Moving to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you know we don’t?

I now know we do, look back a page
Aye probably about right. Majority who move to Aus do so when young and either single or certainly without kids. Then once kids come along then people look to move home to family. I reckon more than three quarters of the English/Irish friends I made out there have moved back home. We all had kids around the same time and there was just a mass exodus.

@Wayne The Punk did your lass find a job or are you going for the independent skilled visa?

Piggybacking on our lass

Last edited:
Whereabouts? You get back at all?
Cabramatta, out to the west of Sydney. Lived there from 2 to 9 years old. We came back to the UK as my two older brothers were getting to an age where they may have been called up for the Vietnam war. I have never had the opportunity to go back although I have relatives still out there and may go visit when I retire in a few years time.

Agree with this.......... and New Zealand is also mega expensive now.

Considering that OZ has just endured major bush fires and temperatures reaching 40 degrees and NZ has regular earthquakes it may be better taking you chances in Sunderland...
theres a good chance the sunlit uplands will "unleash" a fair few bush fires arnal,iceland might be the better option.

I moved to Canada close to 20 years ago and can tell you that you'll need a shed load of funds available to you if you are planning such a move. Any credit history you have in the UK will disappear and you have to start from zero. If it's anything like Canada they'll give you a social insurance number that reflects that you are on a work permit. Try getting credit and the first reaction is to bring out the crosses and the garlic to ward you off, so initially it will have to be "if i can't afford to pay for it in full I don't buy it".

The path to permanent residency and citizenship will be full of additional costs and some effort (for that you can thank all of those who gamed the system in previous years who added costly steps to avoid fraud seen previously.

I'm a member of an number of immigration forums and I'm seeing a lot of people who I would class as "immigration butterflies" looking to leave Oz for Canada, this would indicate that it's not that easy to settle there and they are looking for somewhere else for the better life.

Cabramatta, out to the west of Sydney. Lived there from 2 to 9 years old. We came back to the UK as my two older brothers were getting to an age where they may have been called up for the Vietnam war. I have never had the opportunity to go back although I have relatives still out there and may go visit when I retire in a few years time.
Ah yeah. They might have new airport built out that way by the time you go. Well, Badgers Creek.

brother moved their about 9 year ago as he was headhunted for a position, loves it. spent time in melbourne, sydney and near brisbane. best thing he's ever done and he's doing very well. hope to visit again soon, absolutely loved melbourne and spent 4 days in sydney also

brother moved their about 9 year ago as he was headhunted for a position, loves it. spent time in melbourne, sydney and near brisbane. best thing he's ever done and he's doing very well. hope to visit again soon, absolutely loved melbourne and spent 4 days in sydney also
but was it better than spennymoor?

Expensive to emigrate anywhere. Most countries are not looking to take in unskilled workers or those who cannot support themselves and their family. Lived in UAE and USA, both needed a chunk of change behind you to move across.

Alomost 50% of Brits who emigrate to OZ, return within 5 years apparently. Although other sources quote the figure as 33%. Maybe they don't know who's in their country, much like us.
That's because those given a sentence longer than 5 years are put in prisons here.

What he said
A mate from work who lived outside Durham got a fully paid relocation to Sydney, with a decent pay rise with his wife and 12 and 14 year old Daughters. They were both bright kids and played instruments and sports at a high level. Within 4 moths they all wanted to come home, and they did after 15 months.

He said he couldn't afford to do much (nee holiday in Bali even) and their standard of life was much better in Durham, but colder and less spiders.

He said the Aussies were lazy fuckers as well he said at work.

Last edited:
Just in the early stages of the process
What’s the reason for moving out there mate ? There’s normally something like redundancy that triggers such a move .
Dint blame any young ones for trying it , it’s easy to come back if doesn’t work out

good luck to the OP

Agree with this.......... and New Zealand is also mega expensive now.

Considering that OZ has just endured major bush fires and temperatures reaching 40 degrees and NZ has regular earthquakes it may be better taking you chances in Sunderland...

aye people get a bit hot under the collar about the team and that’s about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back