BBC Multiple arrests at Wear Tyne derby

Why would they be lifted for that? It was outside of the Stadium so surely wouldn't be covered by those regulations.

I saw one go off near the Colliery Tavern, also in a crowd of people. They weren't lifted and plenty of coppers were there.
Not sure. 2 x coppers walked into the crowd looking for the individuals. Got the one closest to the edge and carried on through looking for the other.

Not sure. 2 x coppers walked into the crowd looking for the individuals. Got the one closest to the edge and carried on through looking for the other.
Although now having had a look online, the new law states you can't carry pyro if you're on your way to a football match. So it's no longer exclusive to inside the ground or trying to enter.

So I presume with him being right outside the ground it was presumed he was going to the match. Doesn't explain why the person at The Colliery Tavern was treated the same as the same assumption could have been made.

To be fair from being in the town and then walking over and in, it seemed to be the easiest day going for the cops in sheepfolds and in town. Nowt happening at all

The supposed "friendly" in Aug 81 was one of the worst. Under 11000 attended, but 80+ arrests, woman pc attacked and problems from midday to 5pm.

I was there, mags got there early & were attacking any Sunderland heading to Roker Park, there were loads who turned back heading the wrong way over the bridge, we had a loose 'group up' and managed to get there with help of police pushing the mags back with their horses. Worst trouble I've ever witnessed at Sunderland.

Back