Mountain bike recommendations ?

Do you currently ride a hard tail? 7stanes can be ridden on. h/t but you will have a far more enjoyable time on a full sus.

2015 Whyte T130s For Sale

You’d negotiate something like that to nearer you budget.
Thanks - I’d be looking for full sus I think. That pink bikes looks a great site, I’m a bit nervous about the second hand market, I know that’s where there’s value to be had. I’m too new to it though have a trained eye about wear and tear.

Thanks - I’d be looking for full sus I think. That pink bikes looks a great site, I’m a bit nervous about the second hand market, I know that’s where there’s value to be had. I’m too new to it though have a trained eye about wear and tear.

The benefit of getting second hand is that the first owner has taken the hit in the significant loss that happens with the majority of bikes. The flip side is that the components may be worn and you may need to change, but the second hand component market is awash with kit.

This time of year is the best to buy as it’s the end of summer and those people who bought in spring with a view to get fit over summer and didn’t means there are bargains with light use to be had.

As mentioned earlier, a bike is like trigger’s broom. Get a good frame and view the other components as future upgrades.

At your budget go hardtail, A decent hardtail is better than a crap full-sus.
Exactly this. Plus a full suspension will give you over confidence as it soaks over the bumps therefore you can end up going too fast, feeling the back end of a hardtail bashing off the bumps gives you a better perception of how quick you are going

Exactly this. Plus a full suspension will give you over confidence as it soaks over the bumps therefore you can end up going too fast, feeling the back end of a hardtail bashing off the bumps gives you a better perception of how quick you are going

Hmm, seat down and stand on pedals and you feel nowt too.

going to take up a bit of cycling , as some new cycle routes have opened up near me, road and dirt type surfaces, 10-30 kms

Budget of £ 200-500, any recommendations for buying from brand new or gumtree/e bay ?

If that's the kind of riding you have in mind and will likely be sticking to, I think you're best not looking at a MTB. At that price point you're going to be riding around on a heavy lump of a thing, with fatter tyres than you need (and consequently less fun on the road/paved bits) and more weight on front suspension you simply don't need. You might be better off looking at something that's sold as an all-road/adventure/gravel bike or a hybrid.

Back