BBC Mowbray 'understands' Sunderland sacking

For a man who has dodged about as assistant manager around Belgium because he had no coaching licenses, twice been put in charge of Belgian clubs without the correct qualifications, once costing his parent club thousands in fines, and has never won fuck all.
If he'd been appointed that would have been a wilder gamble than the bloke we ended up with, but that's only my opinion. I prefer proven football "managers", preferably not with a Belgian league basis.

If he'd been appointed that would have been a wilder gamble than the bloke we ended up with, but that's only my opinion. I prefer proven football "managers", preferably not with a Belgian league basis.
Being honest mate, imo the choice between Beale or Still is like like asking whether you prefer dog shit or cat shit.
Or we could have put some faith in a man who got us to the play offs.

Beggars belief marra.

Says a lot about mowbray not to be bitter about it, of course he had his faults but he overachieved with an incomplete team here.
What he managed here with the squad he was handling was superb, but eventually there comes a point where a person thinks I'm left with what I have and I can't take it further.
Being honest mate, imo the choice between Beale or Still is like like asking whether you prefer dog shit or cat shit.
Or we could have put some faith in a man who got us to the play offs.

Beggars belief marra.
Living in the sales aisle of a cheap supermarket, "oh no forwards this week again". It does make me wonder.

Last edited:
He realised our model is a shitshow early doors, tried to change things, realised the model is staying no matter what he says, so arranged his exit.
Whoever is in charge of this “ model” team is on a hiding to nothing. It’s the likes of TM and MB who take the flak when KS plays his games and fails to deliver.
As long as we continue with this ridiculous model we will not progress.
KLD allows it, KS implements it, the coach can’t succeed and faces the fans fury.
It’s time it stopped.

He realised our model is a shitshow early doors, tried to change things, realised the model is staying no matter what he says, so arranged his exit.
Whoever is in charge of this “ model” team is on a hiding to nothing. It’s the likes of TM and MB who take the flak when KS plays his games and fails to deliver.
KLD allows it, KS implements it, the coach can’t succeed and faces the fans fury.
It’s time it stopped.
This profile (model) has distinct shortcomings if a club wants to develop & succeed

What he managed here with the squad he was handling was superb, but eventually there comes a point where a person thinks I'm left with what I have and I can't take it further.

Living in the sales aisle of a cheap supermarket, "oh no forwards this week again". It does make me wonder.
Had high hopes of KLD but I genuinely think he is a european version of a young Del Boy.

Smoke and mirrors with the never ending promise of success......that never comes.

Never mind, we'll still be here long after he's fucked off, and the next chancer comes in his place.🤣

Had high hopes of KLD but I genuinely think he is a european version of a young Del Boy.

Smoke and mirrors with the never ending promise of success......that never comes.

Never mind, we'll still be here long after he's fucked off, and the next chancer comes in his place.🤣
Your middle line was my posted phrase about how the club was being run, i.e. talk a good game but don't back up what you say with money...oh and if you release any give it to a (cheap) clown of a manager/head coach.

I have a lot of time for your opinions on here mate, however I have to take issue with this.

The decision to sack a man who had proved he could get us to the play offs the previous season, was the correct decision?

The relationship hadn't "soured" marra, we just had a blip, the same as the previous season.

But we came out of it then, and although I don't have a crystal ball to predict what would havd happened if he'd stayed, history shows he got over that blip, and got us into the play offs.

We had a man who has developed some kids in to more than capable Championship players, and a team that was capable of playing very attractive and winning football.

But no. Chance to get rid of the dissenter, lets bin him, without the slightest f***ing idea of how to move on.

And we get The Loser, The Failure.
The Cheap One.

Farcical marra.

Not a f***ing hope in hell marra.

If he gets the next 14 games, as he probably will, we are mid table at best mate.

We are currently 6 points above 12th in this league.

Nowt he has done so far persuades me that we will be 6 points above 12th at the end of the season marra.

Our hopes this season have gone.

You say the relationship hadn't soured, but a straw poll on here and half the fans wanted him out. For a man who seemed almost universally popular and like an uncle/grandad figure, that paints a slightly different picture to me.

I didn't want him gone, however in the meldrew I wrote the weekend before he was sacked, I said I'd give him until Christmas and then re-assess. The tide was turning.

It’s time it stopped.

There is a stubbornness there. Alex Neil was clearly frustrated with it too. They seem to go too heavily on youth when a better balance should be struck.

You say the relationship hadn't soured, but a straw poll on here and half the fans wanted him out. For a man who seemed almost universally popular and like an uncle/grandad figure, that paints a slightly different picture to me.

I didn't want him gone, however in the meldrew I wrote the weekend before he was sacked, I said I'd give him until Christmas and then re-assess. The tide was turning.
His hands were tied having to get a tune out of a two stringed banjo.
Ffs give the coach the right to play football and recruit as he sees fit not how he is told to play football by this novice Speakman.
Speakman will ruin our club. Get rid of him ffs.
We all saw how bad Bellingham was last game. He will start this game no matter what. It stinks.

