Moving to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved to Canada close to 20 years ago and can tell you that you'll need a shed load of funds available to you if you are planning such a move. Any credit history you have in the UK will disappear and you have to start from zero. If it's anything like Canada they'll give you a social insurance number that reflects that you are on a work permit. Try getting credit and the first reaction is to bring out the crosses and the garlic to ward you off, so initially it will have to be "if i can't afford to pay for it in full I don't buy it".

The path to permanent residency and citizenship will be full of additional costs and some effort (for that you can thank all of those who gamed the system in previous years who added costly steps to avoid fraud seen previously.

I'm a member of an number of immigration forums and I'm seeing a lot of people who I would class as "immigration butterflies" looking to leave Oz for Canada, this would indicate that it's not that easy to settle there and they are looking for somewhere else for the better life.
My sister and her partner are going through PR as we speak. She had exactly the same experiences as you in Ontario the first couple of years - having to buy a car for cash as no credit available etc - they're just about to buy a house (once PR sorted) and the 20% deposit that is required is eye-watering )not mention all the other fees).

Agree with this.......... and New Zealand is also mega expensive now.

Considering that OZ has just endured major bush fires and temperatures reaching 40 degrees and NZ has regular earthquakes it may be better taking you chances in Sunderland...
At least there’s nee snakes in New Zealand or poisonous spiders.

I know more people who have come back from Australia than stayed out there, and I don't blame them from what I've seen of the country.

I've been in Brisbane for about 6 months now. It's definitely expensive to make the move. We had our visas and removals paid for, and we still ended up out of pocket. We were lucky to get permanent residency within a month of moving over (not sure how that worked), but I've heard it can be an expensive and sometimes complicated arse on.

I think life here is good. I've got a young daughter, and there's a lot of outdoor space for her, more than we had in the UK. The weather is usually pleasant, and there's lots to do. In terms of work, I'm earning about 60% more than I did in my previous job for what is ostensibly a sideways move. At the same time, the big issue is obviously distance from family and friends. I've met good people here, but I'm not convinced I'll make ties as strong as the ones I have at home. Don't know whether we'll stay out here long term or not.

Just in the early stages of the process, for a country screaming out for people to move there they certainly want to screw some money out of you. Pity we dont do the same to the fuckers who come over here

What is the situation with the Dog?
Does he have to go into quarantine?
A life without Sunderland that would be a defining issue for me in my position with Swindon. Mind you I am a sad bastard.

What is the situation with the Dog?
Does he have to go into quarantine?
A life without Sunderland that would be a defining issue for me in my position with Swindon. Mind you I am a sad bastard.

I have 2 dogs, its going to cost around £8k to get them in. They will only be quarantined for 10 days if they have all of the ani rabies treatment (even though we dont have rabies in this country!)
What’s the reason for moving out there mate ? There’s normally something like redundancy that triggers such a move .
Dint blame any young ones for trying it , it’s easy to come back if doesn’t work out

good luck to the OP

Fletch, just sick to death of the weather here, its not like yo can even gaurantee any decent weather during the summer!

I have 2 pensions coming in, no debt and I think in general it would be a much better lifestyle

I have 2 dogs, its going to cost around £8k to get them in. They will only be quarantined for 10 days if they have all of the ani rabies treatment (even though we dont have rabies in this country!)

Fletch, just sick to death of the weather here, its not like yo can even gaurantee any decent weather during the summer!

I have 2 pensions coming in, no debt and I think in general it would be a much better lifestyle
Lifestyle is awesome. No doubt about that. Just being confident you can plan to do shit outdoors is great. There's a few times where the heat is too much but in general it's class.

Make sure though you check your living costs. If your pensions are UK based the money will not exchange well to Aussie $.

If you are earning locally it's OK as pay is in line with living costs. But the £ does not go far at all.

You will be pacing up and down for those days Mate.
Didn’t realise you had two. Did you get another breed?
My Mrs keeps on going on about getting a Border Terrier for the Lab as Company and I keep saying no. She works from home which does make it possible.
My lads though do fuck all when it comes to walking the dog etc - surprise, surprise.

Lifestyle is awesome. No doubt about that. Just being confident you can plan to do shit outdoors is great. There's a few times where the heat is too much but in general it's class.

Make sure though you check your living costs. If your pensions are UK based the money will not exchange well to Aussie $.

If you are earning locally it's OK as pay is in line with living costs. But the £ does not go far at all.

Our lass will be working :) I prefer fishing, walking dogs and drinking beer :) :)

My Mrs keeps on going on about getting a Border Terrier for the Lab as Company and I keep saying no. She works from home which does make it possible.
My lads though do fuck all when it comes to walking the dog etc - surprise, surprise.

We got a Lurcher puppy, I was expecting this bloody big hairy thing, its a whippet cross terrier, lovely nature, scared of her own shadow and there obviously isnt much room in a whippets head for a brain :)

We got a Lurcher puppy, I was expecting this bloody big hairy thing, its a whippet cross terrier, lovely nature, scared of her own shadow and there obviously isnt much room in a whippets head for a brain :)

:eek: friggin hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back