's, get them from where they sell freshly made pizzas etc. Scanned it last night and said it was 471 calories, I came in my pants and ate it immediately! However is this too good to be true? Does myfitness pal give wrong readings now and then?

My example is in Asda there are these Calzone's, get them from where they sell freshly made pizzas etc. Scanned it last night and said it was 471 calories, I came in my pants and ate it immediately! However is this too good to be true? Does myfitness pal give wrong readings now and then?

What does it say on the label?

You can update/verify the MFP nutritional value, there are usually a few different suggestions and recipes and ingredients can change over time.

Proabably 471 calories in half of it tbh :lol:

It's always worth checking the macros/cals of what you buy if it's a staple in your diet. Sometimes certain companies use the same bar codes, but on a different product. I've scanned tesco milk before and had it show up as an asda one (full fat aswell)

Also anyone can edit the MFP database.

Another thing to look out for, sometimes there are entries which will say for example

Pizza 600 cals, but they don't fill in the macros. so although your cals fill up it bollocks up all your macros. I believe now though there are verified foods, which are best to stick to.

Always best to check though.

If something looks to good to be true... most likely it is :lol::p

That's as close as you can get without doing bomb calorimetry on a sample of every meal you eat and adjusting for indigestible fraction :lol:

That's what I do to ensure I hit exactly 3,748kcal per day.

But honestly, unless I've misunderstood, you could verify the MFP entry against the label? :lol:

What does it say on the label?

You can update/verify the MFP nutritional value, there are usually a few different suggestions and recipes and ingredients can change over time.
Things which are made/acquired fresh just have barcodes and no nutritional information. So things like fish, pizzas etc already packaged just has barcode, I wouldn't have needed to ask this question otherwise. (Don't mean to sound arsey with that last sentence, written word looks harsher than what I mean :lol:)

It'll be closer to 1500 calories than 471.

Things which are made/acquired fresh just have barcodes and no nutritional information. So things like fish, pizzas etc already packaged just has barcode, I wouldn't have needed to ask this question otherwise. (Don't mean to sound arsey with that last sentence, written word looks harsher than what I mean :lol:)

No probs mate :lol: do they make it as you watch? You could guesstimate the quantities or like I said before, avoid stuff like that anyway and get some veg and lean meat/fish instead.

There should be entries for the fresh fish already on MFP, remember that it's an approximation of calorific content so be over cautious and stick to decent food for the vast majority of intake.

No probs mate :lol: do they make it as you watch? You could guesstimate the quantities or like I said before, avoid stuff like that anyway and get some veg and lean meat/fish instead.

There should be entries for the fresh fish already on MFP, remember that it's an approximation of calorific content so be over cautious and stick to decent food for the vast majority of intake.
They make it fresh each day but not in front of you. I think I'm just going to avoid this kind of food altogether in future :lol:
The fish barcodes asda have seem canny accurate mind.

Depends on the toppings too and how fat the server is. The fattest ones always give you more.

They think about how much they'd like to eat themselves, so a fatty put loads on as that's normal to them.

I always try to get the fatty to serve me.

I don't go to big supermarkets only the local Tesco for Fage yoghurt, occasionally cooked chicken, bags of veg to microwave, muesli, fruit if the local stall has gone AWOL etc.

If I wanted a pizza I'd go to a proper pizza shop or make my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back