Moving to the US?

That's all well and good but no every average Joe is that lucky/hard working/capable of such things. They are the people I'm referring to. Of which I'd guess they are in their millions.
in america its way easier to go from zero to hero than it is in this country. in my experience, quality of life in the UK is fine so long as you stay in your lane. in the US, the mentality is to always be striving for more, and it's a lot easier for an every day person to suddenly clear 6 figures.

then again, i do acknowledge that i am a white male and i'm sure it may not be as easy for other people.

I think you might be misunderstanding the word average here.
Google the term average Joe.
Median income in USA (2019) was $31,133 which is £22,400.

So 50% of the workforce have incomes less than £22.4k.

Doesn't seem so great.
Agreed Harry. A lot of people don't have the drive/capability/opportunity to make it and for those people it'll be one long struggle without the gamble of avoiding serious health issues.

Last edited:
Always dreamed of maybe living in the States one day when I was younger on the back of being very lucky to have had some amazing family holidays there when I was a teenager, but the older I get the less it has appealed. I still love the place to visit, my last two holidays abroad have been there, but I’m not sure I would be cut out for the (what it seems like to me anyway) workaholic lifestyle needed in order to do well over there.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a hard worker and this last year I’ve put in some serious hours beyond the call of duty at times, but luckily the place I work gives me any extra time I work back that I can use as extra holidays or early finishes. But generally speaking unless there’s a need for me to go beyond the call of duty and work longer, I work hard during my standard weekly required hours but come finishing up time that’s me done and I won’t think about work again until the next morning or Monday morning after a weekend. My dad worked for a US based company but over here for 40 odd years so I witnessed through him while growing up the working culture at times and especially that of the Yanks within the company who came to live over here. I think I value my time as much as, if not more than, I do the money. However if chasing big money is what you want I can imagine it being a good place.

Last edited:
I'm talking about employed people. If you do per capita that includes unemployed people.
You can have whatever definition you like.
average net worth is probably a better gauge, which from this article seems fairly high

Median is a much better gauge. You can see the massive difference in your link.

Last edited:
Is your Median salary per capita across the population Harry?
It isn't my median salary. It is google's median income. I assume it is people of working age. So the person bang in the middle.

To be fair I've google again and there are a fair few numbers bandied about.

It looks like 53% of household have income less tahn $75k and 37% less than $50k

I looked and average salary in Tyne and wear was £27k.

I will take all these figures with a pinch of salt.
median salary of employed people as opposed to median salary of entire population?
Not sure. I wish I'd never googled :lol: :lol:

When people say average salary it is always skewed higher because of the top earners.

Last edited:

Back