BBC Mowbray 'understands' Sunderland sacking

He was never their long term man. Last season was all about staying up and stability was key after Neil left. They wanted to move him on in the summer but fan opinion was firmly behind him. First time fan opinion wavered a bit, they acted. Now I’m not saying the fans got him sacked, but the fans were far more accepting of it than if it had been done in June I would strongly suggest. And a big part of that was the 2 in 9 and repetitive results
Are you suggesting they didn't sack him because of the fans reaction?

Our owner and sporting director are that thin skinned they didn't act because a few fans might have said bad words at them.

God help them if that's the case

Did a fantastic job for us, but it soured. Thats football.

The decision to sack him was the correct one. It was sorting the replacement that turned out to be problematic.

The Board probably thought we would be an attractive proposition across Europe. Turned out we weren't.

Sunderland could be a manager's graveyard if flexibilty in recruitment doesnt improve......not sure how many 'set employed managers' would come knowing that they have to work under the conditions of the model....its a big gamble knowing you will get no say in buys or have your own backroom staff.

I think that's why we're more likely to look towards highly regarded coaches as opposed to all out managers.

If Sunderland fans want a 'name' under the current people running the club then they'll probably be left disappointed.

Did a fantastic job for us, but it soured. Thats football.

The decision to sack him was the correct one. It was sorting the replacement that turned out to be problematic.

The Board probably thought we would be an attractive proposition across Europe. Turned out we weren't.
I have a lot of time for your opinions on here mate, however I have to take issue with this.

The decision to sack a man who had proved he could get us to the play offs the previous season, was the correct decision?

The relationship hadn't "soured" marra, we just had a blip, the same as the previous season.

But we came out of it then, and although I don't have a crystal ball to predict what would havd happened if he'd stayed, history shows he got over that blip, and got us into the play offs.

We had a man who has developed some kids in to more than capable Championship players, and a team that was capable of playing very attractive and winning football.

But no. Chance to get rid of the dissenter, lets bin him, without the slightest f***ing idea of how to move on.

And we get The Loser, The Failure.
The Cheap One.

Farcical marra.
No, hence why I said Beale has 14 games to make his point, in other words make the playoffs or at least give us belief he can next season.
Not a f***ing hope in hell marra.

If he gets the next 14 games, as he probably will, we are mid table at best mate.

We are currently 6 points above 12th in this league.

Nowt he has done so far persuades me that we will be 6 points above 12th at the end of the season marra.

Our hopes this season have gone.

Last edited:
I have a lot of time for your opinions on here mate, however I have to take issue with this.

The decision to sack a man who had proved he could get us to the play offs the previous season, was the correct decision?

The relationship hadn't "soured" marra, we just had a blip, the same as the previous season.

But we came out of it then, and although I don't have a crystal ball to predict what would havd happened if he'd stayed, history shows he got over that blip, and got us into the play offs.

We had a man who has developed some kids in to more than capable Championship players, and a team that was capable of playing very attractive and winning football.

But no. Chance to get rid of the dissenter, lets bin him, without the slightest f***ing idea of how to move on.

And we get The Loser, The Failure.
The Cheap One.

Farcical marra.

I think I would use the term soured as his relationship with the club hierarchy soured over the model and the types of signings. Its clear his frustration was spilling out into his press conferences and post match interviews.

I'm not a huge fan of the model to be honest but if you lead an organisation and a key public member of the management team starts criticising the strategy then they are going to inevitability leave one way or another.

He wasnt showing any signs of getting over the blip as for 9 games he just set us up exactly the same over and over and we got progressively more found out on the pitch.

So put the two together and a parting of ways was not the worst decision in my opinion

I think I would use the term soured as his relationship with the club hierarchy soured over the model and the types of signings. Its clear his frustration was spilling out into his press conferences and post match interviews.

I'm not a huge fan of the model to be honest but if you lead an organisation and a key public member of the management team starts criticising the strategy then they are going to inevitability leave one way or another.

He wasnt showing any signs of getting over the blip as for 9 games he just set us up exactly the same over and over and we got progressively more found out on the pitch.

So put the two together and a parting of ways was not the worst decision in my opinion
Maybe your last point has some weight marra.

I'm just of the mind that when you have proof of success with a manager, a bit of patience and belief in him tends to pay dividends.

Trigger fingers generally create few or no long term benefits as many a club can testify, including ours mate.

Are you suggesting they didn't sack him because of the fans reaction?

Our owner and sporting director are that thin skinned they didn't act because a few fans might have said bad words at them.

God help them if that's the case
Hahaha. Imagine the uproar if he’d gone in June

What did he say, the night before the Ipswich game?

I tried to find the thread but couldn't, he was just suggesting that how we run isn't the way he wants, drawing lines in the sand and ladened it with stuff to get fans on his side. Thought it was really off, especially considering the timing.

"The model is what it is". He still think its shite but is displaying expected decorum. Good ol Mowbsy.
The bloke's a true gent.
I didn't want him to go either and put his not so good record in the end down to his frustration. I think he'd had enough.
My thoughts also, restrictions caused frustration. So he decided that was it.

Last edited:
Didn’t fancy paying £7m compo by all accounts.
For a man who has dodged about as assistant manager around Belgium because he had no coaching licenses, twice been put in charge of Belgian clubs without the correct qualifications, once costing his parent club thousands in fines, and has never won fuck all.

Good call in my book.

Back