His hands were tied having to get a tune out of a two stringed banjo.
Ffs give the coach the right to play football and recruit as he sees fit not how he is told to play football by this novice Speakman.
Speakman will ruin our club. Get rid of him ffs.
We all saw how bad Bellingham was last game. He will start this game no matter what. It stinks.

I'm not suggesting his hands weren't tied, it seems pretty clear that any head coach (because that's what they are in our setup, not managers) will have to understand that his role is quite specific and doesn't necessarily involve having a big say on who we bring in. It's their job to get the best out of the players at his disposal.

Beale's comfortable with this as he's a coach, Mowbray probably less so as he is a more experienced manager who probably got fed up with having his hands tied.

As you well know marra, opinions on here aren't always representative.

They give an overview, but from quite a small section of the support, and also from a generally younger demographic (Me excluded😅).

I do think, as @Zidane went on to say, that the relationship between him and the heirarchy was souring, but it had not reached that point with the majority of ticket buying fans.

But I might be wro.............no cant say the word🤣🤣🤣

As you well know marra, opinions on here aren't always representative.

They give an overview, but from quite a small section of the support, and also from a generally younger demographic (Me excluded😅).

I do think, as @Zidane went on to say, that the relationship between him and the heirarchy was souring, but it had not reached that point with the majority of ticket buying fans.

But I might be wro.............no cant say the word🤣🤣🤣

I thought it was early, but I also thought it was coming. You've also got to factor in that Mowbray was well liked partly because of his character and personality, which might have clouded people's judgements and painted him in a better light.

In many ways the opposite to what Beale seems to be.

I thought it was early, but I also thought it was coming. You've also got to factor in that Mowbray was well liked partly because of his character and personality, which might have clouded people's judgements and painted him in a better light.

In many ways the opposite to what Beale seems to be.
No doubt about Mowbray being a genuine and affable man mate. One of the things that won me over, as I was sceptical when he was appointed.
But what he showed was that with a bit of flexibility in "The Model", whatever the fuck that is, is that relative success can be achieved.
He needed time and security, and it strikes me that this lot in charge are f***ing shitting themselves in case success comes to quickly.
None of which give much succor to people being asked to shell out again for season cards to watch the shite currently on offer, knowing the ownership have no ambition outside of "The Model".

I think I would use the term soured as his relationship with the club hierarchy soured over the model and the types of signings. Its clear his frustration was spilling out into his press conferences and post match interviews.

I'm not a huge fan of the model to be honest but if you lead an organisation and a key public member of the management team starts criticising the strategy then they are going to inevitability leave one way or another.

He wasnt showing any signs of getting over the blip as for 9 games he just set us up exactly the same over and over and we got progressively more found out on the pitch.

So put the two together and a parting of ways was not the worst decision in my opinion
It was clear from TM's later press conferences that he was not happy, as he had his head down, wouldn't look at the camera. A far cry from last season and the beginning of this. His comments after Millwall, which suggested he had his hands tied in picking the team were not really dissenting, but he was trying to tell the fans where the blame lay for the drop-off from last season, and the hierarchy didn't like that exposure, so he was gone! Luckily for him, they ended his tenure, so he got a pay-off, but he was clearly "sick of his life" as the fans began to complain about the way things were going - he just needed us to know that it wasn't really down to him. And we haven't got over the blip since he left - results and performances have remained at a disappointing level compared with last year.

Let's not forget TM over-achieved last season with the squad we had (especially with all the injuries), while playing some amazing football. But we did have Amad! Not adequately replacing him (and Stewart) completely shifted his capacity to keep the team playing well. He was happy enough to develop youngsters last year while he had talent available to help, but received no decent additions this season - just journeymen at best! Without Amad, even Roberts has reverted to being the "almost good enough" player he has been throughout his career. We lost Stewart and Simms and didn't replace them, yet TM fashioned a team that could still win without them, but got nothing of any use to replace them in the summer (I'd argue that even Gelhardt was actually more use than any of the 4 new strikers have been!). And the injuries have continued to mount.

Beale has already hinted in some of his pronouncements that he feels his hands are tied (eg "I don’t think we are going to blow anyone away. We don’t score enough goals to blow teams away"). If results continue to be average at best and the fans' complaints get louder, he will do the same as Mowbray and shift the blame (to where it rightly belongs) - and that will be the end of him!

Can we just not hear the truth from someone please?

Mowbray and Beale both took the head coach job knowing what the score was with the so called ‘model’ yet both have made clear, if veiled, criticisms of it.

A strong head coach wouldn’t put up with a situation he didn’t agree with and maybe we aren’t getting strong individuals wanting the job because of this? Maybe the people responsible for the decision making are scared/wary of people who will question them and want more of a say in policy and recruitment?

We can’t keep appointing yes men.

Back