Mountain bike recommendations ?

box2box

Striker
going to take up a bit of cycling , as some new cycle routes have opened up near me, road and dirt type surfaces, 10-30 kms

Budget of £ 200-500, any recommendations for buying from brand new or gumtree/e bay ?

going to take up a bit of cycling , as some new cycle routes have opened up near me, road and dirt type surfaces, 10-30 kms

Budget of £ 200-500, any recommendations for buying from brand new or gumtree/e bay ?
Look online for discounted bikes in your size. I bought the boy a gt in your budget that had over 200 quid knocked off. It's only crime was it was last years model.

I saved 300 quid off a kona pahoehoe circa 2001 cos the new one had just come out, it's still going strong (in a triggers broom sort of way) 17 years later :lol:

Road biking is where it's at
Shurrup stiff back....

I don't ride a bike on the road because I can see how dangerous it is.

I don't ride a bike on the road because I can see how dangerous it is.
I always ride on the road 8 mile to work can say most drivers are sensible but fuck me there’s some right wankers too mainly van drivers

Tredz is a canny site I bought my 2017 Cube Ltd pro off there last year

You don't need a mountain bike for dirt type surfaces, I'm thinking pebbled walkways type dirt surfaces. You will need one for hilly and muddy and rocky type surfaces and a £200 MTB would explode on that. Maybe look towards a cyclo cross or hybrid bike and fit some schwalbe marathon plus tyres to it so you aren't fixing punctures every 5 miles.

I find road biking too boring, I prefer having a Hard Tail Mountain bike so it’s still decent enough if your on the roads but you can still crash up and down kerbs go off-road etc. If you can find someone who’s work runs the cycle to work scheme they get 40% off at participating cycle shops.

You won't find much better than this:

GT Avalanche Elite 29er Mountain Bike 2018 | Tredz Bikes

There are always deals at this time of year as the retailers clear stock but this one stands out

For that budget, I would recommend second hand as you’ll get far more for your money.

2018 Specialized Pitch Comp , Hard tail mountain bike For Sale

Pinkbike sales section is good as the bikes are priced to sell by people who generally know about bikes, so you don’t get unreasonable valuations as you do on eBay and the like.

Use the filter and post back on here for advice about the bike and spec for each price point.

I’d get down to cycleworld. The lads will sort you out although you will be top end of your budget. As a newbie they will give you loads of advice and make adjustments to your bike foc in the first year.

For that budget, I would recommend second hand as you’ll get far more for your money.

2018 Specialized Pitch Comp , Hard tail mountain bike For Sale

Pinkbike sales section is good as the bikes are priced to sell by people who generally know about bikes, so you don’t get unreasonable valuations as you do on eBay and the like.

Use the filter and post back on here for advice about the bike and spec for each price point.

good advice, have a look on www.singletrackworld.com too

Ive got a road bike that I use everyday, but I bought a cheapish Boardman hybrid to go out with the bairn for cycle rides, think I paid about £440 from Halfords for it. Does the job like.

I’d get down to cycleworld. The lads will sort you out although you will be top end of your budget. As a newbie they will give you loads of advice and make adjustments to your bike foc in the first year.
This ^ . Always been more than happy to help when I’ve been in.

For that budget id go nearly new second hand hardtail mountain bike, loads of people buy them and dont use them. Failing that id get an older model of even an ex display, you'd probably get a grands worth 2016 model for £500 quid.

Sorry OP for hijacking, but what would people recommend for around £1k? I’m getting in to mb’ing with my son, enjoyed Glentress but my old bone shaker isn’t up to snuff. Currently saving pennies get something decent. I’ve looked at mountain bike websites but there’s a lot of info to digest. I’m looking for something robust that is okay to use on roads and can tackle more of the 7stanes. Thanks in advance..

Sorry OP for hijacking, but what would people recommend for around £1k? I’m getting in to mb’ing with my son, enjoyed Glentress but my old bone shaker isn’t up to snuff. Currently saving pennies get something decent. I’ve looked at mountain bike websites but there’s a lot of info to digest. I’m looking for something robust that is okay to use on roads and can tackle more of the 7stanes. Thanks in advance..

Do you currently ride a hard tail? 7stanes can be ridden on. h/t but you will have a far more enjoyable time on a full sus.

2015 Whyte T130s For Sale

You’d negotiate something like that to nearer you budget.

Back